Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas I’m runnin a 1998 Craftsman 10/29 with a snow king tucumseh motor which runs perfect. However I am on the fence on whether to upgrade or not the machine is in great condition throws snow well. Any thoughts on this machine. I’m looking at the 10 hp Toro and Ariens suggestions would be appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome Monty,

I put a the impeller kit on my Craftsman 10 HP 28" - it is now a backup to Ariens 10/28 which I bought used a couple of summers ago for a bargain price. I would keep yours if it runs good. Many of us here have backups in case of problems and some here have backups to backups LOL.

Good Luck Monty.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Monty

That's a hard question. It's always nice to have something shinny and new but you say the Craftsman is working fine.
Is it just that you're tired of the Craftsman ?? Are you looking for something with options the Craftsman doesn't have like power chute, heated hand warmers, ... ??
Tax refund just a bit more than you expected and can't figure out where to spend it ??
I'd stick with the Craftsman if it's getting the job done and not causing you any problems. But if you want to go bigger or newer or more bells and whistles a Toro, Ariens or even Honda would sure be a step up.
Is the 29" a good size, would you want something smaller, same or bigger ??

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
If it ain't broke . . . I would keep it. Maybe do the impeller mod. if you end up buying a new machine, the older ones can be good back-up machines.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
Again, it's a matter of cash. You can get a commercial model but it's a bit overkill if you're just doing your own house or maybe helping out a neighbor now and then. The "Pro" models are a step up but not necessarily commercial grade IMHO. And that can change depending on which manufacturer is calling their premium machine what.

If you have the room and don't need the money off a sale to get a new machine I'd keep the Craftsman around for a spare just in case. Both of these would be very good choices IMHO and you can always go bigger bucket and or bigger engine. I'm a firm believer in having a big engine.
I think you'd be happy with the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO (28") 306cc Two-Stage Snow Blower for around $1,300 or the Toro Power Max HD 928 OAE 28 in. 265 cc

Toro's product selector - - > Product Selector

Ariens - https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921048-Snow-Thrower/p67263.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh5TcBQXkMZHsHWMJhJ2s8sONg7n4eNMrKXzmmj0L3UepRzSFI7IOG0aAgmPEALw_wcB
Toro - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Power-Max-HD-928-OAE-28-in-265-cc-Two-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-38840/306237977?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-33_CHORE|NA|PLA|Snowblowers|Fixed|71700000041074957|58700004387938478|92700036924264920&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh4I9OvlZBYG65NMVlCsNGCS-3ewAtY-im__u6EPuWib5ILpu0gHK2AaAvm7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have a Craftsman 10/29 with the L shaped handles. It has great balance. I improved it by cutting and rounding one side of the impeller exit. I also added an impeller kit to it. It was my main machine, now an Ariens made JD 826D will be my main machine, 10/29 will be a backup or used in the heavier snows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey folks almost that time again! Does anyone know how to decipher the serial number of an Ariens. Looking to find the year it was built. Thx Monty

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
Is the Craftsman gone ? Did you get an Ariens, which one ? Where are the photos ??

Post the numbers or a photo of the ID plate.
If you have the engine numbers, and it's the original engine that date will likely be within two years of the machines mfg. date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts