Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to clear 28 " of snow. My new 26" 3x does well on loose snow but when up against a drift of 36". it just will not blow , especially if snow is compacted form a little sun. Wheels just stop and auger keep on going with no snow out of the chute. Just like I was trying to push a stone wall. Bad unit or need some adjustment. Bought at Home Depot, do they do adjustments?

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
:welcome: to the forum Jerry

Home Depot assembles it but that's as far as they go unless you just happen to run into a blower enthusiast who'd be willing to help you out.

I wouldn't think it uncommon any machine might have some trouble cutting through 26" of snow compacted form a little sun.
What gear were you using ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st gear or 2nd, no difference. I also have trouble getting the machine into 2R, really difficult to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JerryB I feel your pain man. I bought mine from a dealer and have performance issues like yours also. I just wish I would have videoed the problems I was having. Next time I will.

One reply told me It is what it is.....You get what you pay for. So I guess we are stuck.

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
One reply told me It is what it is.....You get what you pay for. So I guess we are stuck.
Well you paid good money and the Cub isn't top of the line but it's a good machine that does well and most owners of the newer 3X cub's really like them so I'd say it might be more a matter of going through the adjustments.

I did feel (IMHO) that going through 36" of "snow is compacted form a little sun" does sound to ME like a tough job for any blower and wanting to have something between neutral and first gear has been mentioned before from a lot of different manufacturer owners.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
1st gear or 2nd, no difference. I also have trouble getting the machine into 2R, really difficult to do.
hello jerry, welcome to SBF!!
sounds like your cub had poor assembly from home depot

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it's always best to get at the piles when they are fresh and haven't had time to cement up.... but it does sound like somethings amiss? Can you post up the model and serial number for us.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up

I called Cub Service and they recommended tightening drive cable as in the manual. I did this and there is some improvement and I know drift removal is difficult. Any one used tire chains on this model with its deep tread tires?

Shifter was adjusted but I cannot make it any easier to get into R2. Advice was that it should be difficult since it tightens the cable to its limit and that perhaps the cable will stretch some with age and use. Sounds like no advice at all to me. I wonder how someone with poorer arm strength could do it at all!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I called Cub Service and they recommended tightening drive cable as in the manual. I did this and there is some improvement and I know drift removal is difficult. Any one used tire chains on this model with its deep tread tires?

Shifter was adjusted but I cannot make it any easier to get into R2. Advice was that it should be difficult since it tightens the cable to its limit and that perhaps the cable will stretch some with age and use. Sounds like no advice at all to me. I wonder how someone with poorer arm strength could do it at all!
Hi Jerry
No something was not assembled properly. It shouldn't be difficult at all to put it into R2 or any gear for that matter. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on how to adjust/correct this but I'm sure someone here would be able to help you out with that

And welcome :white^_^arial^_^0^_

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Hi Jerry
No something was not assembled properly. It shouldn't be difficult at all to put it into R2 or any gear for that matter. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on how to adjust/correct this but I'm sure someone here would be able to help you out with that

And welcome :white^_^arial^_^0^_

They make cross link chains that are suppose to work for deep treads. They basically are X shaped so the chains don't fall in the treads.

I used a Troy Bilt that had that shifter set up. It seemed like a crappy setup to me. Instead of using a solid rod like most machines they just use a steel cable. There is a return spring that pulls it to F6 and then every gear down you pull it you are putting more tension on that spring. The solid rod machines are just free floating, but those springs/cables that MTD uses are under a lot of tension.

Maybe when in storage store it will the shifter pulled all the way down in an attempt to stretch that spring out quicker.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They make cross link chains that are suppose to work for deep treads. They basically are X shaped so the chains don't fall in the treads.

I used a Troy Bilt that had that shifter set up. It seemed like a crappy setup to me. Instead of using a solid rod like most machines they just use a steel cable. There is a return spring that pulls it to F6 and then every gear down you pull it you are putting more tension on that spring. The solid rod machines are just free floating, but those springs/cables that MTD uses are under a lot of tension.

Maybe when in storage store it will the shifter pulled all the way down in an attempt to stretch that spring out quicker.
Yes the Cub Cadets purchased in big box stores use a cable for gear selection. The Cub Cadet HD models use a heavy duty rod. I used to have a Craftsman which was a great machine but I don't recall if it had a cable or a rod but I never had any trouble with gear selection on that one either. I wonder if all machines with cables have that problem or if it wasn't properly assembled ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
things like this make you glad when you have a great dealer. I have no faith in the big box stores for things mechanical. I wouldn't even let them put together a gas grill.
Hope it all gets worked out....sucks when things don't work. I can tell you that it can and should work that is......something amiss.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't understand, there really isn't match assembly when they come on the pallet. Couple cables/rods and the shoot controls. I don't think it's the dealers to blame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor snow removal

I also have a new 3X26 HD Cub that was a replacement for a new 3x26 that had the auger rattle. (dealer was good enough to swap machine out) However the past few days sent us heavy wet snow approx. 6-8", this machine would barely handle this snow and in some cases just jammed up and pushed the snow like a plow. The intakes and shoot were liberally sprayed with silicone anticipating heavy packing. My old machine a 8 horse Toro with conventional auger would at least break this snow up and spit it out when used in 1st gear. The three stage Cub seams to just to pack the snow behind the first auger overwhelming the discharge auger. I'm seriously considering taking a loss and going for a conventional auger machine and possibly not the Cub Cadet. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think your probably right...... just a bad design from the sounds of it. That's to bad > yet another fail on Cub's part. They should have never gone the MTD road - but, it's still their design and MTD just builds what they are told. SO it's still their fault in the end......
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I used to be a big fan of Cub - it's painful to see them self destruct.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
I think your probably right...... just a bad design from the sounds of it. That's to bad > yet another fail on Cub's part. They should have never gone the MTD road - but, it's still their design and MTD just builds what they are told. SO it's still their fault in the end......
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I used to be a big fan of Cub - it's painful to see them self destruct.
Im not 100% sure, but I dont think that how the Cub Cadet/MTD relationship works..

I have some books on Cub Cadet garden tractors, and from what I remember in those books, it's more like this:

Cub Cadet brand was created by International Harvester in 1960.
Cub Cadet garden tractors were built by IH from 1960 to 1983.

In 1981, IH sold their Cub Cadet division to MTD. it remained fairly independant for awhile, but eventually the "real cub" designs were phased out, and MTD designs took over.

Since then, MTD has owned the "name"..but MTD is the "parent company" and MTD actually designs and builds everything..they then just paint and letter snowblowers, mowers and tractors for the varions brand-names that they own: Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard machines, and several others.

Cub Cadet is not at all indepandant from MTD..Cub Cadet is simply one of many brand names that MTD owns..Its similar to a Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge or Ford-Lincoln-Mercury relationship, but with much less independence among separate brands. I dont believe Cub Cadet actually exists as any kind of individual entity that designs anything..MTD runs they whole show, they design everything, then they just put different paint and labels on the various machines..

Its also entirely possible that Cub Cadet garden tractors have a completely different evolutionary timeline than do snowblowers. I believe current Cub Cadet garden tractors can be said to be evolutionary descendants of the original line..but Cub Cadet never made their own walk-behind snowblowers..ever..as far as I know...so I still think Cub Cadet snowblowers have nothing to do with Cub Cadet in a design sense..they are "100% MTD"..

im fairly sure that is correct..but it might not be exactly correct! ;)
if not, I would be interested to learn the actual relationships between the brands..

thanks,
Scot

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
the sad thing about mtd is they use the good reputation of brands like mtd troybilt, craftsman and many others and use it to suck people in to buying low quality overpriced equipment, built to be as cheap as possible and nothing more. but thats just my opinion

1 - 20 of 33 Posts