Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I bought the above snowblower a couple months ago and got it running. I went to use it and two things have happened. the recoil starter exploded its spring out when I had it off the machine and the electric starter has worn its mounting screw holes out.

The recoil starter has the 4 hole starter that no one seems to have any more.

the electric starter works and will start it but it is slowly destroying the threads that hold the screw and it wont hold it tight anymore.

any suggestions...helicoil??

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have obsolete Recoils Available. First photo is probably the one you need. If your engine is in tune, it should start in one pull.
PM if interested.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Drill and retap a size larger or helicoil and use a thread locker.

Most importantly instead of us guessing what it is you have how about posting the model numbers from the blower and the engine ??

Photo or two would be nice of the recoil and the damaged holes for the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine is an Ariens HM100 159024C
Ariens blower is 924044

I dont have a pic of the recoil starter but the dogs stick out past the mounting surface. every other one I have seen they do not.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
helicoil is the best bet as to retap the next size larger, you may run into interference with the larger bolt heads, as those engines do not have much clearance for a socket on the bolt heads as it is. Just remember those are blind holes, they do NOT go all the way thru into the block! If you drill them as such, you may have problems getting them to seal (oil leak) plus the issue of shavings in the block circulating with the oil.... just be careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts