Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that I have a 1964 Ariens, 24" 6 HP snow blower... Serial #10 ML60D, Tecumseh Serial #4291 (or #4297 ?), 04703. I believe the serial # means that it is a 1964, built the 291st day? There is no nameplate on the handle bars, the handle bars are also chrome, not white like I have seen on some 64's (not sure if that means anything). It has the half tear drop bucket, side shields, round chute & 1 drift cutter. Not sure if it is a Gard n Yard model or just a regular. Any guidance as to what I have would be appreciated...

Now to try and get her running!!

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
How about some photos?

Edit: I missed that you mentioned it had the round chute and side plates. This is most likely a 64 or earlier first gen machine as noted below by rwh963 and Oneacer with the ratchet style differential.

I would call that a 1965 model, as the engine was built late 1964. 10ML60D is the model #, there should also be a serial #.
The aluminum Ariens nameplate piece on the handle bars is often missing, as they tended to crack in the middle over the years.
Your machine should have the differential lock out on the left wheel, that is what the D stands for in the Model #. Therefore could be used with the Gard n Yard accessories. Does it have the air cleaner assembly as well as the heater box?
The 6 HP units usually had the chrome handle bars, as they were the top of the line machine in the mid 60's.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
On the 10ML60D with the chrome handle bars, that unit will probably have the ratchet differential on each side .... great zero turn option back then .... I have them on my 10ML60D.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I believe that I have a 1964 Ariens, 24" 6 HP snow blower... Serial #10 ML60D, Tecumseh Serial #4291 (or #4297 ?), 04703. I believe the serial # means that it is a 1964, built the 291st day? There is no nameplate on the handle bars, the handle bars are also chrome, not white like I have seen on some 64's (not sure if that means anything). It has the half tear drop bucket, side shields, round chute & 1 drift cutter. Not sure if it is a Gard n Yard model or just a regular. Any guidance as to what I have would be appreciated...

Now to try and get her running!!
This site may be of interest you, a member here started this.

Reactions: sscotsman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How about some photos?

Edit: I missed that you mentioned it had the round chute and side plates. This is most likely a 64 or earlier first gen machine as noted below by rwh963 and Oneacer with the ratchet style differential.

I would call that a 1965 model, as the engine was built late 1964. 10ML60D is the model #, there should also be a serial #.
The aluminum Ariens nameplate piece on the handle bars is often missing, as they tended to crack in the middle over the years.
Your machine should have the differential lock out on the left wheel, that is what the D stands for in the Model #. Therefore could be used with the Gard n Yard accessories. Does it have the air cleaner assembly as well as the heater box?
The 6 HP units usually had the chrome handle bars, as they were the top of the line machine in the mid 60's.
It has the air cleaner (not shown), no heater box. The serial # is 10ML60D, there is a serial # 7-10M and also 60932 on the blower below the chute. So does this sound like a Grad n Yard?
Handwriting Wood Wall Motor vehicle Gas
Motor vehicle Window Wood Paint Font
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Wood
Door Wheelbarrow Wood Automotive tire Plant
Door Wood Grass Plant Red
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Tire
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Yes, your model can be used with the Gard n Yard attachments as D at the end of the model # means Deluxe, which came with the ratchet wheel differential.
I would guess that at one time your tractor may have been used with one of the other Gard n Yard attachments as it came with the air cleaner assembly for non winter use.
The heater box must have been misplaced over the years or maybe the blower attachment was bought separately and a heater box never installed?

Nice machine, great candidate for a refurb some day, or get the mechanicals up to sniff and run it as is, it is only original once.

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
I was just following along on this one but noticed the ratchet springs, the Bolens project I am working on has that type of hub assembly as well. Just putting it out there as a "the more you know."
Does this system work well? I only ask because I am working on the Bolens in close quarters currently and when the ratchets lock I have to sometimes turn the drive flywheel back or I can't maneuver it as the wheels remain "locked."

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
On the Ariens ratchet hub drives on each side, the unit will spin in place, as well as roll and corner freely.

Not familiar with a Bolens with this set-up? I understand Ariens only had it as an option for a year or 2 ....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just service a ratchet wheel a couple weeks ago and its grease had separated. Those ratchet leaf springs have to slide inside a cup. There is grease between the spring and cup to reduce friction. Oil in the grease separates from the thickener; leaving behind a hardened, wax-like material with no lubricating capability... then the spring breaks.

That original grease was probably lithium grease. I wonder if disc brake caliper pin grease would be a better choice? Maybe waterproof grease as used on boat trailer wheel bearings?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.