Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Murray "BRUTE" 10HP 29" complete restoration

I recently bought a 2004 "BRUTE" snowblower model 629106X83B in very nice shape but when the winter's over, I plan to take it apart and have all the yellow parts powdercoated. For some reason, only the yellow needs to be redone as the black components (wheels, engine, chute, etc…) all look ok, but my main question is this: Does someone know where to buy original REPLACEMENT DECALS for it? :smiley-confused013:I don't want to restore it and leave it without any decals. Right now, I found a place to have them reproduced but it looks like it will be a little expensive (but I'll still have them made if I don't find original ones).
Any help would greatly be appreciated! :icon-sadwave:
Thanks,
Claude. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There are many local sign shops and T shirt shops that do this work if you have a good picture. They will take that picture, import it, print it on adhesive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many local sign shops and T shirt shops that do this work if you have a good picture. They will take that picture, import it, print it on adhesive.
Thanks for your reply…I already contacted someone who does that but I was trying to find some original decals first but if I don't, I won't have no other choice but to have them made.
Thanks again,

Claude. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you buy something "used" there are always some little "issues" to fix to make it right, and today I found a few "things" which needed to be fixed. First while clearing my driveway, one of the belts let go so I replaced both 'cause I don't know when they were replaced in the past and also I noticed that one of the wheels was secured by a nut and bolt instead of the pin with ring spring (pictured below) so tomorrow, I'll get the correct one to replace the bolt.

…and back to my original post, does someone know where to find the original decals?:hope:

Claude. :icon-hgtg:

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally ordered a complete set of decals from Nate at www.clickitandatickit.com for my snowblower which I bought used in February and which I'm going to start restoring pretty soon. I am still waiting for them to get here. Total cost was $125. for all the decals. As soon as I receive them, I plan to disassemble the whole snowblower (and take numerous pictures while doing so) and send everything to be powdercoated in the original color and them when it gets back, I'll reassemble it and put on the decals for the final touch. Should look great! I might post some pictures of "before vs. after" here on the site...

Claude.

·
Registered
827 Posts
yes, please post up some pics during assembly and after. Looks like a fun project.

Reactions: Fat City

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi everyone…It's been a while but as promised, here are a few pictures of my "Brute" snowblower which I'm restoring myself. I took it apart earlier this year and sent everything to the powdercoater to be sandblasted and coated in it's original color. Now it's time for re-assembly but I'm far from finished!... but I'll post more pictures later when there will be more progress.

Claude. :wink:

P.S: I didn't replace the rubber friction wheel as it looks good… but maybe I should have?…I dunno...:icon_scratch:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
@toofast,

Looking good … I am in the process of doing a restoration on an old 10M4 Ariens (10000 series).

From what I can tell from the photo, that friction disc looks fine.

I also used Vintage Reproductions (clickitandstickit) for a couple decals … a little pricey, but what the heck, I went this far, why not … :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'd line the housing and chute with HDPE then an impeller kit.

Reactions: tuffnell

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did some progress today… Put the motor back on, reinstalled the handles, controls cables, hooked up the linkages, reinstall the headlight, etc… It's slowly "getting there"! :smile:… The front "half" isn't done yet. I still have the whole auger and gear box to assemble and install, same goes for the chute, put the belts, the "belly pan" and wheels back on. After that, it should be close to completed. All that's going to be left is small stuff, check if the spark plug is good, change the oil, put some grease where needed, add new gas in the tank and finally pull the cord and hopefully it'll start!... Oh yeah… let's not forget the finishing touch… the decals! :biggrin:

Claude.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Thanks for your reply…however, can you explain a little more please?…What's a "HDPE"…and what do you mean by an "impeller kit"?? :icon-shrug:

Claude.
Do a search on here, you'll find pages of info.

HDPE is a slippery plastic sheet that prevents sticking snow and allows the snow to exit with greater speed and less friction.

Impeller kit is thick pieces of rubber fasten to the tips of the impeller blades that propels the snow faster and further and helps keep the chute clear from clogging.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've overhauled the gear box with new gears, a new gasket but I forgot to order the seals :rolleyes: so seeing that, I ordered them but haven't received them yet. So right now, work is stalled but will resume as soon as the seals arrive. Also I'm going to put in some lubricant especially made for that because the previous owner used some kind of white grease and the gearbox was filled with brass metal filings when I took it apart, so that's why I decided to put new gears in it.
--> One thing I noticed is that the original gears were made of brass and the new replacement ones are made of steel. I suppose that brass was not as resistant as they thought so they corrected this with steel ones which (I assume) should be less subject to wear?… I dunno. :smiley-confused013:
I'll post pictures as work progresses.
Claude. :)
P.S:
HDPE is a slippery plastic sheet that prevents sticking snow and allows the snow to exit with greater speed and less friction.
Where can I buy that stuff…and is it expensive?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The rubber for the impeller, best to get the type with layers of cloth fibers in it, makes it stronger and longer lasting. Tractor Supply has it at a reasonable price and at the right hardness coefficient.

For HDPE, do an internet search, and on here. Grainager, McMaster Carr are two names that come to mind. Do not get the thin adhesive based, it doesn't have to be thick, and you don't want it thick, so it is going to be thin as You want to shape it.You put it on with screws, rivets, and may need a heat gun to shape it. Line everything including the chute, and the snow will just slip on out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rubber for the impeller, best to get the type with layers of cloth fibers in it, makes it stronger and longer lasting. Tractor Supply has it at a reasonable price and at the right hardness coefficient.

For HDPE, do an internet search, and on here. Grainager, McMaster Carr are two names that come to mind. Do not get the thin adhesive based, it doesn't have to be thick, and you don't want it thick, so it is going to be thin as You want to shape it.You put it on with screws, rivets, and may need a heat gun to shape it. Line everything including the chute, and the snow will just slip on out.
Thank you for your reply…but I don't want to have to drill holes for screws or rivets because I just had everything sandblasted and powdercoated and drillng holes is an "invitation" for rust to start forming around the holes and eventually spreading else where… :frown:

Claude. :icon_smile_wink:
P.S: Why don't you recommend using the adhesive-based kind?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The only adhesive HDPE I've seen is very thin as paper and I felt it wouldn't last through. Snow is very abrasive wearing paint off, look at the chute.

I wouldn't be concerned with rust as the snowblower is filled with drilled holes and rust starts else where. Drill the hole and put a dab of paint in the hole or a squirt of clear silicon in the hole under the head of whatever.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Interesting, …. I never drilled and lined any material in any of my snowblowers chutes. I never had an issue of snow not being blown out of a chute. Always blows where I want it. :)

Not that I need it, but just to see what everyone is talking about, I did pick up some Rain-X spray wax, which they claim repels water (i.e snow?), just spray it on. I know there windshield spray works great at repelling water, so I am going to spray some on my newly painted 10M4 chute, just for shits and giggles, before I snow blow. I really don't expect any difference, as I have been fine for like 30 years or better, but hey, ya never know …. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts