Snowblower Forum banner

8hp Troy-Bilt chipper/vac

14K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  Chevy88 
#1 ·
Happy Monday everyone. Picked this up over the weekend. Seems to be in pretty good shape, I assume we’ll taken care of. Only thing I see missing is the battery for electric start. My question is, any specific battery, or just any lawn and garden tractor battery will suffice? Pull starting I’m told is very very difficult. Mostly because the gas tank is below the engine so you have to work to gas going uphill. I noticed that gas cap is wrong also. Not sure if it’s supposed to be vented or not. I was going to try hooking it up to my battery tender to see if I could boost start it using the key, but I’m nervous as to what setting to try. Don’t want to give it too much juice. I’ve seen a few videos of this machine and the 8hp seems to be a better machine than the slightly smaller 5hp version. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

See less See more
#39 ·
Happy Monday everyone. Picked this up over the weekend. Seems to be in pretty good shape, I assume we’ll taken care of. Only thing I see missing is the battery for electric start. My question is, any specific battery, or just any lawn and garden tractor battery will suffice? Pull starting I’m told is very very difficult. Mostly because the gas tank is below the engine so you have to work to gas going uphill. I noticed that gas cap is wrong also. Not sure if it’s supposed to be vented or not. I was going to try hooking it up to my battery tender to see if I could boost start it using the key, but I’m nervous as to what setting to try. Don’t want to give it too much juice. I’ve seen a few videos of this machine and the 8hp seems to be a better machine than the slightly smaller 5hp version. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thank you! View attachment 190269 I’m working to replace the drive belt on mine but the battery is a sealed rechargeable distributed by ENERGY battery group inc. Atlanta GA 888 823 0954

#40 · (Edited)
As the original post in this thread was a question regarding batteries, I thought I would help with some information.

My father originally purchased the chipper now in my possession back in 1999 directly from the factory store in Troy, NY. He had it shipped to his home. I just happened to pull the battery this past week to store it for the winter. As far as I know, the battery is original. It is a Rocket ES 18-12. A sealed rechargeable battery produced by Global & Yuasa Battery Company Limited in Korea. It is a 12 Volt, 18 Amp Hours. Hope this helps.

Rectangle Font Box Soil Wood

#41 ·
Been working on my chipped for 2 hours now. Got a problem I haven’t been able to solve. For the longest time it wouldn’t start without help. Couldn’t get the carb off. I was able to take the bowl off while on the machine and blow cleaner through all the jets. It ran. But for some reason I only have full throttle or off. Found a tiny drop of fluid on a hose one time I took it back apart and thought it was gas that had come from the bowl bolt. Tried to tighten it and stripped it. Now I have a real problem. I can’t get the carb off even to order a brand new one. And has comes out around the o-ring when I pull the rope to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.