1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great info, nice job. Make sure you post it in the LED Light Thread. Glad the module worked, i looked at it, but didn’t know enough about it so to be sure it would work, i only understand the basics, I’m a car guy...LOL. But it sure makes install easier. I used the original method and have had no trouble with the components in a box under the console, ran on the old blower 4 years.

You really did a nice job The only think i would change is loose the blue inline spice connectors. I have seen way too many hacked up vehicle systems with these in them, after a few years in the elements they just don’t perform. Get yourself some “crimp, heat , shrink” connectors. They are all in one connectors with solder built in and wrapped in heat shrink, just crimp them, heat them with a heat to seal the heat shrink, then keep heating till the solder melts and makes the connection solid!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bkwudz,

Thanks for the feedback! You know when I put those last 2 splice clips in I knew I should not have but working in the cold garage I wanted to get it done. I guarantee I would have had to replace them. All other connections were hand soldered and shrink tubed. So I went back and stayed old school and took them out and hand soldered and shrink tubed those too. Thanks for catching. New picts below and I updated the document.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qbegrrqux53m8y/2018_Ariens_Platinum_30_SHO_LED_Light_Upgrade.pdf?dl=0

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmmm….I also used that same AC/DC converter on my new 28sho. However, I just put my halogen light on a switch, so I could turn it off when using the handwarmers. Maybe I should think about swapping that bulb out for an LED as you did here so I don't have to worry about blowing my 5A fuse if I turn on all three switches. Why did you go with the ice blue one? Brightness? I think I'd rather it matched my other LED's in color temp, even if it sacrifices some brightness.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In your write up, i dont think you mention haveing to modify the stock housing to fit the LED, Maybe i missed it. But i got the led you have, and had to enlarge the opening significantly to fit the bulb. Its enlarged so much, i doubt the stock bulb would go back in. I got it it in, but after i fired it up, i am not a fan of the blue light, it really doesn’t provide much of an improvement.

After a little research, it looks like a 881 bulb will fit the stock housing and plug, I have 1000 lumen, bright white on the way, ill report back

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm….I also used that same AC/DC converter on my new 28sho. However, I just put my halogen light on a switch, so I could turn it off when using the handwarmers. Maybe I should think about swapping that bulb out for an LED as you did here so I don't have to worry about blowing my 5A fuse if I turn on all three switches. Why did you go with the ice blue one? Brightness? I think I'd rather it matched my other LED's in color temp, even if it sacrifices some brightness.
I only picked blue because I liked the color. That Holgen light is a power hog. Switching it to LED gives you another 15W to work with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In your write up, i dont think you mention haveing to modify the stock housing to fit the LED, Maybe i missed it. But i got the led you have, and had to enlarge the opening significantly to fit the bulb. Its enlarged so much, i doubt the stock bulb would go back in. I got it it in, but after i fired it up, i am not a fan of the blue light, it really doesn’t provide much of an improvement.

After a little research, it looks like a 881 bulb will fit the stock housing and plug, I have 1000 lumen, bright white on the way, ill report back

Sorry, yes I did have to modify the housing. I wish I knew about the 881 compatibility. The blue was rated at 1K lumen, albeit it is blue....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kudos for the great post, plenty of pics & info. I haven't upgraded to LED's on my Deluxe 24 yet but looking forward to it using your info.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry, yes I did have to modify the housing. I wish I knew about the 881 compatibility. The blue was rated at 1K lumen, albeit it is blue....
no problem, lots of good info in your instructions. Didn't matter to me, i have no problem modifying something to get the results i want. but its important to note for people that want to try, that im pretty sure the stock bulb will not go back in the modified housing. i ordered another housing to see how the 881 bulb fits I'll report back when it shows up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, found it. PN: 04812300 headlight assembly

But when buying a 3rd party LED replacement for the Halogen bulb make sure it supports 12V AC if you are doing a direct replacement. That was the benefit of the blue H11 one I had bought (direct AC replacement has the rectifier built in). It can be driven off of 12V AC directly. That way I did not have to run the halogen bulb replacement off of the AC/DC converter module driving 12V DC. The AC/DC module can only drive up to 3A max. Let me know about the 881 compatibility. It would have been great to not have to modify the housing assembly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just picked up a (used) Hydro Pro 28 and am interested in changing out the halogen for an LED bulb. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has installed an 881, what the specs are, and if it makes a big improvement. I wonder if ordering some online is the only way to locate these, because I'd love to source some at a brick and mortar store...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts