Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as drive lever is engaged to move the machine a very loud metal to metal grinding begins. When drive lever
is let go the machine continues to creep forward or backward. If machine is turned off friction drive is still engaged.
If machine is left running the friction drive will release after a few seconds and noise stops.
If there is no load is on the wheels (I lift up the machine before engaging the drive lever) there is no noise. Put the machine back on ground and noise starts.
The clutch cable seems to have plenty of slack when not engaged.
I have no previous experience with newer Ariens snowblowers and am looking for possible problems.

Thanks
Ray M

·
Registered
994 Posts
Stand the machine into the maintenance position (standing vertical on the bucket after running carb dry and emptying gas from tank). Remove the 6 screws from the bottom access panel and check the rubber tired disc that runs on the drive plate for deterioration and showing metal contact. The drive clutch cable is attached to the bottom left (in attached pic) on a rod of the drive plate support structure and works against the spring attached to the same rod and extends forward (toward the bucket) to apply tension to release the drive.

If the spring is broken then the drive will be maintained to a certain extent. On my machine there is a black indicator that moves with the driven clutch. Here is a pic of the indicator when drive is released. The indicator moves back toward the wheel when drive clutch engaged. You can see the movement when you take up the drive clutch slack. If the indicator reaches the rearmost position then the rubber tired friction wheel is worn out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see what is causing my problem. When drive is engaged the swing plate assembly moves into contact with the friction plate and the attached pulley shifts into contact with the auger control rod. The pulley will hang up in the groves of the auger rod for a bit after drive lever is released. I have seen the very same problem
and picture that someone else on this forum had but no reply for a fix was posted.
A trip to my local dealer may be in store.
A picture of my issue is attached.
IMG_20200603_150332249.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see what is causing my problem. When drive is engaged the swing plate assembly moves into contact with the friction plate and the attached pulley shifts into contact with the auger control rod. The pulley will hang up in the groves of the auger rod for a bit after drive lever is released. I have seen the very same problem
and picture that someone else on this forum had but no reply for a fix was posted.
View attachment 167527 View attachment 167527
View attachment 167527 View attachment 167527
Tracked down my problem.

Missing clips and washers on swing plate rod. I'm not sure they were ever there. I just purchased this very lightly used blower. No parts in pan and depth of grooves in auger rod make me wonder. Was not a big box purchase by original owner.
Attached picture for details.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I looked at the diagrams of all deluxe models, and they showed that the swing plate (the part that you are showing us in your picture) is a single unit/assembly. It does not have washers and clips where you are pointing to.

Creeping forward and backward at the same time when in first forward gear, or first reverse gear means that your gear selector is out of adjustment. You can just avoid using those two gears, or re-adjust it before you can use those two gears again.

Using town picture, the indicator should be at that position when drive is released. If not, it is very likely that the spring pulling it back is weak. I had to cut and bent mine shorter so that it would pull the swing plate back all the way. It is a problem that I faced when using a new aftermarket belt.

If that is not your problem then something is stopping the swing plate from swinging freely.

·
Registered
205 Posts
when you lifted up the wheels, gravity helped pull back the swing plate. That released the friction drive. It is a very small weak spring to begin with, so that might happen from time to time, just like it did to me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anyway, you can see that spring and where it hooked to in Town's same picture. It is small to see (right below the two big bolts).

·
Registered
205 Posts
When the drive plate/pulley touched the friction disc, it bounced/swung back, because there was no cable tension (drive not engaged). That caused the indicator to hit the front most position. Hence, the metal to metal noise.

I also think your gear selector was out of adjustment, but that is another problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Missing parts 12 & 18 (washers and pins) on 'Friction Drive and Swing Gate" diagram will fix my problem but thanks for your input.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Okay, I see it now. The newer swing-plate design is a little different. It has a pivot shaft at the bottom. It swings at the top instead. They probably made those changes to fix the belt slip out/alignment issue. I don't have that problem on my snowblower. My belt alignment is straight as hell. Although, the newer design maybe better.

Good luck to you fixing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts