Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Not sure if this was a good idea but I put a little (one ounce) Seafoam into the oil. The oil seems a bit darker now so I guess the Seafoam is doing its job and cleaning out the crud. Should I follow up by changing the oil now - or should I just leave it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
If I were me, I'd use a little seafoam in the oil of an older engine and then change the oil after the seafoam has been run for a while (30 mins. maybe)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were me, I'd use a little seafoam in the oil of an older engine and then change the oil after the seafoam has been run for a while (30 mins. maybe)
That was my plan. I just wanted to hear what others had to say. I do appreciate everyone's helpful advice.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
i remember watching those old Slick 50 infomercials.

put some slick 50 in it , run it for awhile and then drain all the oil out and run it without oil . i think the motor will still run without oil.

well, that's what they claimed.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Prolong was even better. Copy from their TV ad: Announcer: "...Sandra Bartley has gone an unbelievable four hours and 40 minutes with no oil, no oil filter, or oil plug! {Super: "4 HR 40 MIN 7 SEC"} She's been in stop-and-go city traffic on a hot summer day in Southern California. Freeway driving above 60 miles per hour, as well as steep hills which really put a strain on the engine." (p. 23)

Anyone else figure in the real world you wouldn't make it to the closest exit ramp before the engine seized ??

I'm all for a little Seafoam in the oil to clean up a neglected engine and if you only added a little you can leave it or change it. Just depends on how much cleaning you think or can see the engine needs.
I do take issue with the statement that it doesn't change viscosity since it's very thin. In the proper amount I'm sure it doesn't matter but really how does it not change the viscosity ??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i remember watching those old Slick 50 infomercials.

put some slick 50 in it , run it for awhile and then drain all the oil out and run it without oil . i think the motor will still run without oil.

well, that's what they claimed.
I had to look up and see if they are still in business. They are.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Prolong was even better. Copy from their TV ad: Announcer: "...Sandra Bartley has gone an unbelievable four hours and 40 minutes with no oil, no oil filter, or oil plug! {Super: "4 HR 40 MIN 7 SEC"} She's been in stop-and-go city traffic on a hot summer day in Southern California. Freeway driving above 60 miles per hour, as well as steep hills which really put a strain on the engine." (p. 23)

Anyone else figure in the real world you wouldn't make it to the closest exit ramp before the engine seized ??

I'm all for a little Seafoam in the oil to clean up a neglected engine and if you only added a little you can leave it or change it. Just depends on how much cleaning you think or can see the engine needs.
I do take issue with the statement that it doesn't change viscosity since it's very thin. In the proper amount I'm sure it doesn't matter but really how does it not change the viscosity ??
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/1999/09/prolong-super-lubricants-settles-ftc-charges

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'll swish some around the bottom of the sump after the oil is drained (especially after a break-in) to rinse out any sludge/debris.

I've personally never added it to the oil.
i don't think i would really use it to rinse out the bottom of a sump. it would likely be cheaper to use something like diesel fuel

i would consider running it in the oil of a vehicle but i really don't see it helping a small engine too much. it is not like there is really that many parts for sludge to build up on in a small engine. if you are that worried about keeping an engine clean inside i would possibly toss a splash of ATF in the crankcase with each oil change. shouldn't hurt anything and should help keep the rings free. i usually use ATF to free up anything that is sticking an it is what i usually keep in my oiling can.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i don't think i would really use it to rinse out the bottom of a sump. it would likely be cheaper to use something like diesel fuel

i would consider running it in the oil of a vehicle but i really don't see it helping a small engine too much. it is not like there is really that many parts for sludge to build up on in a small engine. if you are that worried about keeping an engine clean inside i would possibly toss a splash of ATF in the crankcase with each oil change. shouldn't hurt anything and should help keep the rings free. i usually use ATF to free up anything that is sticking an it is what i usually keep in my oiling can.
To each his own i suppose.

I also see no benefit of adding it to oil (the point I failed to make here); I've cracked open my share of small engines and the only place I find build-up is in the bottom of the sump.

With diesel (or old gas) will definitely cut the sludge; I never have any on-hand. Plus, you better be sure to get all of that out. Maybe chase it with a few rinses of MMO or 0W20 and I definitely wouldn't want to get it on any of the bearing surfaces. ...But you're right, at $7 for 16oz bottle, that's some expensive mouthwash!

I recently got a shortblock off of fleabay... the sump still had about 16oz of parts cleaner in it! That engine got broken down to make sure I got it all out and was able to relube the internals.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
ya i have never tor apart a small engine with any build ups in it. the reason i suggested diesel over something like gas is the fact it is oil based. it shouldn't really hurt anything if you don't get it 100% out of the engine. it should probably just mix with the oil and be fine. definitely shouldn't be needed if the engine is healthy tho.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts