Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Common misconception on the color combo on these 80's Ariens, people think their Orange and black. They aren't its orange and dark brown, outleast 86, 87, 88 were for sure, my 1987 is stock orange and dark brown. Not sure if the 1980 is too, that might be orange and black, not sure, but for ahwile they were orange and brown, the handles, engine, augers, impeller, belt guard, etc, its dark brown, not black.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
The color you call dark brown looks like dark gunmetal gray to me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The color you call dark brown looks like dark gunmetal gray to me.
It doesn't show up well in photos, but its a very dark brown, no grey. The belt guard and tank show it the best. Without looking at it closely or in person most assumed they were all Orange and black from 1980 on, they weren't, these were Orange and brown. A short lived color combo outside the box, that and the white rims, it was the rarest of all the color combos Ariens ever did.
The front engine shroud looks kinda like a gutmetal grey, that was Tecumseh's responsiblity, the rest of it including the handles and dash are a brown, the belt guard in the right light shows it best, the dash and handle are the exact same color as that belt guard, a vety dark shade of brown, kinda cool actually.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its really weird, in the shade it looks more like that gunmetal grey, in the sun it looks brown.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can't say with certainty but I have a hard time believing that Tecumseh would cast a brown fuel tank to provide Ariens with a matching color scheme. I'm thinking the engine and tank started either black or dark gray. Plastic could certainly oxidize or lose some of the plasticizers over time and experience a color shift.

Computer monitors are also notoriously poor for displaying accurate colors. I am not disputing your machine is not brown and orange, but I have never seen a brown version in person in all my travels.

Reactions: oneboltshort

·
Registered
333 Posts
Neither have I seen any brown Ariens. I do have a golf friend who cannot tell the difference between between black and red though:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts