Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm tired of buying 35$ bottles of oil to the gearbox, and wonder, what csn be done to stop leak without opening the gearbox? 00grease or is there a way to make it stop leaking? My thought is that you can put some stuff/chemicals ina car engine to stop leaks in water and oil, would this work on the leaky bladder of this gearbox? The Norwegian kr is low in value so everything with a dollar sign is crazy expensive nowadays. Input?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I agree, do the seals. Of course if you need it tonight because it's snowing try the 00.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
00 has worked for me in the past on More than one occasion. It's an inexpensive option that may solve your Problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My thought is that you can put some stuff/chemicals ina car engine to stop leaks in water and oil, would this work on the leaky bladder of this gearbox?
i don't really believe in using products like that, call me old school,

even if a product like that does work, it is still only putting a band aid on it,

something like that should only be considered as a temporary solution, in an urgent situation,

think of it like being those cans of sealant that you spray into a car tire when you get a puncture,

that fix is only intended to get you on your way, to a safe location, then get the tire fixed or replaced properly,

i prefer to do things properly, take it apart and replace what is nessessary

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Post the pics when you get to those seals if you can.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
i don't really believe in using products like that, call me old school,

even if a product like that does work, it is still only putting a band aid on it,

something like that should only be considered as a temporary solution, in an urgent situation,

think of it like being those cans of sealant that you spray into a car tire when you get a puncture,

that fix is only intended to get you on your way, to a safe location, then get the tire fixed or replaced properly,

i prefer to do things properly, take it apart and replace what is nesse
00 has worked for me in the past on More than one occasion. It's an inexpensive option that may solve your Problem.
I have a 10000 series which I used 00 to stop a leak about 5 years Ago which is still working. If you are Anal about repairing it, Disregard My Suggestion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try AT-205. It is what rubber makers use to keep rubber flexible. It does not swell the rubber up like some products do. The reason why it leaked is because, it dried up and wore out unevenly. Once, you rejuvenated that rubber seal ring, it will hold in tight and wear itself out evenly. It takes a few runs to see the result. I tried it and it worked for me. I left it in the gear box to keep the seals flexible. You only replace the seals if they are very old, and leak a lot. I have read similar topics and trust me, even if you replaced those seals, they can leak again in just a few years. There is a chance that you will get old rubbers from the sellers. There you have it. It took a lot of times from me to do research and learned about it. Not all people know about it.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Try AT-205. It is what rubber makers use to keep rubber flexible. It does not swell the rubber up like some products do. The reason why it leaked is because, it dried up and wore out unevenly. Once, you rejuvenated that rubber seal ring, it will hold in tight and wear itself out evenly. It takes a few runs to see the result. I tried it and it worked for me. I left it in the gear box to keep the seals flexible. You only replace the seals if they are very old, and leak a lot. I have read similar topics and trust me, even if you replaced those seals, they can leak again in just a few years. There is a chance that you will get old rubbers from the sellers. There you have it. It took a lot of times from me to do research and learned about it. Not all people know about it.
i have used this several times and it worked every time except once. I also agree with 00 grease suggestion. Have used that on old Honda HS50-55's with leaking seals with success. Had to install grease zerk to pump in grease but so what? took about 10 minutes.

·
Retired Moderator
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome guys. I try both on 2 different makinas:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts