Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a Bolens 824B earlier this fall cheaply, and I was able to get its 8hp Tecumseh HM80 working with a rebuilt carb. Unfortunately, its frame and right handlebar were rotting to the point where I could not bring myself to use it. It was destined for the parts pile until I found a similar Bolens (824A) with a dead auger gearbox. It also had a different color scheme and the bucket shape was different as well.

As I suspected, I was able to add parts from 2 broken snowblowers to get 1 working snowblower:

Here's the 824A that I picked up today with the bad auger gearbox:

The operation is underway:

Does anyone know which is the older color scheme? As I suspected, the buckets were interchangeable. The red frame even has good axle bushings which is rare. The green frame has good tires/wheels which I'll be tranferring over to the finished unit.

·
Retired Moderator
4,190 Posts
I think the red is older. Most of the MTD era ones are green.

Reactions: db130

·
Registered
31 Posts
db130, you are correct the older ones did have a shorter chute and the tear drop bucket. No hand warmers here, goin' old style!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The novelty of red+green look soon wore off and since the entire bucket assemblies were interchangeable, I figured that the augers+gearbox were likely the same as well.

All the parts came off easily on the red one, I was able to salvage every part.

Practically nothing came off easily on the green one, I ended up destroying the impeller pulley and the impeller bearing to remove them from the shaft.

The end result is pretty good though.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Looking good i liked the Xmas themed blower though. DB you and I must have been fighting the same problem, on the same machine, at the same time frame. Im working on my bucket right now after striping all the parts off it. I had to completely destroy my pulley and bearing to get it off. I mean cut off wheel, 3lb sledge, and drill through it. My bucket had some serious surface rust and one auger was rubbing the bucket at some point. Looks like my machine blew snow and everything is in its path. Tractor part is finally done after a lot of axel beating.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Looking good. Your further alond than I am on my Bolens. Did you get new chains, or clean up the old ones? How did you make out with the heated grips. Are they working? Is you machine a permanent lock axel? Mine is and I'm trying to think of an easy effective way to make it easier to maneuver when not needing the locked diff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
After reading posts from other Bolens owners who added LED lighting that did not experience flickering (due to our snowblowers having an in-line rectifier in the wiring harness for the factory light circuit), I decided to follow suit. I went with a 10W single CREE spot beam design as I also own a CREE flashlight and have always been impressed by the flashlight's light output).

No flickering and its output is pretty consistent even when the engine is idling.

It's a nice white light with a color temperature of 6000k and the rated output is 900 lumens.

Finished up the snowblower by adding the $5 heated grips on ebay:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FYI... the CREE headlight and the heated grips died two weeks after my post on 12/31/2017. I replaced the headlight with a spare 36W halogen headlight to finish out the 2017-2018 season.

I decided to give this snowblower some upgrades since it is my primary snowblower. Here are the new items for 2018-2019 season:

1) newer gas tank
2) new fuel valve
3) newer carb cover with integrated safety key
4) newer gas tank brackets
5) brand new Carlisle Snow Hog tires
6) oil change
7) new spark plug
8) new aftermarket carb
9) newer dipstick & dipstick tube
10) new skid shoes

Still starts on the first pull. Will Massachusetts get any snow this winter? Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Realized I never posted a pic of the Bolens I was working on at the same time as you, well here it goes. Sold but still going strong in Exeter RI

Attachments

Reactions: db130

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
I was reading this and noted multiple references to having issues getting the pulley off the auger. Here's a tip I stole from someone else. Look into getting a bearing puller like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/Bearing-Separator-and-Puller-Set-62593.html
Measure the pulley for holes after insuring it will fit between the pulley and housing. Drill 2 holes through the pulley, I then use some threaded rod so it doesn't take as big of holes and bolt the puller together. Use plenty of penetrating oil or acetone/atf mix and put tension on it. a few careful whacks from a big hammer and I've gotten several pulleys off that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 on the red
Looking good. Your further alond than I am on my Bolens. Did you get new chains, or clean up the old ones? How did you make out with the heated grips. Are they working? Is you machine a permanent lock axel? Mine is and I'm trying to think of an easy effective way to make it easier to maneuver when not needing the locked diff.
Maby try a oxigen and acetine torch, dont trust my spelling though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts