Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 1974 ST832 that has a wheel that keeps falling off and I dont understand what it is supposed to attach too. Ive attached pics. Do the splines just slide into the drive sprocket without anything securing it? I never knew it just sat in there unsecured until it fell out 4 times today. That wheel has a locking differential if that matters. Is the shaft on the locking differential supposed to be attached to something? I just slides out of the wheel hub.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Something sure looks wrong there. In your third picture, there should be a cross pin holding the lock hub to that shaft right where your hand is? The piece of shaft you have in pic 3 is supposed to stay attached to the right hand side axle. The complete axle is supposed to slide out the right by removing the cross pin in the hub in your hand. If you pull the right hand side you'll see it has a thicker shaft with splines to fit the differential and the thinner shaft in picture 3 should fit inside that thicker shaft. Here's a pic of a complete RT axle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Something sure looks wrong there. Here's a pic of a complete RT axle.
Ah k so the shaft in pic 3 should be attached to the right side axel, that makes more sense, that would be what keeps the wheel on too. Looking closely at the end of the shaft in pic 3 it does look like it was snapped off at one point. Thanks

$180 for a new right hand axel shaft ouch!

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah that's pretty steep for one piece of the puzzle. Can't tell if there's enough left to drill a cross pin hole, or maybe weld?
Then you'd have to worry about concentric runout.

Don't know the used market around you but I'd look for a complete machine with blown engine or similar for cheap if yours is in decent shape otherwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts