Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very little small engine experience and absolutely no snowblower experience (never even used one before). I gambled on a 926LE that reportedly worked fine last winter, but wouldn't start out of storage this week. Gas leaked when the primer button was pressed. I was was able to get it started when I got it home, but it ran rough.

I siphoned the tank and put in new gas with seafoam. I changed the oil and the plug. The throttle was sticking open and I got that corrected. I also opened the carb bowl and did some cleaning from underneath.

Looking at a video I did miss removing and cleaning the jet with the cap next to the bowl.

My main concerns are:

1. There appeared to be a couple streaks of gas in the oil when i changed it, but I don't think it was a lot.

2. The spark plug I removed still functioned, but appeared black and greasy. I'm assuming oil. No idea when it was last changed, it could be the original.

3. When started with the choke on and throttle at high it produces smoke. I haven't tried starting it in any other position. It also seems to idle a little rough, but I don't know what's acceptable with these engines. I've run less than a 1/2 gallon of fuel through it so far.

Not sure if it could cause fluid issues, but it was leaned back towards the handles as it was loaded and unloaded in the back of a pickup.

Here is a video of it starting and running. I did have it running for a few minutes about a half hour before I made the video. Sorry the recording seemed to pick up a lot of vibration and rattling noises.

I appreciate all the information I've gathered lurking here and the maintenence videos I used. Is there more I should do, is it probably fine, or does it just need to run more to smooth itself out? Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
sounds fine to me. gas leaking out when tilted back too far is normal. also fuel dripping out when when primed is normal. the oil having a slightly gas smell is also normal. it has most likely never been changed so some residue has likely worked its way into the crankcase. the plug being black isn't a big deal as long as it is running. it is likely running a bit rich but better rich than lean. also full throttle and full choke is how i always start my machines. the smoke is likely just the extra fuel. some dripped on the ground and the rest got sucked into the engine. you could always try priming it less and see if that helps it smoke less on startup.

·
Registered
914 Posts
also sounded fine to me. Keep an eye on the oil now that you have changed it to make sure that gas is not getting in there. Note that the SeaFoam could have contributed to the smoke, you'll have to see if that continues.

tx

Reactions: Mrcove

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hello Mrcove,

Yes it sounds fine at start up and as it warms up. I am glad to see that you have a fan pulling the exhaust out of your shed.

I use a space heater to warm up my snow blowers and everything else in the colder months as it helps when starting all the engines and reduces the engine wear.

Since we do not know when the snow will come and stay it may be worth your time to simply fog the engine with seasfoam engine fogger following the directions on the spray can as directed.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The smoke is blue indicating oil burning which is normal for an old engine on start up.

However, the engine does not sound good to me. It's running rough, not smooth. It's a carburetor problem. If you do not have an adjustment on the bottom of the fuel bowl to smooth out the engine then buy an adjustable carburetor. That will make the engine purr. With that carburetor you are losing power.

Reactions: Mrcove

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Mrcove,

Yes it sounds fine at start up and as it warms up. I am glad to see that you have a fan pulling the exhaust out of your shed.

I use a space heater to warm up my snow blowers and everything else in the colder months as it helps when starting all the engines and reduces the engine wear.

Since we do not know when the snow will come and stay it may be worth your time to simply fog the engine with seasfoam engine fogger following the directions on the spray can as directed.
I learned my lesson after the first start when smoke filled the garage. That is a good idea on the spacer heater. I have one of those costco dish heaters and will make use of it. I will pick up a can of the fogger. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The smoke is blue indicating oil burning which is normal for an old engine on start up.

However, the engine does not sound good to me. It's running rough, not smooth. It's a carburetor problem. If you do not have an adjustment on the bottom of the fuel bowl to smooth out the engine then buy an adjustable carburetor. That will make the engine purr. With that carburetor you are losing power.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try cleaning the jet I missed and see if that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts