Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to fix or should I say swap out chassis of an Ariens snowblower I have. It has a baddly worn out axle bushing. It has since worn through the bushing, flange and has gone into the sheetmetal. The axle would need to be welded and re-cut on a lathe. Doable for sure, but I just don't have the time for it now, more snow is bound to come so I want the machine ready. Anyhow, last summer I found another Ariens machine in Plymouth Mass. by the road and I stopped to grab it. It had problems with the salt air , as the carb was really rotted. I changed the carb for one I had and it ran great. That engine is on an Ariens rear tine tiller I'm selling to my wife' cousin this spring for his big garden. So this chassis is pretty much ready to go. I put my engine on it and decided I like the blower housing from my worn machine over the one on the freeby because It needed a new cutting edge and skid shoes. The one I've been using still had life left in both departments so onto the new chassis it went. When I split both machines I found stripped threads on the bolts that hold the halfs together. So I drilled out the worn threads and welded hex nuts to the back of the plates. Then reattached the throttle lever and adjusted the controls and took it for a test run. Works well except for the reverse. The linkage needs to be adjusted but the threaded rods are frozen with rust. I'm not going to fuss with that until the spring, incase I brake the linkage. It would be just my luck to have it brake and not have the blower to use. I have another complete Ariens blower besides these 2. It was running a few years back but the trans. is stuck in gear and I haven't gotten to it yet. It was my neighbors machine until he'd had enough of it and bought a new one. I'll attach some pictures now. Take care...
Pic 1 - New chassis w/ old engine.
Pic 2-3 -Welded nuts onto the tabs to join the 2 halves of the machine.
Pic 4 -Putting it back together.
Pic 5 -Back together and took for a shake down run through the snow bu the driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Aren't the old Ariens great. I'm putting a new engine on my 10M4. I like your cleaning stick mount and your knife scoop on top of the auger frame. It looks like the only thing you need are the snow hog tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the chains from the original machine on this one. Can't stop it with the chains, it'll climb a wall if your not paying attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts