Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this Cub for $658.00 I think I got one **** of a deal! Any feedback from owners of this machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've been looking at the same machine. Agreed, an amazing price. The only thing I do not like is that there appears to be no fuel shut off valve, or any "real estate" available to install one. To me, this is inexcusable. The Chinese B&S engines and even the cheapest Predators that you can buy at Harbor Freight have one. I may be mistaken, so perhaps you can check the machine, manual, etc. and let the group know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know people like to trash MTD/Cub Cadet products but you can get some amazing deals. At the end of last season, I got a 2016 model 30" 420CC 3X CC for $1000 Canadian (around $825 US) including tax and delivery. A comparable Ariens or Honda would be 2 to 3 times more expensive. I tested it out in the most recent snow storm and am quite happy with its performance. Maintained and kept in a garage or shed, I see no reason I wont get 20 years out of it. There is no fuel shut off but use stabilizer or run it empty at the end of the season.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Those are both excellent prices, especially that 3x for a thousand cdn. They look like 1/2 price deals. Did you get them from a local dealer or a big box store?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those are both excellent prices, especially that 3x for a thousand cdn. They look like 1/2 price deals. Did you get them from a local dealer or a big box store?
I bought mine at Lowes. Originally i got a display 26" 3X with 357CC engine but upon arrival the tank leaked so they took it back. They didnt have anymore in stock so gave me the next model up which was the 30" 420CC I ended up with instead. In the meantime they were having a no tax event that saved me the extra 13%. (Sales tax here in Ontario is that high) Worked out in my favor....this blower was normally $1899+ tax when not on sale. A comparable 30" HD model at a dealer would have probably been about that much if not over $2k here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got mine on eBay and the shipping was free so it was a no brainer at that price it was open an open box special

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve always ran the gas out of mine at the end of the season. Has anyone installed the impeller kit modification to help with the heavy wet slush/snow?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've got a 2007 Cub Cadet 524 SWE I bought used 2 years ago. It was owned by an engineer who did zero maintenance on it, go figure! It was stored outside uncovered. It still had the original sparkplug. He couldn't remember when he last changed the oil and it looked like it! He lived near me (Syracuse NY) so I know he used it a lot (average snowfall here is 120"). After some of the usual maintenance and a little TLC like greasing and oiling I've used it without a problem or any major repairs but a new impellor bearing. It's rusty everywhere including the wheels being rusted on but everything still works, even the power steering that I can't get to for lubrication. Seeing as this was a $100 machine I'll just run it until it dies or I get in a better position financially to buy a new one. I can only imagine how well it would work and how long it would last if it had been taken care of!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I keep mine in the shed during summer months, garage in the winter. Leaving it out in the elements all the time is rough. You would have hoped he at least kept a tarp over it but guess not!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just bought a 3X 26 with steel chute at HomeDepot - the last one available in New England apparently. Replacing a 20 year old Toro PowerMax 828 which was a beast and just worked; however, things began to wear out that were somewhat expensive so I'm trying out the Cub Cadet. The only issues I've seen after doing even more research is with the shear pins in the accelerators - have any of you had any issues with shear pins? It's possible that a bad batch of shear pins were produced as well. Thoughts?? Have not had a chance to use it yet but there's a potential storm later this week.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If you have time pick up some shear pins from a different source.

The problem lays within the geometry of the propellers that they have mounted on the driven shaft.

If they encounter enough resistance from Ice chunks it would be enough to break the pins if they are a grade three or five shear pin.

If they had a simple thicker ice breaker with two opposing blades that would be simpler as there would be less resistance to material being fed back into the impeller housing.

If you get into the End of Driveway monster you will probably shear more pins if they use a lot of rock salt which will create ice dams that the plow will break up and push back.

Needless to say if they had snow gathering plows at the end of the wings that they would drop down before each driveway to pull the snow forward they would not plug up the driveways but In most states they will not buy and install them.

*&&*, I cannot even get them to plow below 35 miles an hour on our road to get rid of the snow and ice pack they leave because the plows bounce too much.

But what do I know they dont evenuse road graders on the NYS secondary roads like they should every time they plow as the plowing job would be better and they would be able to plow the roads in one pass rather than making two passes the first being the road in each lane and the second pass is plowing the shoulders and wasting fuel and money and increasing the wear and tear of the plow trucks.

A modern well equipped road grader can travel up to and beyond thirty five miles an hour if they need to. They can plow with a V plow, belly blade and a wing plow and if needed they can mount a second wing plow on the left side to enable them to plow both lanes to the shoulder edges, BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?.

Plowing slowly reduces the amount of damage a plow will do to an asphalt road surface.

I am someone who has tried to obtain recognition for my deicing and snow removal patent for the last 6 years to make money and in the end save the State of New York a billion dollars a year from buying rock salt in most years by using my product.

IT all goes back to the states policy of maintaining their primary and secondary roads to allow travel on a wet road surface at posted speed limits.

Every year the surface waters around here become more salty than sea water which is typically three percent chloride content or more. But what do I know? I just keep paying taxes to see them waste all this money and see fish kills from the lack of oxygen in the fresh water due to the salt brine created from the melting of the ice and snow with rock salt and other chemicals used for deicing that end up in the ditches, storm drains and then the fresh water lakes.

Gotta love progress, especially since we had brains enough to get rid of the interurban trolleys.

All the money wasted on the grand road projects would been eliminated and simply put toward fixing the rail transit system for freight of all kinds and carrying the trucks and like they do on the channel tunnel railway and maintaining the roads we already had.

I have chores to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts