Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 28" Ariens this fall. Have used it twice now in Massachusetts in the last few weeks.

I'm new to snowblowers, but I've used a neighbor's blower, and have certainly seen many snowblowers in use.

This machine doesn't seem to throw the snow very far. I have to go over my (large) driveway several times, moving the snow in one direction and then moving it again until it's off the driveway. And, at the bottom of the driveway (where the town plows move snow into the driveway), it doesn't blow the snow very high.

It just strikes me as underpowered. The first time I figured the snow was very heavy, but that is was not the case with the second storm, where the snow was very light.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong, or there is some problem that needs to be fixed?

Your advice would be welcome!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased a 28" Ariens this fall. Have used it twice now in Massachusetts in the last few weeks.

I'm new to snowblowers, but I've used a neighbor's blower, and have certainly seen many snowblowers in use.

This machine doesn't seem to throw the snow very far. I have to go over my (large) driveway several times, moving the snow in one direction and then moving it again until it's off the driveway. And, at the bottom of the driveway (where the town plows move snow into the driveway), it doesn't blow the snow very high.

It just strikes me as underpowered. The first time I figured the snow was very heavy, but that is was not the case with the second storm, where the snow was very light.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong, or there is some problem that needs to be fixed?

Your advice would be welcome!
I just took delivery of an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO with the bigger 302cc in time to clean up some of the mess here in MA from the blizzard. I live in Franklin where we got about 16" - I found the snow to be 'heavy' not wet but very heavy. My Ariens handled it with no trouble throwing the snow a good distance.

Do you overlap when you blow your driveway i.e. take only 2/3 to 1/2 of the blower width on each pass (other than the first pass)? Even with the 14" impeller I think you can overload it, try to take too much or go too fast.

Where did you buy it? Box store or power equipment dealer? What specific model is it?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ariens advises to adjust the auger belt after a run in period. It should be in your manual. Basically pull the belt cover, clamp the auger engagement handle down and see how much deflection you have in the belt. i think if it's more than 1/2", you release the handle, loosen the idler pulleys bolt and side it over toward center, re tighten and check again. Should be good to go. Assuming you are running it full throttle and choke off, you should easily be able to through from one side to the other.
Good to know - thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
if it has the254cc motor its way under powered
How do you know? 254cc is equivalent to about 8HP. I had an 8HP Toro Power Max that was a beast - would throw snow 40' easy. The Ariens is rated at 62 tons of snow per hour plus it's always one of the top snowblowers in reviews and ratings - both consumer and professional reviews. SO, how is it helpful to say it's underpowered when you really can't say that with any certainty........

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I've heard people mention an Ariens with a 254cc engine with a 28" bucket, though I don't know if that's what your exact machine has. Only as a point of comparison, my 1024 Pro (from ~2000) has a 318cc OHV engine (rated at 10hp), and 24" bucket. It takes more of the SHO-style approach.

But you said it doesn't throw as far as you'd like. Is the engine bogging down while blowing? Or is the engine maintaining RPMs (not bogging), but simply not throwing as far as you'd expect?

The first is a question of sufficient engine power, of course, and relates to the engine size, how heavy/deep the snow is, etc. But the second would imply that you have enough power, yet for some reason it's still not throwing as far as hoped.

If the engine is slowing down, try taking a narrower cut, to reduce the load on the engine. This should help let it maintain RPMs, and then see how the throwing distance is, see if there's an improvement.

If the engine is holding RPMs already, you could have a slipping belt, as was mentioned. Or you could simply be dealing with snow that doesn't travel far. Heavy snow is difficult to throw (takes a lot of power). But really-light snow doesn't have *enough* weight, and sometimes won't go far (think of throwing a whiffleball). Or there could be other issues, such as an excessive gap between the impeller and the impeller housing. Or an engine RPM that's set too low.

Also, sometimes small amounts of snow are tougher to throw. If you get a 1-2" storm, you may *need* to use a fast ground speed, to help keep the impeller fully fed, to help your throwing performance. If you crept along in 1st gear, you might not throw as far, vs using 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
the 254cc has a real hp figure of 7.6 hardly enough for a 28 bucket
whats the max rpm? factory setting its almost never set 3600

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Lee,

1) Welcome to the forum!

2) It's a little hard to give advice without knowing a bit more info. First and foremost: how far is "not very far"? 5 feet? 10? 20?

Also where are you located, or more to the point was the snow reasonably dry or very heavy and wet?

And as another poster indicated, it would be helpful to know the exact model, and/or the spec (HP, cc's, or torque) on the engine.

I'd say even a "somewhat underpowered" snowblower should be able to throw heavy snow 10 feet. More power or lighter snow = farther. If your machine has a smallish engine and you're looking to throw snow 50 feet, you may be in trouble.

Reactions: russ01915

·
Banned
474 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
How do you know? 254cc is equivalent to about 8HP. I had an 8HP Toro Power Max that was a beast - would throw snow 40' easy. The Ariens is rated at 62 tons of snow per hour plus it's always one of the top snowblowers in reviews and ratings - both consumer and professional reviews. SO, how is it helpful to say it's underpowered when you really can't say that with any certainty........
on its best day its 7.5 hp on a bigger28 bucket anything less then 300cc is a joke on a 2 stage machine 28 bucket should have 342 cc ohv or 358 cc flat head

its called common sense

·
Registered
654 Posts
Please tell us the model number of the blower and the engine information. Without this info the conversation is based on assumptions. Assumptions is to ASSuME something.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a 212 cc engine on a 24 in bucket that is a beast...handles 15 inch wet snow like it was a joke. 4 winters ago it handled the 101 inches we got in four storms with no complaint. I truly believe it would power a 32 inch bucket as well. It outperforms the same machine with an 8 hp Tec...by a mile....only 6.5 hp rated....I'm hoping to build a 420 cc 32 in machine just to be in awe.....but I don't need it.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I was just going to say something similar.

My second snowblower was a Hahn-Eclipse with a Tecumseh HMS60 6 HP engine which according to the service manual is 222 cc. That machine could throw snow from our neighbor's driveway into ours, which as I just measured on Google maps is about 60 feet.

Having said that, the Hahn-Eclipse had a 24" bucket... it might not have performed as well if it were larger.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I had this machine a few years ago and ended up selling it because it is underpowered. It is a well built heavy duty machine with an engine that is too small for its size and heft. My control was a mid nineties MTD 640F w/an 8HP Tecumseh Snow King that outperformed my then new Ariens Deluxe 28 with the 254cc engine on the plow pile. The Ariens through powder nearly 50' but was underpowered in other conditions. Personally I am surprised Ariens is still selling Deluxe 28s with the small engine when for a $100. more you can buy a Deluxe 28 SHO with the 306cc engine and the higher RPM impeller. Granted you have to buy it from an independent dealer not a big box. I am sure the standard Deluxe 28 with the 12.5 lb.-ft. of torque engine retailing for $1099. is a more profitable machine for Ariens than the SHO model. I would only buy an Ariens with a 24 inch auger with that 254cc engine. I know Consumer Reports rated the standard Deluxe 28 well but the engine is a poor fit for a machine of that size.

I would just focus on technique to get the most out of this machine if you want to hold onto it. I know the feeling when you spend a $1000. + on a machine you think will be awesome and then it dissapoints. Take small 1/2 bucket or less attacks (depending on the storm) when working the plow pile. Always start in the center of the driveway so you don't have to throw to far either way and take it slow. Good luck

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I have a 212 cc engine on a 24 in bucket that is a beast...handles 15 inch wet snow like it was a joke. 4 winters ago it handled the 101 inches we got in four storms with no complaint. I truly believe it would power a 32 inch bucket as well. It outperforms the same machine with an 8 hp Tec...by a mile....only 6.5 hp rated....I'm hoping to build a 420 cc 32 in machine just to be in awe.....but I don't need it.
Impressive! I'm going to assume that's a HF Predator. Geez, I wish I had an application where I could try one of those. And, to be honest, I wish they made something in the 300cc range. That jump to 420cc is pretty big.

With 318cc OHV, and 24" bucket, I've made sure my governor is working properly, my cylinder bore is good, and my valves and governor are adjusted, but I still have to slow down a bunch for 15" of heavy snow. The engine will slow some under heavy loads, but I know its governor isn't perfect.

I've seen the RPMs drop by a few hundred RPMs, without the throttle plate opening fully (I had the heater box removed, so I could watch the throttle). I haven't yet rigged something up to let me pull the throttle plate open manually on-demand, just to see if the engine has more to give, as it begins slowing some.

I don't find the machine under-powered, but it's not magic. And it's a significantly larger engine, with the same size bucket, vs your 212cc example. Those must be nice engines!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This thread has me concerned. I got a Deluxe 28 SHO today and since it was bust ass cold, I didn't get to try it much, but it didn't seem to perform as well as my old POS MTD 640F w/a 8HP Tecumseh Snow King, as mentioned above. Plus the thing pulls to one side. Just got the thing and I feel I have to wrench on it already. Kind of bummed and wondering if I should have kept my MTD

·
Registered
29 Posts
on its best day its 7.5 hp on a bigger28 bucket anything less then 300cc is a joke on a 2 stage machine 28 bucket should have 342 cc ohv or 358 cc flat head

its called common sense
How do you know? Have you done you're own testing with all the available engines?? CC's seems not nearly as important at torque specs for the given engine. The actual CC to HP conversion is not exact - depends on the engine design - the torque on that motor is 12.5 ft/lbs - not too bad. Ariens is a really good name and I would be surprised if they underpowered their snowblowers as there's no reason for them to do that.

I think you mean it's your opinion vs. common sense. I would prefer to see the testing results and engineering specs from Ariens first before I made a blanket statement that this CC engine is required for this width unit, etc........

1 - 20 of 103 Posts