Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at the Cub Cadet 526 SWE.

Can't get over my dislike of their chute control. This same chute control is used on a number of Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, and MTD products.

It is the large joystick that fore and aft movement lowers and raises the chute, and after pressing the red button, left and right movement swings the chute in that respective direction.

It doesn't seem to work very well even in the showroom. In addition, the chute elevation is only held in place by friction with no positive mechanical stops. I've read complaints about it working its way higher when discharging snow.

Anyone have first hand experience with this system, good or bad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use this system, and honestly i really like it. he cub cadet i have allows for a single lever to maintain auger and wheel drive so that you can adjust the chute as you walk. the up / down positioning will slip, but only if you do not have the bolt tightened to the correct tension (it has a large composit wing nut on it). once you get it at the right tension, it will stay where you put it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information KMac.

I've experimented a little bit with the system at various dealers and retailers and tried tightening up the wing nut.

The chute still seems to move a little too easily when I'm fiddling with it even though at the handle end it is difficult to move as I have the wing nut so tight.

This is not a substitute for real world experience such as yours but it just makes me leery of that feature.

If I may ask how long have you had this snowblower and how much have you used it?

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
From the few joystick controls I have tried including a Toro. I found it makes a big difference on how easy it is based on whether or not the engine was running.

Although I found the engine running on manual crank chutes makes it easier as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had what seems to be the same chute control on a former Craftsman I owned for a very short period of time. I think I had it for maybe 2 or 3 winters, that's it. I sold it in October of 2011.

I can't say I got rid of it for the chute control, however, it was annoying. The up and down control worked just fine, however, moving the chute left to right was not good. It would never stay in place. As I would move forward, blowing the snow at a 90' angle to my left or right, the chute would slowly creep back to center.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would first say that you are best setting up the chute at home, from the box. It is not hard and I have never seen a show room assembly work properly, for any of the stick controlled models. If it is not done correctly, you won't get full rotation when using.

The only thing I've noticed is that the stick is hard to move if you are trying to rotate the chute while the impeller is blasting snow through it. That's understandable though. Trick is to rotate chute without snow blasting through, and, to ensure that after the trigger is released, the stick has seated itself in the console firmly ... There must be some sort of gearing teeth that the trigger grabs and releases from. Mine has crept, but only a few degrees until the stick is seated, never back to center.

So, it takes some paying attention to, but it is VASTLY superior to the hand crank style chute controls. Plus, blowing is not a race so no big deal in my book if I just need to slow down, stop auger, reseat stick to move chute. Whole process takes a couple seconds after familiarized with controls.

I have the 3 stage 26 inch. This machine throws like a champ, and the engine doesn't break a sweat, starts first pull all 3 use occasions this season. Last storm was 6 inches of medium to wet snow... 30 foot toss at full speed easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My chute freely moves left to right and back. It will not stay in left or center position. What mechanisnism controls this?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Been looking at the Cub Cadet 526 SWE.

Can't get over my dislike of their chute control. This same chute control is used on a number of Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, and MTD products.

It is the large joystick that fore and aft movement lowers and raises the chute, and after pressing the red button, left and right movement swings the chute in that respective direction.

It doesn't seem to work very well even in the showroom. In addition, the chute elevation is only held in place by friction with no positive mechanical stops. I've read complaints about it working its way higher when discharging snow.

Anyone have first hand experience with this system, good or bad?

Thanks.
I've had the same experience in the showrooms as you. I'd shop around a bit more and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
947 Posts

This chute control is one of the worst designs in all of snowblowing, if not in all of the OPE world. Sketchy on the showroom floor and cant imagine it gets better with use. Hard to believe its still around.

·
Registered
404 Posts
FWIW, I considered a new Cub at one point, and as a previous poster mentioned, it is best to setup and/or adjust the chute control at home. I did just that to a neighbor's a few years back and it is not bad. Being made by MTD isn't necessarily a disqualifier, but the only thing that changed my mind about getting one is that there is no fuel shut-off valve and no provision or real estate for installing one. To me, this is unacceptable and a justifiable reason why MTD gets criticized on this forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bought one at an auction a few months ago to use with my power shift since it's lighter and easier to maneuver. The thing that is odd to me is that the wheel/auger controls are backwards from most other blowers. But since I bought 4 blowers and 3 mowers for $160 I will deal with it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My chute freely moves left to right and back. It will not stay in left or center position. What mechanisnism controls this?
Look on or underneath the Control chute gear located on the back of the chute. There should be some sort of adjustment spring with a bolt or something similiar.

Check your owner's manual also, there should be a section for adjustment. :smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts