Snowblower Forum banner

Which company made the better blower in 1987 mid to late 80's, Ariens or Toro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The year was 1987, who made the better Snowblower? Ariens or Toro? I put two machines built the same year side by side and started comparing. Here are a few things I have noticed. Off the bat, the paint on the Ariens failed and gets an F for this period, Toro's paint, still holding on strong. Toros handlebar stance was higher. Ariens wins as far as chute height, which bucket is better, debatable. Right now for 1987 and the mid to late 1980's, I'm leaning Toro. What do you think? Try to use designs and features, performance, which machine holds up better over time, which has less breakdowns and weak points to explain your decision, some opinions on what designs you like are okay. If you only own one of the two machines, try to keep your vote impartial to what you see. Cast your ballot and leave a comment below. Thanks, this should be interesting.
Please respond properly, do not respond on why you think I chose one over the other or if the poll is fair. Simply reply which machine in your opinion is better and why and place a vote. The initial comments didn't reply properly. Both units have roughly the same amount of use and were stored the same way, the amAriens isn't completely ready for sale yet, as they both will be, however paint on both is original. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
133 Posts
From thepictures of your machines I see you are selling the toro. That's voting with your feet as the saying goes.
:>)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I have not owned either brand of this era, so can't speak of which is the better machine, but I think they are both great machines. Looking forward to see which one is thought to be the better machine.

However, I don't think it's fair to compare the mint condition Toro paint to the well worn paint condition on the Ariens. Any machine stored outdoors, worked hard, poorly maintained, used on gravel driveway, put away with salt residue etc. will have paint issues. I have seen large paint loss and bad rust on both makes, depends on the machines history most of the time.

Reactions: Darby and Grunt

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
QUOTE="Darby, post: 1778980, member: 141474"]
From thepictures of your machines I see you are selling the toro. That's voting with your feet as the saying goes.
[/QUOTE]
My personal machine below and how it shows, I have not voted on my feet one way or the other based on anything but the two machines and how they were built. You have not voted or said which machine you prefer and why, just speculated on why I prefer one over the other, which is wrong. Re-read question and comment properly and cast your ballot.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have not owned either brand of this era, so can't speak of which is the better machine, but I think they are both great machines. Looking forward to see which one is thought to be the better machine.

However, I don't think it's fair to compare the mint condition Toro paint to the well worn paint condition on the Ariens. Any machine stored outdoors, worked hard, poorly maintained, used on gravel driveway, put away with salt residue etc. will have paint issues. I have seen large paint loss and bad rust on both makes, depends on the machines history most of the time.

View attachment 178399 View attachment 178404
Both units are low hour units. The Ariens will be as clean as the Toro in the very near future, but far more attention to paint and cosmetics have to be dealt with on the Ariens. The Ariens was garaged its entire existence, still has its original scraper with little wear and skids, the Toros original skids were fully worn out, more hours on the Toro. The Toro sat under a tarp behind my building a year before I got to it. Ariens built after 1981 are notorious and known for having their paint peel off in sheets. They removed the lead and changed their process of painting in 81. Issue wasn't rectified for about 15 years. I have 1971 Ariens that are my primary blowers that have the superior paint job with the lead, nothing takes that paint off.
Even as an owner of Ariens my personal impartial view for 1987 is Toro, leg up, definitely the better paint of the two. I can update the post to show them both in mint condition later, but it will still have to be noted that nothing had to be done to the Toro except wash it, whereas the Ariens will have needed major cosmetic renovations for a unit with low hours that sat in a garage. The photos you posted, we don't know, if that's a 1980 model Ariens prior to the paint process change, or if it had been repainted.
It will be interesting to see what the vote comes out as. Don't forget to cast your ballot. Thanks for commenting. Photo of my personal machine attached, to show I am not choosing one brand over the other because of which I use, but that my opinion is founded purely on conjecture of the two machines.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 178399 View attachment 178404
Both machines have their advantages and disadvantages. Started working on the Ariens, not gonna lie, Ariens is growing on me fast lol. But lets see what the overall concensus is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe we should restart this whole thing.
It is fun to go over the strengths and weaknesses of each machones, and during history. We can compare to where we are now, why some companies have weak points that either stay generations or switch. But this is not working. And a bit of animus is not helping

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
133 Posts
QUOTE="Darby, post: 1778980, member: 141474"]
My personal machine below and how it shows, I have not voted on my feet one way or the other based on anything but the two machines and how they were built. You have not voted or said which machine you prefer and why, just speculated on why I prefer one over the other, which is wrong. Re-read question and comment properly and cast your ballot. Otherwise don't reply and remove your first comment. Thank's.
[/QUOTE]

I was playing you. haha funny joke. Levity, you know. Or not
Geesh.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My personal machine below and how it shows, I have not voted on my feet one way or the other based on anything but the two machines and how they were built. You have not voted or said which machine you prefer and why, just speculated on why I prefer one over the other, which is wrong. Re-read question and comment properly and cast your ballot. Otherwise don't reply and remove your first comment. Thank's.
I was playing you. haha funny joke. Levity, you know. Or not
Geesh.
[/QUOTE]
No, its cool, I'm working on this Ariens now, its growing on me, I actually plan on keeping it, that was the plan, as an upgrade to my old 71" 24 wide, but people are not getting the idea of the thread now, which they think is better and take the poll. Another individual doesn't think its a fair comparison because of the conditions of the two machines. So later when I'm done, I'll edit both photos to show before and after's of both, which is better and why, take the poll, trying to keep it as simple as possible here.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Maybe we should restart this whole thing.
It is fun to go over the strengths and weaknesses of each machones, and during history. We can compare to where we are now, why some companies have weak points that either stay generations or switch. But this is not working. And a bit of animus is not helping
Thing's started off a bit rough, but have turned around. Folks are commenting on why they prefer one over the other and ballots are being cast, were headed the right way now. I will update the post with before and after photos when the Ariens is done.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK guys... report noted, posts stand. Maybe there were misunderstandings.

Live and learn, and let's take it easy in here.

Much appreciated, thanks.
No problem. Things started out a bit bumpy, but have since turned around. We now have people commenting on which machine they prefer and why and ballots cast. When I am done working on the Ariens I will post before and after photos of both machines, which will help balance the playing field.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have both machines. The operating controls on Ariens are more intuitive for me. Either machine is probably similar build quality although the Toro auger probably is better at reducing clogging.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
If most Ariens machines of this era suffer the paint loss that Dusty points out (and that does appear to be the case), then that is a big strike against the Ariens machines.

No matter how well they were stored or maintained will help with the poor metal prep and paint or powdercoat that is shown in Dusty's video on the other thread.

Reactions: Dusty

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thread is starting to get interesting, we have comments on which machine is preferred and why and ballots cast. We have one in the lead slightly, but its early yet. Lets keep this good energy going.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have two 10000 series Ariens in running condition-never use them,don't really like them.

I have three Ariens ST824's all in running condition-only use 1 when my Simplicity(Allis) 828 is down(rarely).Don't really care for the ST824's either.

Up until recently I had a Toro 521 re-powered with a Grehound 6.5 hp engine.That little Toro would throw snow further than any of the other machines,especially wet snow.It was just too small and slow for the amount of blowing I have to do.

I would rather have your Toro than the Ariens,based on my experience.

If I could find a Briggs-era Snapper 826 in excellent condition,I would trade all my Ariens for it in a heartbeat.Maybe even toss in the Allis.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have two 10000 series Ariens in running condition-never use them,don't really like them.

I have three Ariens ST824's all in running condition-only use 1 when my Simplicity(Allis) 828 is down(rarely).Don't really care for the ST824's either.

Up until recently I had a Toro 521 re-powered with a Grehound 6.5 hp engine.That little Toro would throw snow further than any of the other machines,especially wet snow.It was just too small and slow for the amount of blowing I have to do.

I would rather have your Toro than the Ariens,based on my experience.

If I could find a Briggs-era Snapper 826 in excellent condition,I would trade all my Ariens for it in a heartbeat.Maybe even toss in the Allis.
Well, since Snapper wasn't part of the vote and it doesn't effect the ballot, I can also personally say I've had two Snappers an 8/24 and now a 10/26 that original had a 9hp, both with Tecumseh Snowking's and those are fantastic blowers. I used them commercially, I got 10 years 1200 hours out of the first one the 8/24 before I retired it and now I currently have the 10/26. Those things dig into heavy snow hard and launch it, no matter which engine you have, its their design, well made units. Actually this Ariens ST824 is very similar in design the buckets are almost identical and the augers I believe are identical. Only real weak point on the snapper are bronze bushing that slide directly into the frame for the axle. I had one of my bushings wear out on me, I didn't catch it until after the axle had eaten into the frame, in order to repair that, I had to get a reciprocating saw and cut a circle into the frame, drill 3 holes and add a bushing support to the frame that ordered off an Ariens 10,000, I had to punch the snappers bronze bushing into the Ariens support and bolt it to the snappers frame to repair it. The Ariens 10,000 uses bushing supports and the Ariens ST824 has ball bearings for the axle and impeller and a few other spots, one of the few periods Ariens used bearings or any snowblower in general used bearings, a huge advantage for that machine. They wear out, but their easily replaceable, aside from that those Snappers of that period are heavy contenders with these two brands and any other quality brand out their at the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts