Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Vermont this past summer and am in the market for a snow blower. I have about a 150ft gravel driveway. Ideally I want to buy an electric snow blower in the future when there is one with enough battery to be able to do my whole drive. In the meantime I have been trying to find a cheap used one that could hold me over a few years. I found someone on facebook marketplace advertising a yard machines mtd 8.5hp/26” snow blower for $175. It looks pretty rusted out. Not sure whether this is a decent deal or just throwing my money away. The ad says it runs great. I know nothing about snow blowers so would appreciate other’s opinions. I attached some photos of it.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Vehicle Wood
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Road surface
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
That's pretty rough for an MTD with an asking price of 175 ..... Just looking at it, I would say it probably needs bushings, bearings, scraper bar, some poly skids, and I see one side of the bucket is caved in .......

To bad your not close to CT, ... I have 3 for sale ... A Toro, a Yard Machines and an Ariens....... 250, 275 and 250, respectively. All gone through and working fine .

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
151 Posts
I moved to Vermont this past summer and am in the market for a snow blower. I have about a 150ft gravel driveway. Ideally I want to buy an electric snow blower in the future when there is one with enough battery to be able to do my whole drive. In the meantime I have been trying to find a cheap used one that could hold me over a few years. I found someone on facebook marketplace advertising a yard machines mtd 8.5hp/26” snow blower for $175. It looks pretty rusted out. Not sure whether this is a decent deal or just throwing my money away. The ad says it runs great. I know nothing about snow blowers so would appreciate other’s opinions. I attached some photos of it.

View attachment 180638 View attachment 180639 View attachment 180641
Does it start easy when cold? Does it go forward and reverse as it should? Does the auger and impeller operate without aweful noises?
Hard to be picky for short money. Check the dipstick. Inspect the belts. Check for play in axle and auger bearings.
Others with loads more smarts than me should chime in. Good luck, and read as much as you can here. Really savvy users here.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Move on from that. Too much money.

First look at Ariens, Toro, Simplicity.

You can get great buys on Murray & Noma. I have several.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
yup he is asking too much for that. i would say it is maybe worth $50-100. that thing would likely require some work and money thrown at it to make it last. the rust doesn't look too bad but the bends in the bucket from the cheap skid kind of suck. personally i think it is too small of a machine for what you need anyways. if it was cheap like $50 it would be worth the try but realistically you probably want to be looking for something closer to a 30" or larger for how long of a driveway you have to do. i think i did at least 150ft with a 28" blower for my aunt once and it sucked. i think it took at least an hour or maybe more because you have to go slow and not take full width passes if you want to try saving yourself a few passes to clean up anything you may have missed or had spill out on the clean side.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
As others have said, skip this one.
Spend a little more and get one in better condition.
With a snow blower, you need a reliable machine, that will get the job done every time. You don't want to try to shovel a driveway that size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are getting sound advice here. Now is the time to look as the value of the used units will go up as you get closer to winter.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If you don't know much about snowblowers, do a Search under my name for Snowblower Checklist. You'll see how much work and knowledge goes in to bringing a snowblower up to snuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As others have said, skip this one.
Spend a little more and get one in better condition.
With a snow blower, you need a reliable machine, that will get the job done every time. You don't want to try to shovel a driveway that size.
Thanks for the reply. Found a much nicer Toro for sale for 585. Do you think it’s a good deal?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Too much $. That snowblower is at least 16 years old and too much for a flat head Tecumseh.

8hp flat head Tecumseh for 28" is underpowered.

$350 max and preferably $250 max. I'd prefer for you to keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Wow that machine looks in great condition and Toro makes a good machine, but it is at least 15 years old. Price seems a little high, but condition appears like new, depends if you can negotiate a lower price.

My concern would be if the black plastic housing will stand up to spitting out some gravel once in a while and if the 8 HP on a 28" machine is adequate for snow in Vermont. Do you get a lot of wet heavy snow?.

Hopefully someone with one of these machines with the plastic housing will chime in on the durability of the plastic and if the machine is underpowered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow that machine looks in great condition and Toro makes a good machine, but it is at least 15 years old. Price seems a little high, but condition appears like new, depends if you can negotiate a lower price.

My concern would be if the black plastic housing will stand up to spitting out some gravel once in a while and if the 8 HP on a 28" machine is adequate for snow in Vermont. Do you get a lot of wet heavy snow?.

Hopefully someone with one of these machines with the plastic housing will chime in on the durability of the plastic and if the machine is underpowered.

Thanks for the response. I was pretty surprised reading that these models were made 15+ years ago. It looked pretty much brand new in the photos which had me thinking the price was very good. I just moved here so can’t speak much to the consistency of the snow, but I know we do average around 140in per year.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
some people take care of their stuff good or rarely use it at all. the engine can help determine the age for most machines. if it has a OHV engine it was likely made in the last 16 years. if it has a Tecumseh flat head engine like that toro it is likely 16+ years old since they stopped making flat heads around 2005 in favor of the OHV engines. the OHV engines are usually a bit better on fuel

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Seems like if people are worrying about MPG with their snowblower, we are down to the short strokes. There must be other reasons for switching to OHV engines.

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
151 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks quite a bit nicer than your 1st choice. :p For giggles I just checked my area Boston CL for blowers 175 bucks max. There was about a dozen decent looking ones. Ariens, Toro, Deere, and most were 50-70 bucks.
Wow nice, wish the selection around here was like that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts