Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this older ariens twin twin stick . After reading the ariens 60's 70's history pages it appears that this machine might be an ugly duckling as it has 10,000 style teardrop bucket and has different model and serial numbers on it. I wonder if this machine was assembled at factory or at dealer since numbers are different. Im guessing year is 78 or 79.

Bucket is 924028 sn 023602
tractor is 924026 sn 016596

tec motor hm80-155128C sn 6216D

Machine seems to have been well cared for I purchased it runningon ebay and did some work . Ended up putting new carb on it as lead ball plugs were mia in carb. Had to free up differntial lock knob, locktight loose starter bolts. friction disk look great. I lubed and adjusted drive chains. Lubed auger shafts which were not seized on shaft. adjusted skids and scraper, changed gearbox oil. Paint appears to be all origianl

I really like the differential feature make it very easy to move. Never used one with a diff before. only way Id ever want it now.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1977 was a good year. I've used machine once with wet snow and worked ok. I thought top rpm was a bit low maybe due to gov spring being old. I read that these tecs like to throw rods if over revved. What rpm do you recommend is a good compromise for power and longevity.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Looks good!

I've had to scrounge parts from several machines to have a twin-stick with the teardrop bucket. Add a taller chute and an impeller kit and that thing will be in business for years to come.

I'd also invest in newer tires like the Snow Hogs or X-tracs (or chains, even).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the snow we get here in chicagoland and my small driveway its over kill . I'll probably sell this machine and go back to using my toro 2000e suzuki

·
Registered
669 Posts
Usually it's 3600 rpm from what I understand.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the tec sn is really when it was made . So all engines made on that day and line have the same sn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice looking machine! Very similar to my 924016 which has the same 8hp tractor and a 32" teardrop bucket. I'd strongly recommend chains or new tires with a more aggressive tread. With the differential unlocked it is a LOT easier to turn the machine around at the end of the driveway but with the stock turf tires if one wheel slips it can't even climb up the sloped curb. Also highly recommend a rubber impeller kit as it makes it throw the snow so much better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great machine you have there!
I know about these Tec's throwing rods,they run smoother than a Briggs,one time I changed to oil in a push mower,started it up after making sure it had enough oil in it ,left it warmup & bam it slowy came to a stop because of a thrown rod.I now have 2)32" 924044 w/Tec's on them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts