Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this snowblower two years ago as a backup to my 1999 Troy-Bilt GTX 20 garden tractor with 46" 2 stage snowblower. Snowblower was made for IH Cub Cadet by Ariens and has a B&S motor. Previous owner painted the motor and metal panel on the handlebars. Cub Cadet wouldn't blow snow very well so I put it in the shed until last week. Pulled it out, replaced the fuel and filter and got it running.

A search on the internet led me to the snowblowerforum where I read about adding rubber pieces to the impeller blades. Also saw how-to videos on youtube. There was 1/2" gaps between the blades and the housing. I modified all 4 blades with baler belt and was only able to test it on 2" of snow in my yard. It actualy blew that little of snow. It snowed last night and I'll check it out in the yard after I get home from work and clear the driveway with the tractor.

Before and after pics of one of the impeller blades.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That's some pretty major gapage you got there. Glad you found out about us and looks like the fix will help a great deal.

Stick around, we tend to solve all problems here, maybe even some that have yet to become a problem. Yup, we are that good,,,,,,,,,,, (tongue in cheek mind you)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 4" of snow we got turned to slush when it started raining and temps got into the 40's. Didn't use either blower, shoveled the slush with my 4' wide shovel. Maybe I'll get the chance to use the Cub Cadet for the next storm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We had 5" of dry fluffy snow earlier in the week and used the Cub Cadet for clearing the paths in the back yard and it worked well. I didn't get any video at that time.

We got 8" of dry fluffy snow yesterday and cleared the driveway with my garden tractor/46" 2 stage blower and cab. This is my primary snow blower for the driveway due to the size of it. I used the Cub Cadet for the back yard this morning and my girlfriend took a video. It blows snow pretty good since I modified the impeller compared to when I first got it. Does the snowblowing distance look normal for this vintage snow blower with an impeller kit?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. Might do better if you could speed the impeller up, but that looks like the style with only 1 belt so you can't adjust the impeller without changing the drive speeds. Would probably throw better if the snow was a bit deeper or heavier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts