Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can help me out here. I'm working on getting an older Ariens going which I've managed to do except for one thing.

I have a '92 Ariens ST824 with the HMSK 80 engine.

The engine wouldn't start and the old carb was pretty nasty from sitting so I opted to replace it.
I replaced the carb with a new OEM Tecumseh carb (after trying a few chinese knockoffs from Amazon).

After installing the new carb, it fired right up.....but when I went to adjust the throttle, the lever would go up and down but not adjust the engine rpms. It would stay at a high rev.

I never touched the governor arm or played with throttle control assembly and it seems to be in right position from the videos online I've looked at.

When I had a chinese carb on the throttle lever worked fine (I replaced the chinese carbs as it kept surging and backfiring so I decided to go with OEM and the chinese carb wouldn't adjust correctly).

Any ideas as why the throttle arm doesn't adjust the rpms if everything is connected and its in the right position?

I hope I explained that clearly?

Any help.l would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Many of us use Chinese carburetors without a problem, some first clean the carb before putting on a Chinese carb, the latter is me but I also own an ultrasonic cleaner.

Best to post several pictures of the linkage, carb, governor, throttle lever, and preferable to post a video.

Welcome to SBF! Lot of smart people on here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of us use Chinese carburetors without a problem, some first clean the carb before putting on a Chinese carb, the latter is me but I also own an ultrasonic cleaner.

Best to post several pictures of the linkage, carb, governor, throttle lever, and preferable to post a video.

Welcome to SBF! Lot of smart people on here.
Thank you very much, I'll take a video first thing in the morning and post it.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
did you get the carb with the adjustable main jet? could have possibly need to adjust the mixture with the amazon carb. also if you have the carb off again in the future you should pop the vent cover off and check the valve lash. the intake will likely be fine but there is a possibility that there is no exhaust valve clearance which could contribute to the amazon carb backfiring.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I agree with 1132le. I once had the handle mechanism upside down. It all moved but no speed adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts