Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Husqvarna's website is correct. With the introduction of the Husqvarna 400 series, Husqvarna has re-positioned the 300 series. The 400 series models are all hydrostatic with wheeled, tracked, carb and EFI variations. I'm sure there are old reviews out there on the interweb that list old 300 series models with their respective hydro's but that's old news. And while it is old news I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could still find a brand new 300 hydro for sale out there somewhere. Matter of fact I think a new member just bought one a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Brainsan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation. It looks like the secret code is a P suffix on the model number (as in ST330P) for the older version, and I have seen a few of them still available.

I'm looking to replace a 25 year old MTD, and one of problems with it is the friction disc trans. I often have to deal with a huge end of driveway puddle as the street is highly crowned (a lot of cars will drag going in and out). And when the friction disc gets wet, the drive is crippled until it finally dries out again. So whatever I get is going to have a hydrostatic trans.

I'm sure the 400 series is nice, but the $1000 difference between equivalent models is rather breathtaking. Is it really worth it?

I'm also looking at Ariens, but equivalent hydrostatic models are as much or more than the 400 series. And Honda seems to be even more, for what looks like less.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Grab up one of the discontinued 300's with the hydro before they're gone. IMHO a bargain.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I guess in all my years of doing driveways, even loading my trailer, doing drives for profit, in all kinds of weather, Never did I ever experience a slipping friction drive due to weather. I am truly blessed … :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I guess in all my years of doing driveways, even loading my trailer, doing drives for profit, in all kinds of weather, Never did I ever experience a slipping friction drive due to weather. I am truly blessed … :)
Me neither, they are pretty tough and reliable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brainsan I just bought a 327P. It has the hydrostatic drive. I have not used it yet for snow but am impressed with the observable build quality.

I paid $1299 plus tax. The site currently has 10% special promotion that can be used for other stuff on their site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
For me it's not the weather, it's the water. And with my end of driveway pond, the water is pretty much guaranteed.

Oh, it will dry out and start working eventually, but I'm tired of pushing dead weight until it does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brainsan I just bought a 327P. It has the hydrostatic drive. I have not used it yet for snow but am impressed with the observable build quality.

I paid $1299 plus tax. The site currently has 10% special promotion that can be used for other stuff on their site.
Thanks, which site, if that's ok to ask? (If not, PM?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure most of you have been there, but upgrade madness is starting to take hold of me. I was originally looking at the ST327P & ST330P, and now I'm eyeing up the ST427T and ST430T with tracks and fuel injection and everything. Of course the price has doubled as well!

The best excuse I can come up with for justifying the monster model is I turned 60 this year (how did THAT happen?), and I'm guessing I'm not going to get any younger. I got 25 years out of the old MTD, and I spent a lot of time cussing it. I'm ok with spending more, if I'm going to get another 25 years out of it (hopefully!). And I don't want to have older me cussing what younger me bought him.

So what do you say on the ST430T? Talk me out of it, or talk me into it. Or maybe the equivalent Honda?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Still lovin the ST330P. Got a bit of snow today. Going strong💪

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I enjoyed the time with my Husqvarna 924HVX. I just wanted a machine with handwarmers and a throttle. That machine the handlebars were rather tall so I needed something more comfy. Now they have adjustable handlebars. But overall an excellent snowblower.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Glad you made the big purchase, been dreaming about one but my blower is only 6 years old so that is not happening this year. Let us know how it works in the big snow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 7, no snowblower in sight, hope fading fast, may have to resort to cannibalism.

It's been sitting at "Destination Terminal" since Monday.

Impatient, me?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now they're taunting me. I got an email this morning saying:

"This is a friendly reminder that your Snow Blowers Direct shipment is on its way."

It's still sitting at "Destination Terminal".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make a call if you are concerned … never hurts to check.
Don't know if it's cause, effect, or coincidence, but a few hours after I replied to the "It's on the way" email with a "Where is it really?" message, I got a call telling me it would be delivered the next day.

It came Friday, and the semi driver said "Your road is so crowned, I thought the trailer might tip over!" There were a couple of holes smashed in the box, but they missed everything vital.

"Assembly" was just standing up the handlebars, installing the chute assembly, and hooking up and adjusting a few cables. The oil level was fine on the dipstick, so I added some non-ethanol gas, and I could hear the fuel injection system prime when I turned it on. After a few revolutions with the electric starter, it lit right up. Every subsequent start has been immediate.

It snowed today, but nothing stuck, so I'll just be sitting here with my nose to the window for the next week or so. I bet I've caused a winter drought for Utah!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts