Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to use my new 28" SHO today but only about 3" of snow. Obviously it did a great job but wasn't really a true test. With all the negatives I've read about the Auto-Turn I was prepared to hate it but mine seems to work perfectly.

The plow pile at the end was about 6" and posed no problems thankfully.

After I was done I was checking over everything and was surprised when I looked in the fuel tank. It had very fine metallic "dust" collected on the bottom. I used a telescopic magnet to fish most of it out. I didn't see a fuel filter so I hope I don't have carburetor problems down the road.

I looked in the tank before I added fuel for the first time and didn't see anything.

The pile of "dust" is about the size of a penny.

IMG_2388 by Vincent Lemmon, on Flickr

IMG_2393 by Vincent Lemmon, on Flickr

IMG_2393 (2) by Vincent Lemmon, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
No way to tell if you got it all. Just wondering how it got there. Is the tank metal or plastic?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Glad you're happy with the machine, good choice.

Those metal filings are a bit disturbing, I had some scattered about when I changed my break-in oil, which is to be expected. However not sure how they wound up in your fuel tank are they that sloppy at the LCT factory?

I would suggest that you reach out to the dealer get his take and go from there. You can also call into Ariens tech support on Monday or send them an email via their website. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Yikes, that's disconcerting. Hopefully there's a fuel filter. But even if there is, steel filings might be small enough to fit through some filters anyhow. Good luck, please let us know what the dealer says.

If you wanted some "protection" against this, you could maybe still a small but powerful magnet on the bottom of the gas tank, near where the fuel line comes out. That way it would hopefully help attract and catch any metal filings that are still floating around in there.

If the fuel line is accessible, you could consider putting a magnet on the fuel line itself. Possibly along with a filter.

·
Registered
871 Posts
w. t. f. yikes. i'd be concerned,
like how did it get there, from what did it come from, and did it do any engine damage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked my gas can and its all good. Maybe when they stamp out the 2 halves of the tank some of the steel comes off from the friction?

It's very very fine almost like a graphite dust.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
i would be very concerned about that metal in the tank.....it absolutely should not be there under any circumstances. if that stuff makes it to the combustion chamber, it will lead to a premature engine failure. email ariens with the pic and story.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
looks like might be shavings from drilling out tank for gas shutoff valve
as i understand its threaded in the tank??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like might be shavings from drilling out tank for gas shutoff valve
as i understand its threaded in the tank??
No I can see the shutoff valve. It's rubber line from the tank to the valve that's mounted to an engine cover. Then from the valve to the carb is more rubber line. No filter that I can see.

The pic looks like shavings but that's from being wet from gas and its still clumped together from the magnet. To me it looks more like what you would get from sanding bare metal.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I assume the tank has a screen filter on it, so the odds of it going into your carb are pretty slim. However, that isn't good QC and has to make you wonder what else was missed, or if something did get past the screen. This COULD lead to bigger problems down the road, I'd ask for another machine, or more likely document it within Ariens and ask for an extended warrantee. Which direction depends on how much you use it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No I can see the shutoff valve. It's rubber line from the tank to the valve that's mounted to an engine cover. Then from the valve to the carb is more rubber line. No filter that I can see.

The pic looks like shavings but that's from being wet from gas and its still clumped together from the magnet. To me it looks more like what you would get from sanding bare metal.
The filter would be up in the tank if there is one. I can't see them NOT using one, that would be ridiculous. I betcha it's in there where the rubber hose connects.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
You did the right thing to fish out the metal with a magnet. You can for good measure place a nice neodymium magnet underneath the tank to capture any stragglers. The fish out what ever is left that collects.

No harm in holding onto some photos or letting the dealer know.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If your motivated, remove the carburetor bowl and see what made it inside. If you find gunk in the bowl flush the tank by removing the rubber fuel line. Add more gas to wash it out.

If it's running fine I wouldn't worry because your carburetor orifices aren't plugged, your engine won't run well, if at all if it was. I think there is a screen in the tank, but the holes are fairly large, it might not catch metal dust. You could add a in-line filter, just be careful as you need to use a filter for gravity fed engines. Otherwise the filter could restrict the flow of fuel. Briggs & Stratton in-line red filters are very easy to add. I added them to my blowers. I should have some protection from junk in the tank. Loews or Amazon has them. Cheaper on Amazon. $6 at Loews last time I looked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I would have left the magnet in the tank to make sure I got it all. That definitely doesn't belong in there under any circumstances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mines different. Looks like the plastic piece coming off the tank could be some sort of "filter" on mine.

Regardless I'm gonna pull the bowl off the carb and pull the tank off and flush it out. If the bowl is clean I feel pretty confident none of this crap made it into my engine.

IMG_2397 by Vincent Lemmon, on Flickr

IMG_2398 by Vincent Lemmon, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 36 Posts