Snowblower Forum banner

521 Squall Paddles?

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  KOBO 
#1 ·
Greetings

Today I picked up a Squall 521 single stage blower with a Tecumseh engine. Runs good and only cost $20.

The rubber paddles are shot and the original owner didn't really need it any more.

So, I see plenty of after market paddles offered for these things, but the one common complaint I see is that they are no way near as thick as original equipment. Does anyone know if there are original style available? I cant even find part numbers for just the paddles, only the whole auger assembly with them.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

K

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I also could not find a separate number. Troy Bilt is made by MTD. You could call them. I have a MTD outside, I'll check that model number tomorrow. You could buy baling belt and make your own.

Reactions: KOBO
#3 ·
If you are at all interested you could pick up 10 feet of round baler belt from the local tractor supply store and cut it to width using a sabre saw on low speed and then matching the mounting holes up with the worn out strips.
Its 3/16 thick baler belt if I remember correctly and you can probably double it up too.

You will need new bolts nuts and washers and the old ones may just snap right off if your lucky.

If you have a Fastenal store nearby that would be the place to buy the nuts and bolts and washers.

The Allen bolts would be easier to hold onto when installing them and prevent filling the swear jar if the apprentice snow shoveler is helping you. They are more expensive to buy but the savings on time and bloody knuckles are worth it.

You may want to consider buying fine thread allen bolts, flat washers and and nylock nuts if you plan on keeping it as they will let you remove the belting when it wears out and you will have enough belt left to make a new set of paddle rubber.

Your snow shoveler in training is really cute but she is too short to help with holding the baler belt while cutting it to the proper width. just be sure to measure the gap between the worn edge and the shell to get the right width when you cut the baler belt.

Be careful with that one as she may fire up the beast when your not looking and it will have her sailing along horizontally on the side walk teasing the dog to chase her instead of the mailman haha.

You can just use a standard metal bit to cut the new bolt holes in the baler belt.

#11 ·
I own a couple Deere's so I've learned to get the JD number and then see if it crosses over to another manufacturers number and then take that number and search for sellers. It's amazing how prices vary and a little searching can save a lot of $$$.

#12 ·
I own a couple Deere's so I've learned to get the JD number and then see if it crosses over to another manufacturers number and then take that number and search for sellers. It's amazing how prices vary and a little searching can save a lot of $$$..
Agreed. It really gets crazy some times. I had a Bolens riding mower that I broke the blade adapter for on one of the two blades. No problem, I figured, I'd just order another one. The machine wasnt that old but it was made after MTD took over Bolens - and they were no longer supporting the machine. Using the Bolens number I finally found a resource for the adapter: $90 plus shipping.

After hunting around I eventually found that the deck had been made for Bolens by a Sweedish company, Stiga. More hunting and I found they still used the deck and adapter on their own machines, they wouldn't sell it to me ("you have to talk to MTD") but I had their part number and eventually found a company here in the states who could get it for me: $19 plus $5 shipping.

I never did though find replacement blades for it; I just sharpened them until there was nothing left. No one had them here in the states, not even Oregon, and Stiga kept telling me I had to talk to Bolens, who said they no longer supported the machine, have a nice day.

I was going to try modifying other blades but eventually I gave it to some neighborhood kids to make a go cart.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.