Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys posted earlier on a different ariens unit and was sold before i could even get advice on it, found another one this one is a ST724, seller says its about 20 years old, he paid 1174 for it couple years ago that its in great condition garaged kept, saying that has all paperwork and that hes only used about 20 times, he asking $400 but i think good chance I can maybe get for $300. just man seems like a lot for a 20 year old machine, just looking to get your guys opinion if its worth the money. Here are some pictures, my budget is around $300 and this is my first time buying a blower would like something that will last a bit. live in chicago i have a big driveway, its more long then wide, im open to suggestions for something in the $300 range, thank you all again in advanced.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The machine looks to be in great shape, but the price seems a bit high to me, at least based on machines in the Boston area. I think $300 would be more like what I'd be willing to pay. It has an OHV Tecumseh engine, so the machine can't be too old, but it's 7hp.

The larger ST824 is a fairly common machine, and I see them listed on the Chicago Craigslist. This one is $295, 8hp, he claims good condition, though you'd want to get pictures (and maybe post them here) for more details.

Edit, sorry, forgot the link:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/grd/d/gilberts-ariens-snow-thrower/6792350766.html

What kind of storms do you get? How much snow, and is it wet, or dry? If you're getting big storms (say 12"+), and/or it's wet, you want enough power that you can clear quickly. Having more than 7hp, if possible, might be nice. Saying it's a big driveway is a tricky description, since that may mean something different to each person. Any idea of how long and how wide?

·
Registered
668 Posts
How long is your driveway? Single car... double car ..etc? Incline or flat? Any sidewalk to be cleared? If so, how much?

In New England, that ST724 would probably sell for right around $250. Seller might get $300 if the used snow blower market starts to tighten up, but lack of snow has really kept the prices low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey man thanks for your quick response, im pretty sure I can get him down to $300, and from the pics it does look to be in really good shape, im a complete noob with snow blowers so just wanted to make sure a near 20 year old machine was worth the asking price, my driveway is about 150 feet long by about 10-12ft wide. living in chicago we get all kinds of snow, in extreme cases we can get about 12" and up but thats kind of rare. i would say most storms gets up about less then a foot of snow and it can be dry or wet.

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I was looking for snow blower in your market.... I would be ALL OVER this machine. Brand Spanking New for $500 See if you can get another $50.00 off and steal the machine.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/g...797324196.html

Ariens 24 Classic with 208cc engine and 9.5ft/lbs of torque

i get an error when i click the link, any chance you can double check it for me so i can take a peak? thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long is your driveway? Single car... double car ..etc? Incline or flat? Any sidewalk to be cleared? If so, how much?

In New England, that ST724 would probably sell for right around $250. Seller might get $300 if the used snow blower market starts to tighten up, but lack of snow has really kept the prices low.

150 ft long by about 10-12ft wide does have a sidewalk/pathway i have to clear to get to front door 20ft long by maybe 3ft wide, its pretty much flat no incline,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

got it thanks! wow that really is a nice machine, hes about 1.5 hours away from me in Indiana and seems firm on $500 and thats about $200 more then I wanted to spend, but it is brand new, when you factor in a 20 year old machine is 300 and a brand new one is only 200 more it really does make me want to consider the new one.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
For what looks like an unused machine, I'd be firm on the $500 too :) I edited my previous post to add the Craiglist link to the $295 machine I referenced. Sorry, I forgot to add the link originally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what looks like an unused machine, I'd be firm on the $500 too :) I edited my previous post to add the Craiglist link to the $295 machine I referenced. Sorry, I forgot to add the link originally.

thank you i just saw it, reached out to seller for more info thanks. :smile2:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Your decision also depends on how much maintenance you are willing to do. These machines do require some maintenance, even the newer ones. Many forum members here enjoy working on machines, so their inputs may be biased a bit (no offense to any of you). If you are not wanting to do any work, then you will need a dealer/mechanic you can trust, and a newer machine may better fit your needs.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF BigL2G

A 20 year old machine can bring some pretty good money if it's a quality brand and in good shape as parts are still available and it might well be better built than some of the new stuff.
Just depends on if you can do some maintenance yourself or if the idea of going new and getting a warranty sounds easier. Just remember to check into if they come to you or who has to transport it and if there's a charge.
That's if you actually bought new, new.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Good points about needing to be up for checking over a used machine, to ensure it's ready for action, before you need to use it.

There are a lot of DIY folks on the site, for sure. But at some point, as the budget goes down, the likelihood of needing to get your hands a bit dirty goes up :) Fortunately, snowblowers aren't terribly complex machines, and there are lot of people on here willing to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys, i appreciate all the feedback, think im leaning towards the pre owned ones just because i really dont want to spend more then $300 right now, and if these ones im looking at are as in good condition as they claim im hoping ill be ok, i also just came across another ariens 932101 - 824, looks to be in good shape and they are asking for $300, it seems to be a step up from the st724 if I am correct so if that one is good condition I will probably lean towards that. will let you guys know what i decide and hopefully i make a good choice! thank you all so much again

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
donyboy73's YouTube videos are excellent. This is his video about buying a used snowblower, and what to look for:

Good luck! Condition is obviously a factor. But if you can get a more powerful machine, especially for the same price, you'll rarely regret it, as long as it's still in good condition.

PS: You're likely better off with a quality used machine (Ariens, Toro, etc), than a new bargain-priced machine. My current Ariens (from around 2000) was $250, and needed some work. It's been a workhorse for the last 5 years. I would take it, in a heartbeat, over a new $500-750 big-box store machine.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Blower you are looking at is real nice... It is in great shape just by looking. Go for $300.

I would have the person run the engine for you and make sure he runs it for more than 10 seconds.

Make sure it idles at a nice & steady quiet Idle have him run it at full throttle and make sure it runs steady and does not over rev. Run it at full throttle for a minute or two should sound even.

Listen to this video as well but that machine looks clean:

Listen to this video from 7:07 to 7:45.....this how engine should sound when running right. Little bobs are okay at idle. But when adjusting throttle lever from hi to low it should lower rpm and raise Rpm smoothly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts