Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! My old 924050 appears to have gearbox issues after many years of great service. Today, the bucket was loading up and, when I shut it down, I noted that I could spin the augers without the impeller shaft rotating. So, I suspect the gearbox is dying/dead. It's the aluminum gearbox. I read elsewhere that attempting to repair the gearbox itself is an exercise in futility? New complete gearbox assemblies are way beyond my budget. Might be able to find a used one but how long might that last? Bottom line... is this older machine worth fixing or should I part it out and buy another used machine? It runs great, has a good amount of surface rust but has been reliable here in NH for the past 9 years of my ownership. I bought it used for $50 at that time and rebuild the carb to get it running. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
If all you need is the brass gear you can get them on ebay or from a member here named Jackmels for around $80. If you need more than that maybe you should look for another parts machine and cobble the 2 together. If it has worked great for you don't give up on it, but at the same time keep an eye on craigslist for something useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions! The shear pins are good. In fact, I just used the machine to clear about 6" of snow from my driveway. The augers rotate until I get into deep or heavy/packed snow, then they stall. So, I suspect the gear is catching until there is a heavier load on it. Not sure I have the skills to take this thing apart to replace the gear and we are right in the middle of multiple heavy storms. Might buy another used machine to keep me going and fix this one at my leisure or sell it as a parts/repairable unit. Thanks again!

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
You should also put up a picture or two of it when asking if you should try to save it or send it to blower heaven.

If it's been good enough in the past getting the job done I'd sure say that unless it's really beat up and rusty it would be worth saving. It's a solid machine. An 824 is a good sized machine for most average driveways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to leave the repair to someone else and bought a used Simplicity 860DLX in excellent condition. Sold the ST824 to a guy who repairs and resells them. He was happy to pay $125 for it and I was happy to get it! Thanks to all for suggestions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts