Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
One of the manuals you sent me tells how to adjust the cable among other things. Look at the 225 on Scots site and you will see the white thing in front of the shift lever. Come on, pay attention!!
I asked about a lever up there in a different thread, on a different snow Bird model and never got an answer. It was in another spot by the shifter lever, it was along side of it not in the front like yours. That is what it must be for, I see it now on Scott's site.
I don't have any on mine?

Now.........what does a chute release lever do?
I guess it unlocks the chute, :rolleyes: but you need to explain the working principals of the lever, hows it work? Does it somehow connect to the chutes crank rod to keep it from turning?
I guess I don't have one as they figured that you didn't need a chute lock anyway? Why would you need one, my chute doesn't move around by itself while operating it? Though I have not blown any snow yet it seems like a lock lever would just be more of an annoyance, instead of a benefit.

So.....that is how you adjust the cable?
Look at the manual? :rolleyes:
Sounds easy enough, I guess I will have to go and look.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It's alive!!! Put on a pot of coffee this afternoon and kicked in the turbo. Got it back together and she started on the 4th pull. Purrs like a kitten! The toughest part - feeding the starter rope through the tube on the front shroud. I ended up taping a small toothpick size piece of wood to the rope and feeding it through. I'll try to get some outside shots tomorrow. This machine would be a PITA for me to use as my regular blower. You have to stop the machine and go to the side to rotate the chute. On my JD I'm constantly adjusting the chute on the fly.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This machine would be a PITA for me to use as my regular blower. You have to stop the machine and go to the side to rotate the chute. On my JD I'm constantly adjusting the chute on the fly.
I am glad I have the 226 model, my chute moves back and forth when you turn the crank by the handle bars..................as it should, no need to stop and go to the side to rotate?:confused:

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Mine does that too. But as you rotate the barrel, the chute only rotates a little before it drops down so low you are shooting the snow straight down onto the ground. I would think for maximum throwage you would have to keep the chute at T.D.C. and rotate it manually.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What did you do buy a snow making machine?:D

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It's been snowing here every day for two weeks! We've gotten some rainfall that settled it some. I forgot what the sun looks like!!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I've had the opportunity to use this machine several times now. I have to say it's not meant to handle very heavy snow. The little 4 h.p. B&S just doesn't have the cajones. It's very awkward to use, I'll never get used to the auger driving the wheels, which definitely need chains. This machine spends alot of time spinning. It really needs more than the one gear it has, which is too fast! But it is a cool little machine, I do have a blast with it. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of the 26" models next.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That is what I was thinking about the one speed.
Maybe get some chains?
I saw a couple working on youtube and they were just eating up the big hard snow that had been sitting for a while on the side of their driveways.
Maybe all you need is more traction?

I know right now that the handle bars sit too low for me.
But I have yet to use mine, no snow.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
chute cable

Hey Guys,

just picked up a 226 for 50 bux and runs like a champ...cept the chute cable broke.....saw the pick of kind of how the cable orients around everything....but can anyone help guide me to how the cable really does go around so I'm not guessing based on the picture.....

does it come up out from where the chain is...go around twice around the vertical pulley wheel, then slalom around the two horizontal wheels, and through and end at the hole in the turret of the chute? or does it go around some how twice around the chute turrett

I haven't taken it about beyond that turret off and the pulley cover...so I haven't seen the layout under the main cover.....but how does it know to rotate one direction and then rotate the other direction

i'm probably way over thinking it but.....that's me

or....does the cable come out twice from under the main cover...and when the drum spins one way it tugs and turns the turrett, and then when the drum goes the other way...it pulls the turret from the opposite cable and rotates it the other way??

thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey Guys,

just picked up a 226 for 50 bux and runs like a champ...cept the chute cable broke.....saw the pick of kind of how the cable orients around everything....but can anyone help guide me to how the cable really does go around so I'm not guessing based on the picture.....

does it come up out from where the chain is...go around twice around the vertical pulley wheel, then slalom around the two horizontal wheels, and through and end at the hole in the turret of the chute? or does it go around some how twice around the chute turrett

I haven't taken it about beyond that turret off and the pulley cover...so I haven't seen the layout under the main cover.....but how does it know to rotate one direction and then rotate the other direction

i'm probably way over thinking it but.....that's me

or....does the cable come out twice from under the main cover...and when the drum spins one way it tugs and turns the turrett, and then when the drum goes the other way...it pulls the turret from the opposite cable and rotates it the other way??

thanks

Jim
Welcome to the site, just seeing your question.

By any chance did you get this Snow Bird in Jersey? Central Jersey?

I looked through the manual and it doesn't tell you much about the cable.

Now we been waiting for Whitebassbenny to post some pictures of a fix he did to his Craftsman? Top secret because he has not said a word.:rolleyes:
In this thread,
http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/31825-snowbird-chute-cable-repair.html

I think he might realize that his repair is totally different from the Snow Birds cable replacement?

Now the OP of this thread had his all apart, to bad he didn't take some pictures of the cable hookup. Greenmtman do you have any impute on the cable?
I have never had mine apart enough to see how it is hooked up. If I do I am going to take pictures.
Steely Tim said he has screwed around with the cable one time maybe he might have some impute here? I guess he has not seen the question yet?

It looks like it just hooks to the pulley?
How it is routed I would have to take mine apart and look.

Do you have this? Take a look, but what you're asking it doesn't show you much.

(I linked something but it did not work) But you said you saw the picture anyway, do you have the manual?

Well if anything I bumped the post maybe someone will comment.
I would like to know or see pictures of where that cable goes too.

I would still like to see Whitebassbenny's fix to his Craftsman cable too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Can't see much, did you happen to see how it wraps on the pulley while you were working on it?

Did you find that Snow Bird yet?The one that was on Craigslist?

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have some parts from mine I was trying to sell on ebay,I am in vt too,let me know what you need,if you can pick them up,they will be yours.terry

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i have some parts from mine I was trying to sell on ebay,I am in vt too,let me know what you need,if you can pick them up,they will be yours.terry
Hey Terry, it might be best to try to sell these in season.
Post them say, come October?

I have not logged on for a while, I was just sitting here in all the heat and humidity thinking about snow.:wavetowel2:

Then realized I have not logged on here in a while.

Hello all.....soon the snows will come. :)

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Welcome to the forum offrdracin :welcome:

Did you put a link to your listing in the classifieds and the Craigslist/ebay sections ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have parts,i am scrapping out a snowbird,look at my pics,most things if you pay for shipping,they are free,terry

41 - 60 of 66 Posts