Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SBFers...it happened again; I told myself, my family, my friends that the snowblower herd was done expanding.

However when a thread popped-up a few weeks back from a new member saying he was looking to unload a "bucket list" blower, the Old Iron noggin' gears started grinding again. (He now has a brand-spanking new Toro Powermax)

We exchanged a few PM's and quickly realized that we're actually old colleagues!

After some back-n-forth, we agreed on a price (some new Chevy parts and a Chevy FSM) and I hit the road this morning.

You don't want to read my yapping and I want to get out to the garage and get this bad boy throwin' white stuff again! :grin:

obligatory truck-bed shots:

Unloading onto the OPE gurney:

She's in great shape!

Only crusty spots on the machine are the right side-plate:

^^^ MAYBE I'll treat the rust (phosphric acid), prime and I have some toro Red that will match this pretty close...I like some patina. :cool:

To get this old girl moving snow, it's a pretty short list:
  • clean out the fuel tank rust (MMO & swishing-around some nuts-n-bolts)
  • clean the original carb and bolt back on
  • install an impeller kit
  • order some x-tracs for these monster 8" rims
  • clean-lube-adjust the linkages
  • change the fluids (engine / gear case)
  • belt check
The left wheel clutch was seized...a little liquid wrench freed-that right up.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

·
Registered
880 Posts
CC; what is "wheel clutch" on those units?

thanks

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Looks Like you still have it Green Grass out there in The Empire State. :icon_whistling::icon_whistling: Wish I was There Instead Cleaning up the 4 Inches of slop here. Now The Winds be a whipping from the Great White North bringing in that Bone Chilling cold Now. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I see you got another Briggs for the stable....I've got that same blower...I think that Todd's "Senior" is one as well. I converted mine to pointless by swapping a 17 hp Intek coil from my vast pile of blown up lawntractors. I got sick of polishing points. We haven't had appreciable snow in Lakeville for four years....I'm dying to try out some of my "creations"!

·
9,612 Posts
I see you got another Briggs for the stable....I've got that same blower...I think that Todd's "Senior" is one as well. I converted mine to pointless by swapping a 17 hp Intek coil from my vast pile of blown up lawntractors. I got sick of polishing points. We haven't had appreciable snow in Lakeville for four years....I'm dying to try out some of my "creations"!
YEP that is what "SR" Is. :wavetowel2:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like your 4 wheel cart, too!
Hey Seaweed; these carts (the gurney) are the nuts! Knees and back thank me; I got the idea from Bruce Pender on youtube.

I see now you have 2 Different Tires on there. ANYHOO :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks Like you still have it Green Grass out there in The Empire State. :icon_whistling::icon_whistling: Wish I was There Instead Cleaning up the 4 Inches of slop here. Now The Winds be a whipping from the Great White North bringing in that Bone Chilling cold Now. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Yeah it's strange that only one of the tires was replaced.

It was green; the snow started falling as soon as I got her in the garage.

Hey Cranman, i thought you had one. She's an '86 Briggs so electronic ignition with a STRONG spark...popping across a 1/4" tester gap! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CC; what is "wheel clutch" on those units?

thanks
I think Brother PS93 got you covered on what they are.

Both engaged you have full traction and if you want to make turns easier in a specific direction, you pop the respective clutch (i.e. I predominantly make left turns so I'd pop the left clutch...simulated differential).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I drag an old machine home, i usually don't even try starting them...go right into diagnostics.

I pull the plug, squirt some oil in the cylinder, hook-up the spark tester and test the ignition (and safety/kill switches).

This engine pops a strong blue spark across a large gap...thanks to the electronic ignition.

I then check compression...unfortunately this engine had almost none.

Inspecting around the head after getting the shrouds off, it was obvious why; roached head gasket, a few loose head bolts and 1 broken head bolt.

cooling fins right near the broken head bolt.

Fortunate to still have a stud on there! I'll thread a nut on the clean threads, weld it and I should be able to walk that right out.

...additional fortune, this engine has a stator/flywheel combo!

Lastly, I don't see any leaks in the bottom of the tank...should be able to save this one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
880 Posts
classiccat: thanks for the answer. I also go through a similar process on new-to-me older engines. A few more questions for you

- how do the old Briggs engines compare to Tecumseh flat-heads of similar size? I have not yet worked on an older Briggs, and they seem to have some serious fans.
- what in-line spark tester do you use?

Looking forward to progress on the 826.

thanks

Reactions: classiccat

·
9,612 Posts
classiccat: thanks for the answer. I also go through a similar process on new-to-me older engines. A few more questions for you

- how do the old Briggs engines compare to Tecumseh flat-heads of similar size? I have not yet worked on an older Briggs, and they seem to have some serious fans.

thanks
Those old BRIGGS are way better than those Gutless wonder of a so called engine.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thanks
The old Thexton is what I use for testing spark.

Briggs have the edge over tecumseh. (You'll notice that Toro would put them on their higher-end / larger commercial machines.)

In my experience, the Briggs flatheads run smoother than an electronic ignition Tecumseh.

I still like the older points ignition Tecs; I can really get them to smooth out as well...I think in large part by taking the time to set the spark advance.

If you take a briggs flathead apart, 2 things jump out; ball bearings for the main bearings and BEEFY valve springs and keepers (relative to those on a tec). Briggs are spec'd to run at slightly higher no-load RPM than a Tec. (I still don't exceed 3600 on them)

Also, in my experience, the updraft carbs are super easy to start and tune (downside, they tend to leak more). Servicing/cleaning an updraft is easier too; fewer fiddly passages to monkey with and the emulsion tube / main jet screws out without splitting the carb.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last update for Day1 on the old girl.

Check out where Toro put the hex shaft...how sweet is that!

^^ your typical belly pan mouse nest shot; the P.O. did say that he found a dead mouse in the flywheel shroud.
^^^the friction disc isn't making great contact to the drive wheel so some linkage adjustments are in order.

General cleaning/degreasing with a WD40 wipedown / detail.

^^ if you squint, you'll see that i was able to extract the broken head bolt (no welding required)
^^^ P.O. had saved the original carb (Thank you!!!) after slapping on a Chinese clone. I broke down the original carb and it looks awesome inside ...+ the throttle shaft is still tight; rebuild kit on-order.
^^^^ after an afternoon of swishing ATF around with a couple handfuls of 1/4-20 nuts/bolts, the tank has cleaned-up really well! You won't believe the crud that came out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 724 of that vintage. I like the way it blows snow but am not crazy about the controls. The wheel clutches are helpful but often a bit of a struggle to re-engage. Not sure if there's something wrong with the way I have them set up and lubed.

The Briggs on mine has no electric starter and no primer, but always starts with 1-3 pulls.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 724 of that vintage. I like the way it blows snow but am not crazy about the controls. The wheel clutches are helpful but often a bit of a struggle to re-engage. Not sure if there's something wrong with the way I have them set up and lubed.

The Briggs on mine has no electric starter and no primer, but always starts with 1-3 pulls.

Have fun with it.
That's an odd combo...i wonder if it was repowered with a Briggs; TORO 724's always had tecs on them (PS93 will swing by and keep me honest).

Yeah, i believe if the expectation is that you can steer with them, you'll be disappointed. It still beats stopping the machine and pulling/reinstalling a pin to lock/unlock the wheels.

Hey classiccat, good to see such progress already! Looking forward to seeing how that thing throws snow!
Thanks! yeah, the guys on the forum will pull out the pitchforks if they catching me slackin' on the job :signlol:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts