Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hard pass on the first machine (MTD - Yard Machines), as it needs too much work for the price.

Try to negotiate a lower price on the second machine (Toro). Prices for this model (roughly 2004 vintage) are all over the place and I have seen them go for as low as $300 (Canadian, or roughly $240 US) in good shape, but the one in your post looks very good, was likely well cared for and serviced properly. I would agree with JLawrence08648 on the pricing for that particular machine.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I did a Search in my area, a number $50-$100 older, looking to needing work; $100-$150 same but some nice ones; $200-$250 some really nice looking snowblowers, most were 8hp.

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
151 Posts
why stop at 3 lol. i currently got 7 but 4 of them i probably wouldn't sell. the rest may find new homes once the snow flies lol.
Just wondering, you guys with many machines, are you (still) married? :p

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Sitting on 8 at the moment, just sold number 9, lol, .... but willing to sell a couple more ... I am hanging onto 6 for various reasons ... One was my dads he bought new, one I restored for my wife, before she passed, one is a brand new Cub Cadet I picked up for a song, one is a JD 826, which I gave a total off frame restore this summer, along with a brand new Ariens I picked up with no engine, was a dual shaft, but I converted to a single shaft Tecumseh. Oh, and an old 10M60D Ariens with the slip differential hubs, which I put a new 212 Predator on,,, best zero turn drive system in my opinion.

Yeah, I think everyone needs at least 2 .... :)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Just wondering, you guys with many machines, are you (still) married? :p
hahaha i don't have them all at 1 location. i also forgot about the 1 in the back corner of my sisters place. that is number 8. if you also count the 1 i gave to my aunt for the rescue that i am the only person who uses it it could be considered 9 lol. a few of the machines i picked up with the intention of fixing and flipping to make a few $$. the 4 to keep would be 2 at my place and 2 at my sisters so that both places have a backup machine if needed even tho my sister refuses to use the snowblower. i am hoping next year my sister will trust my nephew to run a snowblower without supervision. i have let him use 1 in the backyard and he is ok with it but i think he could use some more practice running it. i also like having 1 full size machine and 1 smaller machine just so i have 1 portable machine if i ever need it which i have. the 520 usually fits in my suv pretty nicely.

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
151 Posts
hahaha i don't have them all at 1 location. i also forgot about the 1 in the back corner of my sisters place. that is number 8. if you also count the 1 i gave to my aunt for the rescue that i am the only person who uses it it could be considered 9 lol. a few of the machines i picked up with the intention of fixing and flipping to make a few $$. the 4 to keep would be 2 at my place and 2 at my sisters so that both places have a backup machine if needed even tho my sister refuses to use the snowblower. i am hoping next year my sister will trust my nephew to run a snowblower without supervision. i have let him use 1 in the backyard and he is ok with it but i think he could use some more practice running it. i also like having 1 full size machine and 1 smaller machine just so i have 1 portable machine if i ever need it which i have. the 520 usually fits in my suv pretty nicely.
I hope the nephew gets it. Some people just do not take what the machine and the snow give them. no sense for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Found a much nicer Toro for sale for 585.....
I think you are going about this the wrong way. One way to meet your neighbors would be to go talk to them and ask them what machines they use, how many hp, and how wide a swath they clear. Get a feel for what size snowblower you need, based on how many snowfalls you get in your area and how deep they usually are. If you are buying used on a budget, will you have a plan B if the snow blower dies on you when you have 14" of fresh snow and one 24" wide path cleared out to the street?

Once you know what size machine you will need, THEN start looking. In my admittedly limited experience, any used machine will need tuning up. By that I mean replacing auger bearings, maybe tires, maybe a recoil pull rope, whatever the prev. owner never fixed. As mentioned earlier, there is a checklist in another thread for buyers of used machines. You cannot depend on the guy selling it to tell you what is wrong. It's up to you to ferret out its true condition.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Whatever machine you end up with, you'll need long and wide shoes to keep it from digging down into the gravel. The factory shoes are fine for pavement but will turn your machine into a rock thrower on gravel, while simultaneously destroying your machine from all the gravel going through it.

I use ArmorSkids but I believe there are other brands too.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts