Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the throttle control on my 28 Deluxe. I've only run it a few four times so far, so maybe something is sticky and it'll work itself out with a little time. Brand new machine btw.

Here is what it's doing:

I can feel/see three throttle rotation stop positions- idle, middle, and wide open. I would expect that the engine should respond with three different rpms.

But- this is what I get:
Idle and wide open positions both function as they should.
However, the middle position doesn't work correctly IMO. The middle position will bring the engine speed to wide open rpm, rather than a "middle" rpm. And then, with the engine ripping at full rpm in middle position and I put the machine under a load, the engine speed drops to some sort of lower middle-ish rpm.
Clicking up to the high speed throttle setting, the engine barks to life and pulls as it should.

This seems like the governor system keeps it from over revving, but the throttle control spring is sticking or doing something just not quite right. Or do the Deluxe 24 and 28 machines behave like this?

Thanks in advance for replies, comments, and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Any snow blowing should be in full position for any machine.

Many do not even give you a throttle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well technically speaking, there are infinite throttle positions between idle and run because there are no defined click-stop positions. And yes, the manual says to turn the throttle control to either idle or run. I was thinking that the engine would run at a user selected rpm in the same manner many other engines. And bluntly I am told that does not run at different rpm levels.

If the snow is just few inches, I'll run the engine at just 3/4 full revs or so. No need to wring the engine's neck for a light load. But OTH maybe I've been doing it all wrong for the past almost 40 years- how could I have been soooooo stupid....

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
:)

The light snow , I personally use a higher gear ....

I have always run my summer or winter equipment at full throttle, as intended. I never mowed a yard or snow blowed a driveway at anything less than the manufactures intention of full throttle.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As I understand it there really isn't a "wide open throttle" position on the lever. There is a "maximum governed rpm" and that is what the lever controls. The governor is connected to the throttle, but the user is not. If users were given direct throttle control almost all would blow up the engines within the first few hours of operation. The governor prevents that.

So when you move the lever to "half throttle" what you're really doing is limiting how far the governor will open the throttle, and while the engine will reach it's maximum governed rpm, it will not develop it's maximum power.

At the "full throttle" lever setting the throttle will only really be wide open if the rpm drops below the governed maximum, at which point the governor will allow truly "wide open" throttle.

At least that's my understanding of it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
C'mon people
if you had the carb cover off there is a stop its idle or full you can turn just past the idle stop its still full rpm no middle

WV its still called full throttle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts