Snowblower Forum banner

1995 9/29" Model 536.887992 Carb Jetting?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  10953 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I received a brand new (used once) Craftsman 9/29" blower Model # 536.887992 on a trade for a refurbished Lawn Boy 2 stroke. It is very clean and minty. It starts good and surges at idle. Using it in the snow I 've noticed that it is beginning to surge a little even in the deep stuff.

Does anyone know what the stock jet size is? Would a one size up jet/drill or replace solve the surging in the snow? It seems a little lean as the plug shows to be a little white hued in color.

Also I've noticed that on my hills I could use more traction without chains on the coated asphalt drives. I've seen the 10/11hp 30" use a wider more aggressive wheel/tire set up.
Anyone know the size of these set ups? Pic below.

Let me know thanks!
George

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless you really know what your doing, I wouldn't be playing with the jets. AI have never been able to find much info on Tecumseh jets sizes and numbering. I would either try rebuilding the carb and or buy a adjustable Chinese knock off, to replace the original.

#3 ·
+1

I've replaced several carbs on various engines with non-adjustable carbs with Oregon's I've gotten off Ebay that have adjustable jets. As long as you get one sized for the engine you have and has the proper throttle and choke linkage to match what you have, it should be a direct replacement. Additionally I've tried some of the Tecumseh parts with those in these carbs and they've fit perfectly.

#4 ·
The Craftsman/Murray 11/30 I just completed had 16x6.50x8, axle size and length might be an issue for a swap??? Although it looks like they made the wheels accommodate the same axle length??
If you take the carb heater box off and look where the side screws were removed, there probably is a little black plastic cover near where the carb mounts to the intake pipe. If you slip that off with a small screwdriver and reveal a slotted screw head, this cleanup may get rid of some surging.

#5 ·
The Craftsman/Murray 11/30 I just completed had 16x6.50x8, axle size and length might be an issue for a swap??? Although it looks like they made the wheels accommodate the same axle length??
If you take the carb heater box off and look where the side screws were removed, there probably is a little black plastic cover near where the carb mounts to the intake pipe. If you slip that off with a small screwdriver and reveal a slotted screw head, this cleanup may get rid of some surging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0STIPg4I8
Thanks everyone and thanks jtclays. I did a comprehensive carb cleaning - but can't remember getting that pilot jet out. Will try that and see how it does.

Has anyone a recommendation for an adjustable main jet? I know they make these aftermarket for a ton of things including the Predator Harbor freight motors.

Thanks
George

#11 ·
Oh I learned that long ago- that's why I headed over here to the experts.

#7 ·
#12 ·
I just did an eBay search and found these! Will the adjustable main jet fit without replacing the whole carb? Certainly replacing the whole carb is a non-problem just wondering if that adjustable needle will simply bolt into the stock carb.

If not no biggie I may order one to have in case the pilot jet cleaning fails.

#10 ·
I've gotten both, I think it may depend on the seller and I usually just go for the cheapest one I can find that fits the need.

Reactions: jtclays
#13 ·
Not sure to be honest, The carb cost is only slightly more than a rebuild kit so I just put a new carb on and not worry about any other issues, I actually forgot about the adjustable carbs when I got one for my wood chipper, Has a 10hp tecumseh on that too, This one had a brass float fill with gas so I just got the new carb and worked right out of the box and ran great, will be using that tomorrow too since there is no snow to play in around here LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.