Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I redid a yardman track snowblower also replaced a bunch of items on it the snowblower shaft that the auger is on all the bushings in the front auger area 2 orings inside the carb also motor drive belt sanded and painted all the metal ok im having a problem i had to take it all apart so im thinking i didnt put it back right i also took off the arm that goes to the forward and reverse level

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
There could be several things causing it to not move. Most blower transmissions use a rubber wheel (the friction disk) that slides back and forth along a shaft. The gearshift lever moves the location of the rubber wheel on this shaft. Then, when you squeeze the drive lever, this rubber wheel is pressed against an aluminum disk, to spin the aluminum disk, which drives the wheels.

If the drive lever isn't pulling the rubber wheel and aluminum disk together, you won't move. Either it's not making anything pivot when squeezing, or the rubber wheel could possibly be located beyond the edge of the aluminum disk. It will also freewheel easily, even with the drive lever squeezed. You'd still be able to push it with or without the drive lever squeezed.

Or, if the rubber wheel is located right at the center of the aluminum disk, you won't move, but you wouldn't be able to push the machine by hand with the drive lever squeezed.

A specific model number, and pictures (at least of the transmission area under the machine, with the bottom cover removed) would help people better understand the situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I figured out the drive belt issue I had the pulley behind it instead of in front of it so the drive is all set but now I'm having an issue with the auger belt two pulleys two belts the belt closest to the motor keeps falling off so can I use just one belt on the auger

Attachments

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
You can probably use just one belt, though that single belt may not last as long, since it'll be taking all the load. If they are significantly different lengths, however, the loose one may not be doing much anyhow, and the tighter one may be doing the majority of the work already.

At least you'd have the 2nd belt as a spare. If this one fails, you could install #2, and then take it easy until you could replace them both together with matching belts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
the idler pulley doesnt look right, should have a lip on the outer edges to keep belt from slipping off

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Also make sure the idler isn't backing off too much, allowing too much slack in the belts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok I figured out the drive belt issue I had the pulley behind it instead of in front of it so the drive is all set but now I'm having an issue with the auger belt two pulleys two belts the belt closest to the motor keeps falling off so can I use just one belt on the auger
You need to tell your supplier you need a matched set of belts to begin with , they make sure they are from the same batch, I do the same when servicing my air compressors etc. , commercial belts and should be packaged as a set , mower decks can be dual also and they are HD , usually green

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Seems that people are missing the fact his belt fingers that keep the belts on the pulleys when no tension is there are both ummm NOT there.
here is a pic off the net of a Ariens belt keeper or whatever they call it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts