Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 MTD 300 series (31A-32AD700)

Pull the handle to make go forward and NADA!! Give it a little push and it will move maybe a 6" and then back to square one. I replaced the drive belt, even replaced the auger drive belt and spark plug (figured why not), and still nothing. There is a bit of a grinding sound but not a constant one, maybe lasts a second. I have looked for any sheared pins (cuz the guy at Sears said I'd go thru at least 6 per year......ummmm ok????) and I don't see anything wrong there. I dont see a friction wheel and when I had the belt off the pulley looked in tact. The only thing I can maybe guess is the transmission assembly, but I really don't feel like dropping a bunch of money on a "guess". The pulley seems to spin just fine, The cable looks fine (from what I can guess) and the springs attached to the assembly look fine. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Ill post on the motor question a different day!! Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to the forum JT0216

Hopefully it's the belt, broken or loose.

Your transmission runs about $160
Transmission Assembly - 918-04296B

Since you've done the belt and you've checked to make sure when you pull the handle it tightens up the belt you've arrived at the transmission being a problem.
When the belt is loose of off the transmissions pulley you can try turning the pulley by hand and see if you feel any grinding inside the trans.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
There is a bit of a grinding sound but not a constant one, maybe lasts a second. I have looked for any sheared pins (cuz the guy at Sears said I'd go thru at least 6 per year......ummmm ok????) and I don't see anything wrong there. I dont see a friction wheel and when I had the belt off the pulley looked in tact. The only thing I can maybe guess is the transmission assembly, but I really don't feel like dropping a bunch of money on a "guess". The pulley seems to spin just fine, The cable looks fine (from what I can guess) and the springs attached to the assembly look fine.
Can you trace through the "chain" (not a literal chain) of what things are turning, to figure out where the transmission "chain" breaks? For instance, if the transmission input is turning, but the transmission output is not turning, that would make me suspect the transmission has failed.

If it makes things easier to troubleshoot, you might be able to tip the machine up into the service position, and remove the machine's bottom cover. With the engine off (obviously), squeeze the transmission handle (hold it down with a zip tie or something if needed), and try driving the transmission backwards. Turn the wheels by hand, and try to trace the transmission action backwards from the wheels.

Admittedly, if the transmission is catching a little bit, it may be tough to drive it "backwards" by manually turning the wheels. But it could be something to try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts