Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a new homeowner looking to invest in snowblower. I've been doing a lot of reading and research and I've basically narrowed it down to the PowerMax 826 OXE and the SnowMaster 824 QXE. I live in the suburbs near Boston where I believe we average over 50". Seems like everyone loves the Snowmaster and I was leaning towards that one, but I'm worried I'm going to need a 2 stage for my area. They are priced almost the same, so price is irrelevant to me. Would love to see what you guys thought. Thanks.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Have you looked at them in person??????????? That is really the only way to get a feel of them. Other wise it sounds like you have made up your mind. where are you planning on getting said machine???????? Anyhoo, ALOHA from the Paradise City.:smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
You definitely need a 2 stage. The Powermax 826 OXE has been discontinued, you'd be better off with the Ariens ST24LE 254cc or the Cub Cadet 3x28 357cc. With the Ariens you are putting the same HP into 24" instead of 26" so it will be more powerful.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
The snow master has exceeded many expectations. You are in a tough location though. I think the general concensus has been that the snowmaster is great for snow amounts up to 9-10 inches. Two stage machines might be better suited to the Boston area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I haven't look at it in person yet but definitely something I was planning to do. I plan to pick it up at Home Depot and that's only because I have a bunch of credit and gcs I need to use. That's also part of the reason I narrowed it down to these two machines. Looks like general consensus is 2 stage is the way to go. The Ariens Deluxe 28 was also one I was considering. Thank you for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm pretty confident that the Snowmaster would be enough for you in Boston, but I'm in the Midwest, not the Northeast, so trust your own experience in your area. My lower-powered Snowmaster 724 has outperformed all of my neighbors' two stage machines handily, so I'm quite sure the 824 would be more than enough.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it depends on the average depth of your storms. If the great majority are a foot or less the Snowmaster will be fine and faster than a 2 stage. If most are 1-->1.5 feet then the 2 stage may be better....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
2 Stage all the way ! But, I have never run a single-stage. I guess my decision would be based upon how much show you get at the EOD from the plow. Any snowblower can do a foot of regular snow, but it takes a "man" do handle the EOD stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In addition to the EOD issues you should also consider possible drifting problems on your property. Personally I would lean towards a 2 stage blower. A 2 stage blower is better at handling EOD and potential drifting issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unlike Midwest powder Boston snow is generally wet in addition to being deep. 2 stage blower all the way for New England area snow.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You definitely need a 2 stage. The Powermax 826 OXE has been discontinued, you'd be better off with the Ariens ST24LE 254cc or the Cub Cadet 3x28 357cc. With the Ariens you are putting the same HP into 24" instead of 26" so it will be more powerful.
The 826 OXE has not been discontinued and hand down I would never tell any one here to buy a cub cadet blower. As an owner of a 926 OXE hd ( dicontinued) toro does not need the high cc engines that the mtd's need as mine is an absolute monster with only the 265cc in it.
I say get the 826 OXE and if you go to a dealer you can get the 826 OXE HD but it will cost you more but you get bigger tire's and stronger auger gear box.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The 826 OXE has not been discontinued

I say get the 826 OXE and if you go to a dealer you can get the 826 OXE HD but it will cost you more but you get bigger tire's and stronger auger gear box.
I Googled 826 OXE and went to SnowBlowersDirect and it said it was discontinued. Checked now, same. I'm now thinking maybe the discontinued is by SnowBlowersDirect and not the manufacturer.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I Googled 826 OXE and went to SnowBlowersDirect and it said it was discontinued. Checked now, same. I'm now thinking maybe the discontinued is by SnowBlowersDirect and not the manufacturer.
Well now that explains everything. just checked TORO'S hot sheets 1400 bucks plus tax shipping and handling and whatever else there is nowdays. maybe a gas guzzler tax.:tongue4::tongue4:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ya home depot sells OXE for $999. A lot of on line dealers are out of them as well as 826 hd.
I for got to mention for extra you pay for the hd you get a taller bucket and bigger auger for those bigger storms we get here in MA.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Home depot has the 724 QXE on sale for $699 now. Its $160 LESS the the 824 which is the exact same blower with one more hp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
snowmaster.. two stagers are not needed for 90% of areas including yours
I'll second this and add that, when you're comparing a true 2-stage to the SnowMaster, they're apples and oranges. One isn't necessarily better, but they both serve legitimate purposes and are good machines. I've got a SnowMaster now. My old 2-stager was an Ariens, not a Toro, and it did what it was supposed to do. But that thing was cumbersome in tight spots and mostly overkill in snows less than 8 inches. The SnowMaster is great for 95% of all work. Where it suffices, but doesn't excel, is in frozen, chunky, dense icy stuff at the end of the driveway. The SnowMaster doesn't have a serrated auger that grinds at low RPM and high torque. But it does have plenty of power and can clear snow really quickly.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
We got our first shipment of Toro snowblowers several weeks ago. So far the 8 OXE models are sold. Out of Snowmaster models 2 8QXE and one 7QXE have been sold. Including a leftover model. If it were me I would go with the larger model 8QXE. It’s slightly bigger but still compact. The personal pace system is nice. It appears you like the compactness of the QXE models over larger OXE models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unlike Midwest powder Boston snow is generally wet in addition to being deep. 2 stage blower all the way for New England area snow.
FYI: I'm just north of Milwaukee, and we definitely get some wet snow. We'll frequently get lake effect snow, though typically not as deep. The storm that pushed me to buy my Snowmaster was a solid foot of heavy wet snow. The Snowmaster had no issues.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts