Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, take a look at this. I've got this ice formation wrapped around the axle on the right side. Could some fluid be leaking thru the axle and freezing on the surface? :sad2: Could this just be snow melting off the hot portions of the machine and dripping down to create this ice formation? It's very smooth and symmetric in shape. There's nothing on the other side, it looks as you would expect it to. It's kind of strange and has definitely captured my attention :plain: Thanks.

Attachments

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
No you do not have a leak it is just Dirty snow from the ground mixed it with grease from the shaft. SO Don't SWEAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm praying that's all it is and I'm not due for another $100 ride for more warranty claims on this thing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No leak, just accumulation that built up . The shaft got cold enough where any water froze to it and any additional snow, ice or water built up. I wouldn't worry about this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The only liquids that could "leak" from your engine are gasoline and oil. Neither of those would freeze.

Because motor oil does not crystallize, or solidify, at any temperature, it technically does not freeze, though motor oils at cool or freezing temperatures (32 degrees Fahrenheit or below) will begin to thicken and lose the viscosity.

Gasoline doesn't have a definite freezing point. There are too many mixes and varieties. But if it did get cold enough to freeze, you wouldn't be outside to notice - you'd be inside staying safe. (some say around -70F). :t09015:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks a lot! I appreciate the input. I didn't know if the axles on a machine like this would be like the solid axle on an old American car. Didn't think so, but who knows?

It's so cold in the garage that I had to put the heater on that axle for an hour this morning to melt it off. That block of ice broke away clean - - didn't see anything to be worried about.

I think I removed and greased the alxes on this machine when I bought it. I guess I'll double-check tomorrow so I have something to do :plain:

Thanks again !!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did another oil change on this SHO today. It holds in excess of 1 quart for the refill.

I was able to get the right wheel off (the one with the circlip), but could not remove the left side. Significant visible corrosion on the parts I was able to remove. I sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil on the troublesome side - - will check it again following next use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts