Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new, thanks to Scott's Website I was able to find this great site. Basically in Winter when I'm laid off from paving I shovel this year I decided to get into the snow blowing business and do everything on my own. Got my first Ariens last year it was a friends grandfathers 1968 6 HP Deluxe. Works great everything original but when I pull the chord every time it gets stuck half way on the first pull and then the second pull is fine and it always starts on that second pull. I later Purchased a 1973 8 HP Ariens Deluxe, chord was replaced on it at some point and numerous other things and runs great so I use this as my main machine. I have a 1974 6 HPD also that some guy considered "Junk" That will be a summer restore project which I will film and put on here, but currently use it as a parts machines. I would like to keep the 68 as original as possible is their a way to fix or adjust the chord? Or possibly swap it with the 74? Sorry if this is a newb question I'm used to working on Mack's lol.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
A shot of WD or PB blaster on the recoil's center might help. Or, you can tighten the spring one turn by 1) Remove Recoil. 2) Pull rope all the way out. 3) Clamp recoil spool with vicegrips. 4) Cut knot on recoil rope and remove it. 5)while holding recoil spool, remove vicegrips, and turn the spool 1 revolution tighter. 6) clamp spool with vicegrips, thread rope back through, and tie a new knot. Done!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright def trying some blaster at the recoil center. On the way to the shop now for something else. I put MMO in the spark plug hole when I first got the machine but I am going to do it again today, do some open pulls. Good Ideas guys, if I have to I'll try tightening the spring? I'm just worried by the word tightening because the thing feels pretty **** tight already haha but I can always give it a shot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helped... sometimes lol. Once and a while now I'm getting first good pulls, but now if I don't get it started in that first good pull then it gets stuck. Didn't try cutting the knot yet though. Maybe something inside the engine?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Helped... sometimes lol. Once and a while now I'm getting first good pulls, but now if I don't get it started in that first good pull then it gets stuck. Didn't try cutting the knot yet though. Maybe something inside the engine?
not exactly the same as your engine but similar concept of how to tighten that spring

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
now if I don't get it started in that first good pull then it gets stuck.
After it gets stuck, how do you free it up to try another pull? Is it the rope being pulled out and won't wind back up or is the recoil binding and won't allow the rope to be pulled out? Does your motor have electric start and if so, does the engine crank over or does it lock up also?

Will the engine turn over easily with the spark plug removed and using the pull starter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grunt the recoil is fine it won't let me pull the chord out, at least the first pull. That's the first pull of every time i try to start, so let's say that good second pull that goes all the way through if it doesn't start then I am going to get stuck half way on the next first pull. It's just an annoying pain in the ass. Been out snowblowing the last two days so I'm going to watch these videos and see if it helps,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah none of this helped, to be honest I have TO much recoil. Like that first half pull i get the machine rips the chord out of my hand and sucks it right back in. Maybe just a brand new rope and recoil? Or can this be a problem inside the engine.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah none of this helped, to be honest I have TO much recoil. Like that first half pull i get the machine rips the chord out of my hand and sucks it right back in. Maybe just a brand new rope and recoil? Or can this be a problem inside the engine.
You might need to get the valves adjusted. Don't know what engine you have in there, but to much valve clearance can cause the engine to be really hard to start because the valves don't open enough to release compression fast enough for you to pull it through.

Just for laughs, next time you start it, leave the throttle lever down so the spark is disabled, then pull the cord slow and easy till you hit the resistance (compression) and then add pressure until you get by the compression stroke, then stop. Turn on the throttle, which will connect the spark circuit, then try pulling it fast and hard, which might give enough momentum to go thru the exhaust stroke and get you to the next ignition stroke while leaving your arm and fingers still attached to your body. See if that helps.

I just had to adjust the valves my Briggs OHV engine for that reason, but its a whole lot easier on an OHV engine than it is on a L head.

You MIGHT want to check the key on your flywheel as well. If the key is partly sheared, that would cause a timing problem and your mention of the thing kicking back when you are trying to start it might indicate a timing problem. Does the engine run OK once you get it started, like no backfiring or kind of "blah" performance? While your in there, make sure the magneto is nice and tight and check the points for wear and gap if you have them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try that today for sure, and check the timing and magneto. I have an electric starter on it but I never use them I basically always hand start. Adding Impeller Paddle Kits to my machines today too. At least one of them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm going to try that today for sure, and check the timing and magneto. I have an electric starter on it but I never use them I basically always hand start. Adding Impeller Paddle Kits to my machines today too. At least one of them.
Maybe try pulling the recoil with spark plug out to circumvent the compression and see how just the recoil works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts