Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.. first post! :)

I am probably going to buy an early 80s Toro 724 snow blower today, but it has only the pull start. I think I would like to add electric start in case my wife wants to use it, or just because I can. Has anyone else done this for one of these older Toros? The motor is a 7hp Tecusmseh. Can an electric start even be found this far out?

On a related note, are most parts I might commonly need available for a Toro 724 like this, would I be better off finding a newer unit?

The one I am looking at is said to be in perfect working order and the guy is asking $300... does that seem like a decent price if the machine is in "perfect working order"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

I am probably going to buy an early 80s Toro 724 snow blower today, but it has only the pull start. I think I would like to add electric start in case my wife wants to use it, or just because I can. Has anyone else done this for one of these older Toros? The motor is a 7hp Tecusmseh. Can an electric start even be found this far out?

On a related note, are most parts I might commonly need available for a Toro 724 like this, would I be better off finding a newer unit?

The one I am looking at is said to be in perfect working order and the guy is asking $300... does that seem like a decent price if the machine is in "perfect working order"?

Thanks!
What year is the Toro machine? Since it does not have an electric start on it all ready I would ask for a lower price than the $300 he is asking since equipping it with electric start will cost at least $100 or even more more if you need a new flywheel that has a gear ring on it. If your flywheel already has a gear ring on it then you could go out and buy the starter that was used on this machine when equipped with optional electric start. If you flywheel does not have a gear ring on it then you would need to swap it for a flywheel that has a gear ring on that is made for your engine. My 8hp Briggs flywheel is not equipped with a gear ring on the fly wheel either so if I wanted to put on a starter then I would have to find another flywheel with a gear ring that is made for my Briggs 8hp and swap it out. This plus a starter could mean $150 minimum so I will not do it since it is not worth it to me as long as it starts with the recoil

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

Thanks!
Toro makes a dang good product. However, that might be a little high w/o electric start. As Mark (Gusto Guy) explained, you need to check for the ring gear on the flywheel. Not a hard thjng to do. Standing in front of the machine look on the left side of the engine and see if there is a little metal plate screwed onto the side or maybe you can see into the flywheel and see if you can see gears on the outside of the flywheel. If so, all you need is a starter. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello mrradminsky, welcome to SBF. what you need off the machine is the model number. a quick look on repair clinic.com or partstree.com could answer your question. i don't think i would pay $300 for it even with an electric starter. my briggs powered 826 had the electric starter removed ( mid '70's machine ) and the starter is no longer being made. i found a used starter then had to get the flywheel cover for the starter pinion. both items took time to find so if electric start is a must have item for you pass on this machine

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I will add that often times finding a broken engine or blower with a starter would be cheaper than buying an electric starter. And, look at all the free pieces you get (or can resell for most of what you paid for them).

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I will add that often times finding a broken engine or blower with a starter would be cheaper than buying an electric starter. And, look at all the free pieces you get (or can resell for most of what you paid for them).
Yep. I got a complete running engine with an electric starter for $40.00. Starter for the engine was over $100.00. Shop around a little. Go to repair shops. Craigslist, etc

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
For 300 it should be in perfect working order and be real nice cosmetically. Not that looks are that important but it tells the history of the machine. Works great and looks great it can usually mean it was well taken care of its whole life versus abused but current owner/flipper fixed everything wrong and currently works perfect but who knows what may go wrong.

In my book. $200 if the ring gear for the starter is there. Many tecumseh engine will have a sticker that says "provisions for electric start" somewhere on it and aftermarket starters are readily available. Just put one on a friend's for $60

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
For 300 it should be in perfect working order and be real nice cosmetically. Not that looks are that important but it tells the history of the machine. Works great and looks great it can usually mean it was well taken care of its whole life versus abused but current owner/flipper fixed everything wrong and currently works perfect but who knows what may go wrong.

In my book. $200 if the ring gear for the starter is there. Many tecumseh engine will have a sticker that says "provisions for electric start" somewhere on it and aftermarket starters are readily available. Just put one on a friend's for $60
Where'd you find a $60.00 starter? Dang good price!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
i would like to know too joe cause every starter i find for my 521 cost $76 or more

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I would search eBay for starters guys. At some point in time everything shows up on eBay and usually for a decent price! :)
every starter i find on ebay for my 521 is $76 or more

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
i would like to know too joe cause every starter i find for my 521 cost $76 or more
Hey William,
I just did a searchtempest.com search and found a few under $50.00. One actually was in Detroit. They're all mostly here on the east coast. Are you needing a starter?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Good one on ebay. Good price too.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Hey William,
I just did a searchtempest.com search and found a few under $50.00. One actually was in Detroit. They're all mostly here on the east coast. Are you needing a starter?
there is a guy ( probally he same guy ) on CL selling some starters but the pic's i see look like they go on a riding mower

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
William,
See the one I just posted above your comment.
Do you need a starter?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just sold an electric start at auction on ebay for 5.00. Quite a deal for the new owner!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
did you post it for sale on the forum
There is a for sale section on this site :confused: Gosh If I had known that I would have let you guys on the forum know I had one for sale.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts