Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that I have a 1964 Ariens, 24" 6 HP snow blower... Serial #10 ML60D, Tecumseh Serial #4291 (or #4297 ?), 04703. I believe the serial # means that it is a 1964, built the 291st day? There is no nameplate on the handle bars, the handle bars are also chrome, not white like I have seen on some 64's (not sure if that means anything). It has the half tear drop bucket, side shields, round chute & 1 drift cutter. Not sure if it is a Gard n Yard model or just a regular. Any guidance as to what I have would be appreciated...

Now to try and get her running!!

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
How about some photos?

Edit: I missed that you mentioned it had the round chute and side plates. This is most likely a 64 or earlier first gen machine as noted below by rwh963 and Oneacer with the ratchet style differential.

I would call that a 1965 model, as the engine was built late 1964. 10ML60D is the model #, there should also be a serial #.
The aluminum Ariens nameplate piece on the handle bars is often missing, as they tended to crack in the middle over the years.
Your machine should have the differential lock out on the left wheel, that is what the D stands for in the Model #. Therefore could be used with the Gard n Yard accessories. Does it have the air cleaner assembly as well as the heater box?
The 6 HP units usually had the chrome handle bars, as they were the top of the line machine in the mid 60's.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
On the 10ML60D with the chrome handle bars, that unit will probably have the ratchet differential on each side .... great zero turn option back then .... I have them on my 10ML60D.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
You guys are right, the bucket and chute indicate this is a first gen machine from 64 or earlier. I edited my earlier post.

·
Registered
893 Posts
On the 10ML60D with the chrome handle bars, that unit will probably have the ratchet differential on each side .... great zero turn option back then .... I have them on my 10ML60D.
IF the springs are intact; otherwise, good luck finding these unobtanium parts!!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I believe that I have a 1964 Ariens, 24" 6 HP snow blower... Serial #10 ML60D, Tecumseh Serial #4291 (or #4297 ?), 04703. I believe the serial # means that it is a 1964, built the 291st day? There is no nameplate on the handle bars, the handle bars are also chrome, not white like I have seen on some 64's (not sure if that means anything). It has the half tear drop bucket, side shields, round chute & 1 drift cutter. Not sure if it is a Gard n Yard model or just a regular. Any guidance as to what I have would be appreciated...

Now to try and get her running!!
This site may be of interest you, a member here started this.

Reactions: sscotsman

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Photos of my 10ml60d which does not have Friction springs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Friction springs are available if you know who to ask

Attachments

Reactions: Oneacer and rwh963

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good find there KSnow ! Hope you try to keep it as original as possible.
Impatiently waiting on some snow to put my 64 to work.
Here is mine I saved frome the scrap yard My 10ML60 .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts