Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Rochester, NY and we get 100+ inches of snow per year. My 20 year old MTD has a 8 horsepower Tecumseh engine. I never thought I needed more power. Will I be happy with the basic Deluxe or should I step up to the SHO?

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I would get the SHO

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a similar question, trying to choose between Pro 28, or the Platinum 24 SHO. Neighbor has a Platinum 24SHO, and really seems to blow the snow, no clogging, no slowing down, or bogging down at the end of the driveway. I like the larger B&S engine, and the larger fuel tank on the Pro models, plus the Pro seems to be built heavier, and according to the specs it is. I kind of like "bigger" and more HP, but his Platinum really does a good job. Don't know if the extra money for the Pro is worth it or not. Appreciate any suggestions or opinions between the two models.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Jim, welcome to the forum! What is the output of the 24" SHO (there are two different models) and what is the output of the Pro 28?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, I didn't know there was two different , but this would be the Platinum 24 SHO, and that shows 73 tons per hour, with a throwing distance of 3-55' if that is the question. The Pro 28 lists 79 tons per hours, with throwing distance 3-60'. I'm thinking that the higher HP of the Pro is pretty much like the SHO when it comes to throwing. And, I certainly can't argue with WVguy, there is no such thing as a snowblower with too much power.

I have until probably mid to late summer to make up my mind since that will be when the dealer will get their supply of blower's in. I'm leaning towards "bigger is better". I'm always open to suggestions and thoughts.

Thanks again for the imput.

Jim

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There have been carbureted and fuel injected 24" SHO versions in the past. Not sure what their (Ariens) strategy will be going forward, EFI was $400 more. A number of folks here have purchased the EFI version.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think EFI is a great thing, but not so sure I want to go down that path on a snowblower. I have owned Ariens snowblowers in the past and never had an issue starting, and never had an issue with anything on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts