Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and looked through all the past threads but didn't see an answer. I have an old 1986 Toro 824 Model: 38080 and it's going strong!!! The other day there was some wet heavy snow and the auger/impeller stop turning! I checked the shear pins/bolts on the auger and all are intact. I checked the impeller key and it's there. I checked the auger/impeller belt and seems a bit loose (I adjusted a little but didn't do anything). When the machine is off I can grab the belt and turn the impeller/auger. Do I just need to replace the auger/impeller belt (I have toro part number 26-9670 for a new belt). When I start the engine and engage the auger/impeller nothing is turning. Is it the belt that spins and gives power to the auger/impeller? Thank you in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, the belt will rotate along the output shaft of the engine and the impeller pulley below the output shaft. Have you taken off the belt cover and watched the belt and pulleys when running and engaged? Along with a worn out belt, other possibilities are the bolt in the end of the output shaft has come loose and the pulley sheaves are not contacting the belt, the cable for the belt tensioner has broken (the handle will be very loose when being engaged), or your impeller bearing is toast and the pulley and shaft are moving up and down when the belt is engaged (happened to my recent Toro rescue machine).

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum monstermike. The Toro belt number 26-9670 is the correct auger belt you need. If an emergency or you want to save some money, pick up a 4L400 (1/2" x 40") from a local hardware store and it will work fine if everything else is functioning as it should.

Go to https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm and type in your model number 38080 and your serial number found on the rear left of the snow blower to get an owners manual for proper and safe installation of the new belt. I hope this helps, good luck.

Reactions: Terrance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I found the Toro 26-9670 belt replacement part at a local dealer I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow and take some pics of what things are looking as it is now before I swap out the belt. Hopefully it's just the belt! Many thanks for you assistance.

Mike

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Thanks guys. I found the Toro 26-9670 belt replacement part at a local dealer I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow and take some pics of what things are looking as it is now before I swap out the belt. Hopefully it's just the belt! Many thanks for you assistance.

Mike
That is what we are here for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Played hockey last night so didn't get a chance to pickup the new belt but I took some pics for you to have a look at the situation. Not sure if they will help. Everything is rotating smoothly when I turn the belt by hand and the bottom pulley isn't loose. Any other thoughts? Plan to grab a new belt after work tonight. Thanks

Mike

IMG_20150113_182418.jpg

IMG_20150113_182439.jpg

IMG_20150113_182451.jpg

IMG_20150113_182459.jpg

IMG_20150113_182527.jpg

IMG_20150113_182540.jpg

IMG_20150113_182557.jpg

IMG_20150113_182614.jpg

IMG_20150113_182720.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
The belts don't look terrible, but they certainly don't look new. I don't know where you're located, but I normally get my belts from Fleet Farm because they are 1/2 the price of the Toro labeled ones and are essentially the same. I just replaced my auger belt on a Toro Powershift 824 because it was starting to bog down in heavy snow. It was fine last year, but now it was slipping.

Throw a new auger belt on there and see what happens. I think it will take care of your problem.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It looks like there is some slack in the auger belt on the un-tensioned side when viewing the sixth picture. Have you tried adjusting the engagement rod with the clevis to increase pressure on the belt? There are a lot of belt fibers in the area which tells me the belt is worn, stretched or slipping. I would replace the belt and adjust the engagement rod if necessary. Were these photos taken with the auger lever ENGAGED??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like there is some slack in the auger belt on the un-tensioned side when viewing the sixth picture. Have you tried adjusting the engagement rod with the clevis to increase pressure on the belt? There are a lot of belt fibers in the area which tells me the belt is worn, stretched or slipping. I would replace the belt and adjust the engagement rod if necessary. Were these photos taken with the auger lever ENGAGED??

Some were taken with it engaged and not engaged. Thanks

Mike

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
STICK A FORK in those belts they are well done. like BROTHER GRUNT said check the adjustment . if you do not know how to do that. JUST ASK 1 of us here. some ones always here somewhere.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
657 Posts
What happens when you squeeze the auger engagement handle? does the tensioner move and snug the belt tight or nothing ? or the belt snugs slightly and not much difference. Former would be cable, latter would be stretched belt. Be sure and get thick PTO belts and not thinner automotive type (like and alternator belt) as they are more apt to stretch. I got my kevlar belts at Tractor Supply but a bloweer dealer would have nice quality belts. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I called the local Toro dealer and said he had 3 in stock. Went last night and they couldn't find one??? Called another toro dealer today and they have 4 so I'll try and swing by there tonight.

Pathfinder when I push the auger engagement handle forward (there's no cable it's just a solid rod) the tensioner moves and snugs the belt but nothing turns. I adjusted the rod slightly but didn't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
When raising the auger handle, it should snap into position with some pressure applied to it. If it raises easily, it needs more adjustment to push harder against the belt. Since you are getting a new belt, wait until it is installed before making any more adjustments on the old belt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pathfinder when I push the auger engagement handle forward (there's no cable it's just a solid rod) the tensioner moves and snugs the belt but nothing turns. I adjusted the rod slightly but didn't make much of a difference.
Could it be that the auger bearing is toast and the belts are just slipping on the pulleys when the engagement handle is on? It would explain why the auger isn't spinning with proper belt tension... my 826 currently needs the belts re-tightened (on my to-do list), but the auger still spins and eats snow, just doesn't throw it very far.

:(

As a small anecdote, we once stored a window-mounted A/C unit for the winter (wrapped in plastic without fully drying the water that was inside of it). The next summer both of the electric engine's bearings were toast and wouldn't turn. So much rust built up in them that the unit wouldn't start at first and when it finally did, it sounded like a tractor trailer idling and would vibrate like crazy. Since it was a 2 year old unit (that cost $600) and we weren't going to throw it out just yet, I took it apart and changed the bearings... and put in US-made stainless steel bearings (at $20 a pop) instead of the Chinese pot-metal ones that were originally in it. Ever since, this A/C unit has worked better and quieter than ever before.

Moral of the story: bearings can rust out to the point of completely seizing a machine, sometimes in a single season.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I changed the auger v-belt over the weekend and everything seems to be working and turning now. The belt was toast all right!

Just need some snow to give it a real world test. Thanks to all for your assistance!

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Guys,

We had a heavy snow fall yesterday and the plow gave me quite the pile at the end of the driveway. The auger is spinning and throwing but my second stage seems to not be engaging (when load is heavy) as it should be. When it really gets bogged sounds like something is slipping. I was cheap and only replaced the auger belt and was going to wait till it warms up to change the other one.

What are your thoughts? Is it the other belt? Auger belt need adjustment? Something else? Many thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
belt tension is the 1st thing to check; you should have very little deflection when the auger is engaged. Also, are the belts & pulley clean/dry?

Excessive engine RPM drop also becomes a vicious circle as the impeller slows, it's not clearing the load fast enough.

You may also want to consider an impeller modification if you haven't done so already.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts