Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys -n- gals , first post in quite some time .While not a full-on restoration , just a spruce-up and re-power , I'm really happy with this blower .
My question is regarding "knobby" style tires opposed to the "turf-style" I have now .
I can't seem to locate any like the more modern knobby found on larger snowblowers and tire chains provide a very "bouncy" ride . Stock size reads : 4.10 / 3.50 X 6
I'd like to hear what others have done in a similar situation .
Thank you & THINK SNOW !

-Gene

The tread style I'd like to mount is below .

·
Registered
669 Posts
I own a machine just like yours with the original engine, plus a smaller 22,000 series. I went from the stock Carlisle turf tires and chains to Carlisle Snow Hogs without chains on both machines and LOVE that I did it. I did not lose any traction throwing snow, and the machines move around infinitely easier in all situations.

I bought mine at Cedar Rapids Tire located in Marion Iowa (I live in Cedar Rapids). I'm certain they ship tires too.

SNOW*HOG*:*CARLISLE*:*SNOW*BLOWER*TIRES*:*TIRES*:...

·
Registered
669 Posts
btw, if the image above is your machine...for a "spruce-up", that's a sweet looking machine! And my two main machines with Hogs are in my avatar.

Reactions: eyebolt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btw, if the image above is your machine...for a "spruce-up", that's a sweet looking machine! And my two main machines with Hogs are in my avatar.
Thank you for the compliment and for the reply !
I cant really see the tires in your avatar , it's a bit too small .
Are these the ones you went with ?
And they fit the stock rims ?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep. 410-6 for the 910962, 410-4 for the 922008. In their description they leave out the middle number, but on the sidewalls it's there for both.

Attached is a larger image.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I got a pair of 4.10 -6 snowhogs from a small MTD that will go on a 10000series soon, and just mounted a pair of 15-5-6 snowhogs I stole from a Ariens ST11526///the look sweet and give the 1973 machine I mounted the on a nice stance. They do increase speed somewhat though

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll be restoring my Dad's 1961 820 with a 3.5 HP engine this summer. As previously posted, someone stole the tire chains from it hile it was in my brother's back yard where he as holding it for me. Since this BobCat still has its original tires from 1961, I'll be trying these tires to see if I can avoid buying tires and chains. Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a pair of 4.10 -6 snowhogs from a small MTD that will go on a 10000series soon, and just mounted a pair of 15-5-6 snowhogs I stole from a Ariens ST11526///the look sweet and give the 1973 machine I mounted the on a nice stance. They do increase speed somewhat though
Very cool ^^
Just ordered them .

Now for the dismount & mount .
Any tips or tricks ?
I always pinch the tube :eek:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a tire shop local do all my snowblower and lawntractor tires. They charged me $20 to dismount the two tires and mount them on the new rims.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mounting...ugh.

My smaller machine has split wheels...ridiculously easy. I wound up taking my 6 inchers like yours to a local shop since the wheels were one piece.

DonyBoy has a video on how to mount tubed tires and it can be done, but my personal opinion is you need two tire irons and a second set of hands to do it. Lube up the beads, lots of muscle.

I didn't have a second set of hands and have bad shoulders and elbows, therefore I knew would tear up my wheels badly in doing it. What was weird was, I bought TR87 bent steel stemmed tubes but the shop said they could never get the stem to properly stick out...whereas I did it myself the prior year easily! So, they wouldn't mount the tires without straight stemmed tubes.

Weird. And they also chipped the brand new paint job I had just performed (I expected it and they warned me it would happen). I wound up after they were done cleaning them off thoroughly to get the leftover surface grease/soap, then taping them off, and re-painting the edges they chipped. Turned out OK - just extra work.

Hopefully, I'll never have to repeat this process. I wound up tires/tubes/mounting to about $80. Well worth it really in the end, the improvement. I hated pushing around those chained turf tires when the machine wasn't running.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My advice: Go with the Carlisle "X-Trac and not the Snow Hog. The snow hogs make the machine bounce and hop where the X-Trac's do not. There is a big difference between the two tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update this .
Got my first chance to run this antique with the Snow Hogs on and It's incredible !!!
Thanks all who recommended these awesome tires .
Feels like a brand new machine !!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@Digger,

Wanted to say, your machine in the beginning of this thread looks great !!!

The SnowHogs work very well, as I used to have them on all my machines, and you will enjoy them. But after a few years, I wore some out, and replaced them with these.....

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-X-Trac-Lawn-Garden-Tire/dp/B06XPV3XVZ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=xtrac+13+x+4.00+x6&qid=1573692234&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I also put these XTrac on my machines I acquired this past summer, which had the turf lawn tire on them. XTrac are the way to go moving forward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts