Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I visited the Ariens folks in Brillion, Wisconsin on Friday, October 30, and was treated to a visit to the Ariens/Gravely Museum. They house a treasure trove of vintage machines from the past that significant to the history of the company. I took a few pictures while there to show everyone that this is a great place to visit if you are a fan of Ariens and Gravely machinery or even if you just plain enjoy seeing vintage outdoor power equipment that has been restored to new condition displayed beautifully for your admiration. The museum is located in the building that was one of their original manufacturing plants. It is obvious that Ariens is proud of their heritage and go to great lengths to preserve it.

Trac-Team with all the various attachments:

Two wheeled Ariens tractors and tillers. This is where Ariens got its start:

Walk behind mowers and garden tractors in the background:

Single stage snow throwers and their snowmobiles:

Their One millionth snowblower. The one to the right of it was built in 1960:

Their two millionth snowblower. I kind of like the chrome plated bits.

Their three millionth snowblower:

A couple Gravely tractors:

A few Gravely two wheeled tractors and some of their accessory attachments:

Now this part will really make you drool. This is what they call their "bone yard". It's vintage machinery that they have acquired and is awaiting restoration. There is a team of retired Ariens employees who do the restoration work, and give the tours of the museum. I could have spent hours looking around in here.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
just think of all the NLA parts that are there. and no one can get there hands on the loot.:facepalm_zpsdj194qh:facepalm_zpsdj194qh:facepalm_zpsdj194qh:facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kidding! You see that walk behind on the middle shelf on the right in the bone yard? I picked one very much like that at a Salvation Army As Is store a few years ago for $5.00, cleaned it up, replaced some parts, tuned it up and flipped it to a young couple who had just bought their first house with a yard who needed a lawn mower. And I didn't even keep a picture of it! I had only known then what I know now.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
that one all the way to the left in the fourth picture is actually a compact 2 stage called the metro, powered by a 2 stroke tecumseh engine with plastic augers and impeller. the bucket is also plastic. these are extremely brittle(i know from one i got on trash day) but are a neat design and very rare

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great post and pics, looks like you had a nice inside tour and enjoyed yourself.
I did enjoy the visit. The museum is on my list of places to visit again someday.

that one all the way to the left in the fourth picture is actually a compact 2 stage called the metro, powered by a 2 stroke tecumseh engine with plastic augers and impeller. the bucket is also plastic. these are extremely brittle(i know from one i got on trash day) but are a neat design and very rare
It was a very unique looking thing for sure. I took a little bit of time to look at it because you could see that it had a gear box out front and the auger was all a material like the paddles that are used on single stages.

That is really cool. Have to respect a company that preserves its heritage like that.
Yes you do, and almost every person I spoke with mentioned the strong family ties of the Ariens family.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That's really cool! Did you have a chance to meet Mary-Lyn?

Apart from the USA and Can, does Ariens sell elsewhere around the globe?

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts

and where is kiss 4a frog

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did get to meet Mary Lyn. She happened to be in Brillion and I was lucky enough to be able to schedule my visit while she was there. She actually is based in Nebraska.

Ariens is a global company. If you poke around at the bottom of their web site, you should see refrrence to Ariens Companies. There were Zero Turns there at the factory awaiting packing for shipment to Austrailia.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Wow, great photos! thanks for the report Bruce! :)
wish I could have made it..maybe next time..

Did you happen to get any closer photos of the Ariens Manorway in the background of this photo?

(Its the furthest one poking its nose out on the left side of the column)..
Its an early Ariens garden tractor..late 60's/early 70's..
I would love to find one to restore.
thanks,
Scot

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought of you as I was going on the tour because I knew you would have enjoyed it. In fact, there was a fellow who came out and spoke with me briefly while going through the museum, I think his name was Nick. I mentioned your screen name and from that he knew of your blog about the snowblower lineage.

So far as the Manorary, sorry I didn't Scot. We were getting short on time when I strolled around and took these pictures. I didn't really get to talking too much about the garden tractors, though Rob Wittl did mention that there is a line of new ones in the works, and they have re-introduced the two wheeled tractor to the Gravely line with various attachments.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I really didn't know that much about the Ariens company before my visit, so I did a little bit of research by casually looking at their web site before heading to Brillion for the visit. I was really quite surprised to learn that they are a huge global company, with assets worldwide. For instance, I had no idea that the replacement parts carrying the Sten brand name is part of the Ariens network of companies. This video showcases the company nicely.

Brands: Sno-Thro, Gravely, Sno-Tek, Parker, Countax, Westwood - Ariens Company

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Wow, great photos! thanks for the report Bruce! :)
wish I could have made it..maybe next time..

Did you happen to get any closer photos of the Ariens Manorway in the background of this photo?

(Its the furthest one poking its nose out on the left side of the column)..
Its an early Ariens garden tractor..late 60's/early 70's..
I would love to find one to restore.
thanks,
Scot
I grew up on one of those Manorway's. Some where at my folks house, there is a photo of it brand new pulling a float or trailer for the local town celebration.

·
Registered
595 Posts
and they have re-introduced the two wheeled tractor to the Gravely line with various attachments.

... and the list price is $6,225 !

Not as bad as a couple years ago when Gravely released the new "RAPID" walk behind tractor. That was priced at $7,500 and when ordered with a couple attachments like a snowblower and mower, you could hit 10 grand very quickly.

Around here, if you're patient, you can find a nice 16hp twin vanguard powered tractor with a blower, snow blade and mower deck for $800 to $1,200 and have a machine that will last you for 50 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts