Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited an older 824 with a house I bought - model 924118-8524. I believe it is a mid to late 90s vintage. It has worked well so far this winter, but the last couple of times has had some trouble when first started. The first symptom that I noticed is that moving the shift lever is a fair amount stiffer than it had been previously. The more troubling symptom is that when first started, the unit would not move in any gear. After a few minutes warmup, everything was fine and all worked well for the remainder of the driveway.

I do have the user's manual and the traction drive clutch was adjusted to spec in the fall, and I have put maybe 8 hours on the unit since then. Any hints as to what to look at? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
most likely the disc the friction disk contacts is not fully releasing common issue
If after it warms up it works fine thats prolly your issue
if you put it in the service position remove bottom cover and squeeze the handle you can watch and see it
try and free it up with a prybar do this very easy you dont want to break it
it needs some lube on it but its tuff to get to it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
951 Posts
Pull the bottom cover, inspect, and lubricate as per thr mfg's instructions for a start. Then see what (if) problems remain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was warmer when I opened up the bottom cover, and everything was working fine - the drive plate was moving on the spindle as it should. The only thing I can figure is that some moisture made it in there and was freezing the drive plate to the spindle, and once it warmed up all was well. The manual did not say to lube that area but I gave a light spritz of WD-40 to the spindle, with the clutch engaged to create a small gap. Hopefully that will keep water out of there, or at least help. I lubed everything else per the manual, and readjusted the shifter. It seemed to be working more smoothly afterwards.

One issue I did have is that one of the shear pins came out easily, but the other one would not budge. I could pound it in a little, and then it stuck. I tried turning the head end to free it up, and spun the bolt head off. I then tried to drive it out towards the threaded end, but it would not move even with some pretty good whacks with a hammer. I didn't want to hit it too hard and break something. I figure it will still do its job end shear, if needed, as I could see the augur and shaft moving independently. If it does shear, then maybe I will be able to drive it out. Or I may try drilling it out, come spring. Other suggestions welcome!

Flymo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
The shear bolt may be bent and preventing the holes in shaft and auger tube from aligning. What worked for me was to bend the threaded end of shear bolt until it fatigued and broke. Usually does not take much to break. You can then hammer the remaining bolt out fairly easily.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top