Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They sell new for 1099 at HD, before tax. I live in Northern Virginia, so it's had very little use, as you will see:

In a weak moment I bought a Honda HSS1332ATD, track drive to deal with 6 ft drifts at the family farm, which is now mine to do and is 3 hours from me.

Should I sell the Cub now that I have the Honda, and do you believe $700 is fair?

The only reason I'm on the fence is because it's a good machine and if I'm going to end up cleaning the neighbor's gravel driveways that they don't mark, maybe I should keep two, and not scratch the impeller and chute area of the new Honda. The thing cost $3,400.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
397 Posts
Why would you keep a second machine for someone else? Unless they're physically incapable, offer to sell (or give) it to the neighbors whose gravel driveways you're doing. :)

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I agree w/SnowG. Sell it to your neighbor, unless they are incapable of using it. Otherwise list it on Craigslist and also the very popular facebook sale sites. Only thing about them is you get lots of traffic and they usually offer exactly half of your asking price. Start at your desired price and maybe add OBO and see what happens. It'll sell right before the first heqvily advertised snow of the season.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would keep it as a back-up if you don't need the money and if you have the space for it. Though Cub Cadet doesn't get much love on this forum, at that price point that Cub is hard to beat and would make a good back-up machine that can also serve you well in tight areas.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a nice young couple with 5 kids. They're here for 5 years now. I had an MTD in decent shape that I put at the end of the driveway for sale, $400, three years after they moved in. Not a bite from them. I thought sure they'd buy it. Maybe they were strapped for cash at the time. Guy at the far end of the road bought it the next day.

I'm lucky to have them as neighbors, but it's year 5 and I'm getting younger, and I'd like to keep a ton of gravel out of the new Honda.

So having them buy it is unlikely. As to the price, do you think $700 is a fair price, if selling elsewhere?

Why would you keep a second machine for someone else? Unless they're physically incapable, offer to sell (or give) it to the neighbors whose gravel driveways you're doing. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is the time to sell, especially a machine that is in as good of condition as yours. If new is $1100 plus taxes I'd ask $900 and settle for $700 if anything.

No need to carry two machines, especially if the second one is just to clear the neighbors driveway. You seem like a nice person who is at least having the conundrum of this sort as most folks wouldnt think twice as to how their neighbor feels about this situation.

If you are on good terms with them then the best you can do is go over there and give them a heads up so they are not left hanging. Just let them know that you wouldnt mind keep doing what you did if you still had the old machine, with the new machine gravel is no bueno.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Also, I noticed that the distance between the CC impeller and the impeller tunnel is almost half an inch, if not more. This means that gravel is more forgiving as the chance of a piece getting stuck between the impeller and the housing is low. I'd advise inspecting the Honda's impeller/housing distance, in the old HS models its only around 1/4" inch, this means that if a piece ever gets lodged in between the two it can cause serious damage not to mention that Honda uses thinner gauge sheet metal compared to CC, Ariens etc.

Sell Sell Sell

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JNC. Awesome advice.

Also, I noticed that the distance between the CC impeller and the impeller tunnel is almost half an inch, if not more. This means that gravel is more forgiving as the chance of a piece getting stuck between the impeller and the housing is low. I'd advise inspecting the Honda's impeller/housing distance, in the old HS models its only around 1/4" inch, this means that if a piece ever gets lodged in between the two it can cause serious damage not to mention that Honda uses thinner gauge sheet metal compared to CC, Ariens etc.

Sell Sell Sell

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You just gave me an idea, SnowG. Maybe give it to the guy two doors up - he doesn't have little kids who could get their hands caught in it or whatever, and he's mechanically inclined.

Part of the deal would be he helps the next door neighbor, the young couple next to me with the kids and where the guy just isn't mechanically aware. I worry about him getting his hand caught or storing the machine improperly where he'll never get it started in the winter. (He bought a used generator 3 years ago and it sits in the rain. Never changes the fuel. Never starts it. Etc. He just doesn't understand.) Anyway, if the guy two doors up that I give it to moves, the agreement would be that he gives the machine back to me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is how I look at this situation and I know some of you might think that I have completely lost hope in humanity; you do not owe your next door neighbor anything. I know you are looking at this situation as you'll be leaving them hanging if you sold the machine, I beg to differ, I am sure these folks did fine before you started helping them out and I am pretty sure they'll be fine once you stop doing so.

As far as giving the machine to the other guy and having him being liable for two driveways, I am not too sure he'll be too fond of that idea. It may sound great to him in the beginning, I mean who would mind the idea of getting a free machine but as the novelty of the free machine wears out and as he starts having arguments with himself over the years to come as to why does he need to take care of someone else's driveway when he has his own things to worry about he may just end up giving you back your machine and or stop doing a decent job on cleaning the property.

And if non of the above points make any sense then the one point that I want you to understand is the issue of LIABILITY. God forbid anything happens to you, your neighbor, his property, the third guy, his property etc etc the chance of it coming back to you, even remote as it might be, would be the lone reason why I would shiver of the idea of being the nice guy on the block.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
JnC makes some good points on this situation. Regarding price if you do decide to sell I would start at $800. on Craig's List & Letgo at $700. you would get many calls and it would sell very fast, you can always go down from an asking price but not the reverse. All the best.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All excellent, JNC. Parts I left out: The young Mrs. next door will be taking the kids with her, all packed in mini-van (no small feat in itself in frigid temps and icy ground) while hubby is at work. They'll get colds and what have you and will need to go to the doc. If the drive isn't cleared, they'll get stuck, for certain. I'll be home, because I work from home. Now I have a van to somehow get unstuck as she tries to carry one of them back to the house in her arms, with the others following behind.

So that's part of the scenario that goes through my old noggin at this point. Better to clear the blasted driveway, I've been thinking.

You're right on all of it, I realize.

The guy on the other side, to whom I'd give the snow blower, cuts their grass, as I do, when Mr. is on travel for work. I figure between the two of us we'd get them plowed out, only now the guy would have a $1K snow blower from me to get it done.

I realize you're right. Perfect sense. I'll probably just sell the blasted thing and explain that the new machine is set low to scrape my blacktop. Still, I just don't feel right about it for some stupid reason.

This is how I look at this situation and I know some of you might think that I have completely lost hope in humanity; you do not owe your next door neighbor anything. I know you are looking at this situation as you'll be leaving them hanging if you sold the machine, I beg to differ, I am sure these folks did fine before you started helping them out and I am pretty sure they'll be fine once you stop doing so.

As far as giving the machine to the other guy and having him being liable for two driveways, I am not too sure he'll be too fond of that idea. It may sound great to him in the beginning, I mean who would mind the idea of getting a free machine but as the novelty of the free machine wears out and as he starts having arguments with himself over the years to come as to why does he need to take care of someone else's driveway when he has his own things to worry about he may just end up giving you back your machine and or stop doing a decent job on cleaning the property.

And if non of the above points make any sense then the one point that I want you to understand is the issue of LIABILITY. God forbid anything happens to you, your neighbor, his property, the third guy, his property etc etc the chance of it coming back to you, even remote as it might be, would be the lone reason why I would shiver of the idea of being the nice guy on the block.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Cardo.

JnC makes some good points on this situation. Regarding price if you do decide to sell I would start at $800. on Craig's List & Letgo at $700. you would get many calls and it would sell very fast, you can always go down from an asking price but not the reverse. All the best.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Still, I just don't feel right about it for some stupid reason.
Then you sir are a better man than most of us chunks of coal in here :).

My old man who passed away a couple of years ago, may God rest his soul, always use to tell him how the neighbors have rights on you and you need to help and look out for each other. I truly believe in that even though my argument in this thread may make you think otherwise, this convoluted sense of judgement is due to what I see going around me when folks are getting taken to the cleaners by the justice system for doing something that would only be the humane thing to do in certain situations.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JNC,

Ain't no way I'm a better man. In fact you are helping your fellow man -- I'd say you're pretty high on the scale for helping me with this. On people's opinion when it comes to these things -- every thermometer has to register something, so to speak. One man who says go do it, ten years from now might see some folly in it. Maybe he sees it after doing one house and the guy up the way still wants him to come do his. Then, in the summer, when he sees the neighbor he helped drive up in a brand new Mercedes while he's driving a patched up old Ford, he might realize he'd have a perfectly usable snow blower and a much better back had he not given things away while his neighbor saved for that nice car or new deck or swimming pool. And now here he is having to spend the money on a new used snow blower and physical therapy for that old back.

One of my favorite movies (CLICK AT THE TOP WHERE IT SAYS YOUTUBE SHORT URL to start at minute 2:30. Then watch until minute 3:30.)

https://youtu.be/VFQgx9bwa6s?t=85

used to have me believing I was that young guy, "Curly." I guess you and I both were. Through all these years maybe I've become more like Mordecai (the old man). Well, not the "MBSCSDD" part, but it's just life. Anyway, JNC, you're a good guy. Thanks for lookin' out for my old hide. I just needed to listen to some voices of reason here, and every contribution was good. Yours and some others here are what I'll follow. Craig's List it is.

God rest your dad. Even though a couple of years have passed, there's no loss quite the same as losing your pop. It's the way of the world, but it ain't easy.

My much better half agrees with you entirely. Heck, I agree with you entirely. I just needed someone else to talk sense to me. SnowG's solution seemed a win-win, but as you point out -- the neighbor who gets the snow blower will feel put upon at some point.

Look, I ain't payin' my neighbor's electric bill, am I? Then why the heck should I feel the need to pay for his snow removal, which is exactly what I'd be doing by keeping that second machine just to clean his driveway.

Thanks Everyone.

Tom

Then you sir are a better man than most of us chunks of coal in here :).

My old man who passed away a couple of years ago, may God rest his soul, always use to tell him how the neighbors have rights on you and you need to help and look out for each other. I truly believe in that even though my argument in this thread may make you think otherwise, this convoluted sense of judgement is due to what I see going around me when folks are getting taken to the cleaners by the justice system for doing something that would only be the humane thing to do in certain situations.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Just another point of view and I realize I'm inserting my own situation, but having a backup blower in my case is almost critical. I've got a long driveway and I'm in the lake effect band of heavy wet snow off the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.

A few years ago one of my auger springs snapped and it took 2 months for the part to come in. I hand shoveled a 600' driveway for 2 months thinking my part would come in any day now. Probably had at least 90" of snowfall. I hope I never have to do that again.

Now that I have a newer main machine, I'm much more willing to help out a neighbor who suffers from Caissons Disease (Decompression sickness) from a career as a salvage diver. Poor guy has to go to Mayo Clinic every few months for treatments. His joints are deteriorating and he can't run a blower or shovel. He's only 61 and on top of it, he is not well-off financially (at all).

I say, if you can afford it, keep both and maybe you can make someone else's life a little better on top of having a backup.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Didn't mean to try and persuade you differently. I re-read your last post and caught " Craig's List it is.". I wouldn't have posted what I did If I read your post a little better. Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JROM, it's sage advice, for sure. Apology not necessary. In Northern Virginia we normally don't get hammered like you guys in MI. Oh, we'll get the two footers, but it's not the norm, and two things: 1) The Mrs. and I just cleaned out the garage to make room for her car, versus all my tools and equipment and now I won't have room for two snow blowers in the shed. Oh, and 3) If my blower takes a dive, mechanically, I'm going to lean on my shovel like everyone else does and see what it feels like from the other side. Maybe someone will take pity on yours truly.

I've been mighty blessed in this life, beyond what any man deserves. That's why I've done it (clearing for others for over 25 years) as long as I have.

When my left shoulder was healing from my first shoulder surgery, we had a hurricane. All of my 4 year old Cypress trees were bent nearly to the ground after the storm. With one arm, I tied a rope to each of them and after driving rebar in the ground, I wrestled each of them and wrapped that rope around my hip and pulled each one back, while left was in an immobilizer. I could have asked anyone, I'm sure. My pride got in the way. It occurred to me then that I'd darn well better take care of me and mine if I wanted this independence.

With that prideful attitude, maybe I'm due a lesson in humility. That busted blower might be just the thing. I think I'd look to the heavens and say "Well, I had a good run, Lord!" and let it be at that. I think I'd cuss after that, so I hope He isn't listening when that happens. ;-)

Thanks again,

Tom

Didn't mean to try and persuade you differently. I re-read your last post and caught " Craig's List it is.". I wouldn't have posted what I did If I read your post a little better. Sorry about that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts