Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You didn't answer in your other thread about chroming the chute rods you fixed?
How about repainting the whole machine.:) (y)
Sure would look nice all redone, nice and shiny.
A nice summertime project? ;)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Here is a link for the other thread so others won't have to look.

Nice machine. (y)

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
John Deere 826
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't answer in your other thread about chroming the chute rods you fixed?
How about repainting the whole machine.:) (y)
Sure would look nice all redone, nice and shiny.
A nice summertime project? ;)
I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. I made a different post as this doesn’t have anything to die with the chute crank modification.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. I made a different post as this doesn’t have anything to die with the chute crank modification.
OK
What happened to the horns that show in the first picture?
I will guess that the exhaust is not factory stock and someone welded a piece on to the muffler?
In the other thread someone asked if the exhaust stack is from a 1970 Trans-Am. I guess you don't know?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The early John Deeres are such cool looking and well built machines.

Nice to have the photo with the original owner, is he the one that installed the horns, flags and chrome exhaust tips? If so, he sure has a sense of humour. He definitely took good care of that machine.

From the photos the paint looks pretty good. If it was mine I would just degrease the entire machine and give it a good clean up and wax. Check and replace auger and axle bushings and impeller bearing if required. If the auger housing interior and inside chute are showing a lot of bare metal and rust I would probably do some disassembly and sand, prime and paint those areas.

That being said, I only intended to do the auger housing and inside chute on my Ariens that my father purchased new in 1968. However it turned into a complete restoration. :cool:

Showcase link:

·
Registered
John Deere 826
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK
What happened to the horns that show in the first picture?
I will guess that the exhaust is not factory stock and someone welded a piece on to the muffler?
In the other thread someone asked if the exhaust stack is from a 1970 Trans-Am. I guess you don't know?
When I got it, it was in sad shape. The horns were gone, light was broken, there was battery and more wiring (bad wiring) than you could shake a stick at. I basically removed everything but the exhaust! I removed the interlock and safety handles. The interlock was bad (wire broken off) and I don't think I will replace it. It takes me paying a little more attention, but is significantly easier to run.

I'm sure the exhaust tip is NOT from a 70's Trans Am. It does look similar though. It looks to me to be a cheapo from an auto parts store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Working on a JD 826 replacing intake valve seal and noticed a lot of clearance on the intake .030 have any idea why this could be. Exhaust in good shape could the valve be worn that much? This machine has not run in 7 years.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
I bet that is LOUD!
It looks like someone went through the trouble of making an adapter to weld to the original muffler that attaches the exhaust stack so likely less loud than stock.
And then cut the pre heater box to fit the assembly.

It's just strange to me to see an older guy with the exhaust, horns, light, straight up drift bars with the flags attached. More like something a teenager might do.
Wondering if he has one of those gyro cup holders for a highball on the handlebars inside the cab ?? 🙃

1 - 12 of 12 Posts