Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any information on this that they can pass along? I am in the market for a new snow blower and was all set on getting the Honda HSS 928 ATD until I saw all the complaints with Chute clogging. Now I think I will get the 2019 Toro Power Max HD 1428 OHXE Commercial (38843) instead. Kinda like the Anti-Clogging System (ACS) they patented.

·
Registered
939 Posts

Its a brand new model so nobody owns one yet.

More power, plus a host of new features in the form of LED lighting out front, top loading gear case and more metal (not that the plastic was ever a problem).

The ACS has been around since ~2002 and is the real deal.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yours could always have an "accident" :)

What's the benefit of the top-loading gearbox? Ideally, you should never need to mess with the gearbox. If the top-loading means you can access (replace) broken gears without needing to remove the impeller shaft from the impeller itself, that's cool. But of course, if applicable safeguards (shear pins, etc) are doing their job, this should never be an issue anyhow.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yours could always have an "accident" :)

What's the benefit of the top-loading gearbox? Ideally, you should never need to mess with the gearbox. If the top-loading means you can access (replace) broken gears without needing to remove the impeller shaft from the impeller itself, that's cool. But of course, if applicable safeguards (shear pins, etc) are doing their job, this should never be an issue anyhow.

Agree on the silliness of advertising a top-loading gearbox. For years, Toro has been telling us that their gearbox is industrial strength. Now, just in case it really isn't industrial strength, we will have an easy time fixing it . Sheesh !

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The redesigned Toros seem to be really nice well built machines that are priced competitively. I’m not sure if you viewed the recent post from Robert from Honda. It seems like they are offering a fix beginning next month a redesigned chute to prevent the clogging issues experienced or at least more common in certain markets. I would get behind any machine and play with the controls before buying it as every machine has its differences. I am a big fan of Toro’s Quick-Stik®️ chute control. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for chiming in. I went to my local dealer and showed him the $2199 price from Home Depot and Snow Blower Direct and they matched it. I put $1400 down and financed the rest with Toro's 0% financing for 12 months. Yes I ran the whole idea past the CFO and she said yes! :) BTW she also greenlighted a new Toro lawn mower as well. Sold off my Craftsman 26" snow thrower for $300 and Toro electric start 22" lawn mower for $100 to hedge the new purchases. Than sold off a bunch of crap laying around uselessly forever and raised over $1300 more . . .

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So if I am right you have bought a 1428, great choice Your the king of Toro Power I am gone from the top of the Toro pile with the newer blowers. Let us know how well it blows for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if I am right you have bought a 1428, great choice Your the king of Toro Power I am gone from the top of the Toro pile with the newer blowers. Let us know how well it blows for you
Yeah - I will definitely do a full review here on it and also have my wife take some video of me working it. :smile2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took delivery on my new 2019 PowerMax HD 1428 last Saturday and took it for a dry run around the driveway. First impressions are it is easy to steer with the assisted steering paddles. However, it is a little jumpy when you engage the drive. I will need to get use to it. Also, it seems either the factory or my dealer set it up so that the throttle only open up halfway to full running rabbit. I took it apart and increased the power by turning the adjusting screw out. Now it runs at 3/4's full throttle. I will see how it behaves when we get our first snow. Other than that I have a few preliminary pictures for you all . . .
Trying to determine if I should buy chains for this beast or not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
That’s a sweet machine! Looks like toro is ready to play with the big boys.

I love the metal dual deflector and the quick chute controls. This will certainly sway Consumers looking at the wheeled Ariens Pro and the Simplicity signature Pro models.

But man... if only they offered a hydro transmission.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts