Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a Honda light kit to my HS828 snowblower, works great. However I'd like to add a handlebar on-off switch to turn off the light when I don't need it. I found nice switches on ebay/amazon, but all are two wire. The light has the simple one wire connector so my question is - how do I connect the two wire switch, to my one wire light? Where would the other wire go? Thanks for your help. - Jim

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you are saying the Honda light only has one wire going to it, then it must ground through the metal connections to the frame of the machine. You need to be sure the switch does not tie any of its input/output points to the switch body, otherwise you will short the circuit when you mount the switch to the machine.

Assuming the switch is OK: simply put the switch inline with the wire going to the light. If the switch has two pairs of connectors you can just use one of them. Be sure to use a pair that is connected/disconnected by the switch operation!

|
| wire going to light
|
| switch in
\
| switch out
|
|
O light

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, you said "You need to be sure the switch does not tie any of its input/output points to the switch body, otherwise you will short the circuit when you mount the switch to the machine.". I definately don't want to do that. How can I be sure the switch does not tie the input/output points to the switch body? I was thinking of either one of these two switches:
Universal Handlebar Motorcycle Kill Switch on Off Button Bullet Connector New | eBay

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Where does this light physically attach to the blower?
While it may be convenient to have the light control switch at your fingertips, mounting a simple switch to the light mounting bracket or someplace close to the light would be tidier and not require running two wires up the handlebars.
wdb is correct stating you don't want to inadvertently short it out when selecting off, but...
Most switches isolate the wire terminals from the switch body. I am trying to think of an exception.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I agree with dbert, most toggle switches unless stated for special circuits, would have two wires and are isolated from ground. An exception would be key type single wire ignition switches which are grounded through the case.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm 99.7% certain that eBay switch will do the trick. Just wire it inline with the wire going to the bulb.

As for switches grounding their lugs, please forgive me. I tend to be a bit paranoid. I like to call it 'belt and suspenders', but it's probably OCD. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts