Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching snowblowers for a while, ever since I got tired of wrestling with my old Crary Bear Cat two years back. I bought a 1990's vintage Yamaha YS828 to try out a tracked machine, and really liked it. But I wanted something newer, or at least that parts were still being made for, :eek: so I sold the Yammie and continued to search.

I want:

• tracks
  • hydrostatic drive
  • 24" minimum width, 28" is better
  • quality
  • longevity
Currently I'm this >< close to going to the local Honda folks and buying an HS928TA. I also looked long and hard at the comparable Ariens, ST28DLET. I really like the looks and its weird triangulated track, and it has an easy turn feature that might be nice. But two things are stopping me. I keep reading about them not being able to reverse up even a small slope, and complaints that the headlight shines right up in the eyes of the operator. Both of those leave me wondering how well the rest of the machine is engineered.

Those are really the only two models on my list at the moment. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trigger pulled. HS928TA will be delivered the next time the truck is coming out this way. They even threw in some shear bolts. Funny thing happened though. I discussed the purchase with two different dealers; one said the machine had a 2-year warranty, the other said it had a 3-year warranty. And they had a better price. And they offered a discount for cash. Guess which one I went with. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your neighbors will be jealous. I have a 928 tcd these things are a beast. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
on the edge

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats! You will appreciate this tool. I hesitated to jump on a HS928TA but my needs did not justify it (I'm in a urban area, 24 in is more than enough).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just wait until your fire that baby up for it's inaugural snow clearing event. You're going to have a smile from ear to ear when you see that steady stream of snow (also known as the Rooster Tail) discharging 30ft in the air and 45ft in either direction. Awesome machine! Enjoy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been researching snowblowers for a while, ever since I got tired of wrestling with my old Crary Bear Cat two years back. I bought a 1990's vintage Yamaha YS828 to try out a tracked machine, and really liked it. But I wanted something newer, or at least that parts were still being made for, :eek: so I sold the Yammie and continued to search.

I want:

• tracks
  • hydrostatic drive
  • 24" minimum width, 28" is better
  • quality
  • longevity
Currently I'm this >< close to going to the local Honda folks and buying an HS928TA. I also looked long and hard at the comparable Ariens, ST28DLET. I really like the looks and its weird triangulated track, and it has an easy turn feature that might be nice. But two things are stopping me. I keep reading about them not being able to reverse up even a small slope, and complaints that the headlight shines right up in the eyes of the operator. Both of those leave me wondering how well the rest of the machine is engineered.

Those are really the only two models on my list at the moment. Am I missing anything?
I would say if you can afford the Honda 928 I would get that, you won’t be disappointed… as for the headlight problem on the ariens a simple piece of duct tape to shade the upper light from your eyes would work for me but you shouldn’t have to do that for such an expensive machine. Sounds like you got the 928 anyways so you’re good to go! In my opinion the 928 is the perfect size not too big and not too small.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where is the perimeter :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
You are the first person to ask that question in the 5+ years I've been using that location in my online personas. :)

I live in a rural area just off the edge of the east coast megalopolis/suburbia sprawl. I picked up 'the perimeter' from a line in a Doors song, 'Texas Radio and the Big Beat.'
Just wait until your fire that baby up for it's inaugural snow clearing event. You're going to have a smile from ear to ear when you see that steady stream of snow (also known as the Rooster Tail) discharging 30ft in the air and 45ft in either direction. Awesome machine! Enjoy!
Thanks, I hope you're right! To be fair my last machine was a Yamaha YS-828, which threw snow a country mile. I sold it because they're getting hard to find parts for, plus I didn't care for the friction disk drive - it gave me a lot of trouble.

I figure the Honda will be the last snowblower I ever buy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
and now... you can moonlight as a backup snow cannon for your local ski slope! im jealous ;)

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
You are the first person to ask that question in the 5+ years I've been using that location in my online personas. :)

I live in a rural area just off the edge of the east coast megalopolis/suburbia sprawl. I picked up 'the perimeter' from a line in a Doors song, 'Texas Radio and the Big Beat.'
Thanks, I hope you're right! To be fair my last machine was a Yamaha YS-828, which threw snow a country mile. I sold it because they're getting hard to find parts for, plus I didn't care for the friction disk drive - it gave me a lot of trouble.

I figure the Honda will be the last snowblower I ever buy.
never cared for the doors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts