Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up this machine, worked in the garage this morning. Took carb off cleaned it as best I could put it all back together with a little squirt of starter fluid, she fired right up. Decent amount of smoke at first turned into just enough you could see the engine breathing smoke. Let it run for maybe 3 minutes. Turned it off. Wiped off the right side of the bucket. It has oil on it from exhaust I’m guessing. Let it sit for a few then did it again.

This is after I wiped it off once and then ran it a second time for a few more minutes. I’ve watched a few videos to know that this one seems to run a tad dirty with the smoke and oil. I have not changed the oil in it yet nor the spark plug. Wondering what I can do to clean things up a hair. Wish I knew how to get a video of it running from my messages on iPad to share on here but I can’t figure out how to make that work.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
If this machine is a 2 stroke, there is no oil to change, the engine is lubed by your fuel/oil mix.

You should check the plug for fouling, clean and gap the plug before you go any further.

If the previous owner had added some oil down the spark plug hole before storage, you can get some excessive oil spray out of the muffler for a short time when starting it for the first time. It should clear up after 5 minutes of run time. The 2 stroke engines will smoke a little, that is normal, excessive smoke is usually caused by too much oil in your gas mixture.
Is the recommended mix 50:1 for these machines? Are you sure that is how your gas/oil is mixed? If you have way too much oil in the mixture, it could cause issues with starting and maybe even cause oil residue out of the muffler?
Confirm you have the right mix ratio (if not drain fuel system and fill with fresh gas and correct mix ratio). I would clean the oil off the machine and let it run for 5 - 10 minutes to see if it clears up.

I have never seen one of these 2 stroke, 2 stage Toros in person, they are quite rare, although I see the occasional one for sale online.
I think they are interesting machines and some on here say they perform very well.

I do have an 1983 Toro 2 stroke Power Shovel, that is also quite rare (only made from 83 -85).

20200308_122005.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I’d go give it one more go. Fired it up, super easy. Smoking spitting but a lot less. I noticed oil almost dripping out of the exhaust tip and running down the corner of the muffler. Took the 2 bolts out holding the muffler on, cleaned it all up. Found a triangle plate and figured it out it was supposed to go between muffler and engine, so I put it back together correctly. Started it up and not long I noticed this.

Leak coming from the middle seem in the muffler and more coming out the exhaust tip. Not sure if this helps anyone figure out why it’s smoking or not. Also not sure what I need to do to get rid of the leaks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
so as Ziggy asked, is it a 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine? If 2-stroke did you check what he mentioned? If 4-stroke, did you check the oil level?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the 2 stroke version. And yes I am confident in my gas mixture, not so confident in the gas it had in it prior to me that I’m sure I’m going to burning for a little while. The smoke may and pry will go away over time. I’m not sure why or how oil found a way to leak out that seem in the muffler and is spitting out the exhaust tip though. That seems like excessive oil.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If it is a 2 stroke, then it is probably flooded with fuel (excessive fuel). When my gas string trimmer was flooded with fuel, it did the same thing. Gasoline + carbon from the exhaust looks just like oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,336 Posts
Two-strokes can blow junk for a while if they've been sitting. When I fire up my 360cc two-stroke Suzuki Jimny after it's sat it's a very efficient and thorough mosquito killer.

Clean and gap the plug and run it for a bit, see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Yup, and if the carb is adjustable, make sure that you are not too rich. If so, proper combustion temps will not be reached, and a lot more oil will be blown through as opposed to burned off.

And, as others have noted, if the case was "loaded up" with oil when it came to you, it will take a bit of running for the fresh correct fuel to flush the old oil through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like I just need to put more of my gas in it and keep running it when I’m in the garage and with any luck it just needs run and smoke and the spitting will correct itself. Who knows how long it sat before I came a long. It’s possible there is some oil build up from sitting for years that just need burnt up and worked through the system now that it’s running again. Someone said what I thought was oil coming out may be a gas and carbon mixture and that’s completely possible too. As for carb adjustment, I don’t see anywhere to adjust anything. It’s a black plastic car with one spot for throttle linkage to connect and o e spot for idle spring and that’s all I see. I’m not seeing the typical screw on top or needle on bottom to adjust idle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best pic I can get of top of carburetor.

I did just notice on the bottom half of the cadb a green ring. I guess I didn’t make the screws right enough when I had it apart and put back together. Going to have to take that apart and tighten. Getting fuel leakage from somewhere. Possibly incoming gas line.

·
Super Moderator
1,336 Posts
Yeah ok... maybe not. Pulled up a few images of the carb elsewhere and I don't see any adjustment screws. May be 'nannied' non-adjustable to save the planet.

There may be an adjustable replacement carb available...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I’m just going to make an effort to run it for 5 minutes or more a couple nights this week, maybe more and see if it works itself out. I’m guessing it’s just going to take a little bit. Probably been sitting for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The 726-TE is Toro model number 38611. The motor is a Briggs & Stratton 2-cycle model 084000 and the original carb part number is 801255 that seems to be replaced by a metal bowl carb with part number 801396.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This might help:

Give the carb a good clean and make sure you dont over do it with the oil in the gas.
I remember from my 2-stroke moped days that a little too rich fuel mix caused oil to be spitting out from the exhaust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts